We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Effective Machine-like Vaporizer w/pic Options

BananaForeskin
#1 Posted : 5/18/2010 8:06:46 AM

I Eat Plant Magic

Not being of age in this damn country, I don't have easy access to the recommended single-serving glass liquor bottle (but I ran across some plastic ones... so wrong..). However, with a little thought, five minutes of sifting through the materials box, and some shaving, I had a new incarnation of the Machine. It's a piece of 1/4 inch copper tube which has been snugly inserted into a piece of bamboo, with a thinner bamboo mouthpiece inserted into the other end. Not shown is a copper-mesh plug which is inserted into the copper tube. The test run involved 50mg of spice, with a breakthrough after two hits. And from the looks of it, there was still a lot of spice left in the plug afterwards. Personally, I like the aesthetics of it better than the Machine... almost looks like a copper cigarette in a long holder.

BananaForeskin attached the following image(s):
IMG000002.jpg (155kb) downloaded 531 time(s).
¤ø¸„ø¤º°¨¨°º¤ø¸„ø¤º°¨¨°º¤ø¸„ø¤º¨

.^.^.^.^.^.^(0)=õ

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

spaghettiman
#2 Posted : 5/24/2010 5:45:18 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Go to the hood, to a neighborhood that has a lot of crackheads. go to the corner store there. They will sell some glass pipes, tubes of incense, "pens", rose tubes, whatever. they will have the straight shooter glass pipe. a few inches long and 1/4inch wide.

These could be useful in such a construction and are about 1.5$

crack smoking technology is useful for DMT. But, it is important to consider that crack smokers dont have to vape 60mg in 1 minute while having their skull go to mars..... so the average crackhead vaping action isnt going to vape enough for a DMT hit. typical crack and tweaker style pipes fail at blast off....

stevowitz
#3 Posted : 5/24/2010 6:41:28 AM

The Dude

what about a Tabasco sauce bottle? those are perfect I hear...
*We are now at a phase of human development where we have accumulated an enormous amount of knowledge through scientific research in the material world. This is very important knowledge, but it must be integrated. -Hoffman
*A young man who wishes to remain a sound Atheist cannot be too careful of his reading -C.S. Lewis
cephalopods are enlightened -benzyme
T R I P S I T

OpeningPandorasBox
#4 Posted : 5/24/2010 8:05:52 AM

DMT-Nexus member

If you value your health I would throw that piece away asap. Copper is about the most dangerous pipe building material around. Copper releases toxins that can and have killed people. Stick with glass, stainless, and brass only and in that order if you want to be safe.

Dont mean to rain on your parade but dont want to lose a nexus member either.

OpeningPandorasBox is a fictional character created by a very imaginative but delusional person. Anything posted by OpeningPandorasBox should be considered nothing more than the incoherent ramblings of an imaginary alter ego. Under no circumstances should what is posted be considered true experiences, ideas, or advice. As far as matters of the law are concerned since OpeningPandorasBox only exists outside the realms of physical reality he is under no jurisdiction and no one within the physical world should attempt to recreate or reenact any of his fictional activity.

gibran2
#5 Posted : 5/24/2010 2:10:57 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Salvia divinorum expertSenior Member

OpeningPandorasBox wrote:

If you value your health I would throw that piece away asap. Copper is about the most dangerous pipe building material around. Copper releases toxins that can and have killed people. Stick with glass, stainless, and brass only and in that order if you want to be safe.

You recommend brass – are you aware that brass is an alloy of copper and zinc?

Also, if you’re going to make extreme claims, you should back them up with verifiable facts. Misinformation such as yours is never a good thing.

Copper is actually one of the safest, purest materials commonly used for the conveyance of water. In many communities around the world, building codes require it’s use for potable water supplies.

Copper is an element, not an alloy. Metallic copper contains only Cu. No other elements, no toxins.

In non-acidic environments, copper is non-reactive. In acidic environments, copper will react and may produce toxic salts that are harmful if swallowed in sufficient quantity. (Potentially fatal if several grams are consumed.)

Wikipedia wrote:
Copper is essential in all plants and animals. The human body normally contains copper at a level of about 1.4 to 2.1 mg for each kg of body weight. Copper is distributed widely in the body and occurs in liver, muscle and bone.

A typical multivitamin contains 2mg of copper as a dietary supplement.

At very high temperatures, copper may react to produce copper oxides, which may be harmful if ingested in sufficient quantity. Copper has a melting point of 1984.32 °F and a boiling point of 4643 °F.

So unless the copper parts of your device get so hot that they glow red, no oxides will be produced and the device is as safe as any other.
gibran2 is a fictional character. Any resemblance to anyone living or dead is purely coincidental.

BananaForeskin
#6 Posted : 5/24/2010 7:09:28 PM

I Eat Plant Magic

I'm a hobby distiller, so I know about the safety of copper as far as liquids and the body goes, but the thing that really seems to refute the "vaping+copper=hazard" hypothesis is that the Machine also has a copper mesh plug which takes the most heat.

Thanks for the hints as to further vaping bits and pieces... especially regarding the tabasco bottle, that is worth checking out (as long as it's VERY clean beforehand... vaped tobasco, not good). Unfortunately my neck of the woods doesn't have a crack neighborhood, I'd have to go on an adventure to the big city for that one
¤ø¸„ø¤º°¨¨°º¤ø¸„ø¤º°¨¨°º¤ø¸„ø¤º¨

.^.^.^.^.^.^(0)=õ

spaghettiman
#7 Posted : 5/24/2010 7:40:05 PM
DMT-Nexus member

I dont know why everyone thinks copper is so toxic.

you just dont wana a crazy amount of heat. and dont use coppper sponge that is super fine

OpeningPandorasBox
#8 Posted : 6/2/2010 8:12:53 AM

DMT-Nexus member

gibran2 wrote:

You recommend brass – are you aware that brass is an alloy of copper and zinc?

Also, if you’re going to make extreme claims, you should back them up with verifiable facts. Misinformation such as yours is never a good thing.

Copper is actually one of the safest, purest materials commonly used for the conveyance of water. In many communities around the world, building codes require it’s use for potable water supplies.

Copper is an element, not an alloy. Metallic copper contains only Cu. No other elements, no toxins.

In non-acidic environments, copper is non-reactive. In acidic environments, copper will react and may produce toxic salts that are harmful if swallowed in sufficient quantity. (Potentially fatal if several grams are consumed.)

Wikipedia wrote:
Copper is essential in all plants and animals. The human body normally contains copper at a level of about 1.4 to 2.1 mg for each kg of body weight. Copper is distributed widely in the body and occurs in liver, muscle and bone.

A typical multivitamin contains 2mg of copper as a dietary supplement.

At very high temperatures, copper may react to produce copper oxides, which may be harmful if ingested in sufficient quantity. Copper has a melting point of 1984.32 °F and a boiling point of 4643 °F.

So unless the copper parts of your device get so hot that they glow red, no oxides will be produced and the device is as safe as any other.

are you suggesting that an alloy has the same properties of its parts? If so I suggest you look into stainless steel as since it is often times almost 90% steel it should rust quickly.

All im saying is that there are many reports on that dangers of copper made smoking devices. If you disagree congratulations but until a it is proven safe im going to stick with materials that are common in pipes like glass, stainless, and brass. If they were an issue it would have been discovered long ago.
OpeningPandorasBox is a fictional character created by a very imaginative but delusional person. Anything posted by OpeningPandorasBox should be considered nothing more than the incoherent ramblings of an imaginary alter ego. Under no circumstances should what is posted be considered true experiences, ideas, or advice. As far as matters of the law are concerned since OpeningPandorasBox only exists outside the realms of physical reality he is under no jurisdiction and no one within the physical world should attempt to recreate or reenact any of his fictional activity.

gibran2
#9 Posted : 6/2/2010 2:39:06 PM

DMT-Nexus member

...All im saying is that there are many reports on that dangers of copper made smoking devices. If you disagree congratulations but until a it is proven safe im going to stick with materials that are common in pipes like glass, stainless, and brass. If they were an issue it would have been discovered long ago.

I have never seen any academic report or research suggesting or proving that copper is unsafe when used as part of a smoking device. You have now made this claim twice, and haven’t provided any independent source to back up your claim. You say that there are many reports, yet you provide none.

Until I see proof in the form of a research paper or journal article stating that inhaling air warmed by copper heated to well below it’s melting point can cause serious physical harm, up to and including death (as you have claimed), I will continue to assume that the “danger of copper” is an internet myth.

As you have said regarding stainless steel, glass, etc. if there were an issue with copper it would have been discovered long ago.
gibran2 is a fictional character. Any resemblance to anyone living or dead is purely coincidental.

DoingKermit
#10 Posted : 6/3/2010 1:47:10 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Can't we all just get a bong?

gibran2
#11 Posted : 6/3/2010 1:55:50 PM

DMT-Nexus member

DoingKermit wrote:
Can't we all just get a bong?

Yes. A bong with some copper mesh in the bowl to hold our spice! Wink