We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Question regarding color difference in pulls - orange liquid after re-x attempt Options

physics envy
#1 Posted : 6/2/2010 5:08:43 PM

DMT-Nexus member

This is SWIMs second extraction - using STB, and his first time trying to freeze precipitate. His first pull was a light yellow, but second pull was very orangish. Details and pictures below. He is curious as to whether the color will matter and/or if he will need to add a particular step (sodium carb wash maybe?)

Details:
200g MHRB powder
1500ml water
100g NaOH (100%)

* Mixed the contents together in 1gal glass jar by gently rotating and swirling for 30 min.
* Added 125ml Naptha, gently mixed for a few minutes, then let to sit for 30min.
* Siphoned off 80ml of light yellow liquid and put in a flat glass plate and turned a fan on the start to evap.
* A fresh 125ml Naptha was then added to the original mix, stirred gently, and let sit for 20-30min
* Second pull - this time, the liquid siphoned off was orangish, and placed straight into a masonry jar without evaporating.
* By this time, the liquid in the glass plate had evap'd down to 25ml, so it was poured into it's own jar. The fan was turned off and the plate was left to finish drying out over night.
* The two jars were placed in the fridge and then swim went to bed.
* In the morning, pictures were taken, and the two jars were put into the freezer.

Pictures of the 3 are attached below.

You will see jar #1 has many white crystals already precipitating and looks as SWIM expected. Jar 2 also has many crystals starting to precipitate, but you can easily see the orange color. The glass plate has lots of gooey-looking clear and yellow/orange substance on it.

Any advice on what, if anything, needs to be done to the orange batch and/or the glass plate material for best effects? Also, what is the best way to proceed with the stuff evaporating on the glass (Just let it dry out more?)

Thanks so much for a little help and clarification!

physics envy attached the following image(s):
IMG00038-20100602-1102.jpg (372kb) downloaded 49 time(s).
IMG00039-20100602-1107.jpg (455kb) downloaded 49 time(s).
IMG00043-20100602-1117.jpg (439kb) downloaded 49 time(s).
Salvia quid enthusiast

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

wade
#2 Posted : 6/2/2010 5:49:35 PM

wade

The one on the right has lye and mimosa contamination and that is very bad
so please recyrstallize that out of there
so it looks like the left one Very happy

also recrystallize the pan product

physics envy
#3 Posted : 6/2/2010 6:35:59 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Ok thanks for the tip. SWIM will recrystalize...however, in searching the nexus, it is difficult to find a simple tek on recrystalization (first timer). Sounds very simple, but looks like it can be done a number of ways.

Question/Clarification: The jar with the contamination has lots of xtals in it along with the junk. Do I pour out the naptha and save for using during a later pull, and scrape the xtals off the jar and recrystalize those?

UPDATE: Here is what SWIM's done so far...if anyone can verify things are going correctly or not, please let me know! After letting the orange jar freeze for a while, SWIM poured out the naptha which was by now pretty clear (saved the naptha to use for a later pull). The bottom of the jar had a lot of white/brown/orange gunk on bottom. I collected this gunk and mixed in about 30ml of naptha and warmed this up in a hot water bat, swirled it a few minutes, then decanted the liquid. This new liquid is again orangish, and there is a layer of cream colored goo left behind.

For the moment I put the orange liquid back in the fridge until I can find out what the next step should be to clean it up. Since the new liquid is not clear/yellowish, should I do an SC wash on this liquid? Should I let it freeze and re-collect whatever forms and do an SC on it? I suppose if all else fails I just dump it all back into the "mother" mixture and re-pull more carefully, no?

Thanks!

Thanks!
Salvia quid enthusiast