We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
where's the d? Options

threeleggedlion
#1 Posted : 5/31/2010 8:35:33 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Ok..swims extractions have been going well until now. He did stb on 800 g pp bark. The naphtha was dark red/brown instead of yellow. He freeze prec. the solvent and yielded some tan goo/xtals. He added about 30 mL 5% acetic acid to the mixture-this is where he thinks he went wrong- mistakingly not enough to fully dissolve the precipitate. He then basified with ~200 mL saturated sodium carbonate solution (saw a white liquid develop on contact that turned back to the sandy tan color). 60 mL fresh naphtha was used to extract the goodies. The solvent was cloudy tan instead of dark red/brown, so swim cleaned the mystery red junk out.

Now that it's in the freezer for freeze precip it's turning to a nearly white liquid. Did using too little acetic acid prevent the spice from being pulled into the naphtha somehow?

thanks for reading

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

endlessness
#2 Posted : 5/31/2010 11:53:34 AM

DMT-Nexus member

so what you did was re-salt your dmt freebase by adding acetic acid, yes? And then some didnt dissolve again, which is no problem because you you based it again with sodium carbonate anyways. And then you pulled once with 60ml naphtha. Did you throw the rest away after that pull? because one pull is never enough, always make 3 pulls.

how long its in the freezer? It should be turning white/cloudy, that means dmt is precipitating, I dont see whats the problem. Maybe you just need to wait more hours? like at least 12 or so in the coldest setting of the freezer.

Unless you threw something away, dmt wont have dissapeared anywhere.

next time no need to redissolve in acetic acid and all of that trouble, just look up recrystalization. It will clean up your dmt quickly and efficiently

threeleggedlion
#3 Posted : 5/31/2010 12:05:34 PM

DMT-Nexus member

That's exactly what my pet lion did (his english isn't too good, sorry!). So no need to worry about the little amount of acetic acid? He added just enough to cover the spice and then basified. The reason he is worried though is because the solvent is not the usual opaque yellow; it has a dirty milk look to it. I did save the basified solution and will do 2 more pulls.

regarding why no re-x: When swim did his original naphtha pull from the mhrb, a red wine colored solvent resulted. He didn't get any root powder into the solvent. It's a common problem apparently and a re-x won't get rid of the red stuff. Swim read that he needed to do a "mini a/b" on the freebase that was precipitated from the original solvent.

endlessness
#4 Posted : 5/31/2010 12:13:19 PM

DMT-Nexus member

what problem can you imagine would happen with too little acetic acid? I mean, all that is happening is some dmt wont be converting to salt, will stay as a freebase.. but you are anyways adding sodium carb to freebase it and pulling with naphtha, so that should pick up the freebase in any case. (unless you had filtered the acetic acid solution, in which case part of your dmt would have stayed on top of the filter) And yes do more pulls!

who told you a re-x wont get rid of those impurities? re-x should def clean it up

btw, are you sure your naphtha is pure? did you do an evap test on it?

I dont know why you call it looking 'dirty milky'. saturated naphtha SHOULD look milky, thats dmt precipitating. wait for longer with it the freezer

threeleggedlion
#5 Posted : 5/31/2010 12:30:01 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I call it dirty milky because it doesn't look like it normally looks. This time it is more tan or sand colored, instead of bright, but opaque yellow. I just looked in the freezer and it is definitely precipitating something, and a lot of it!

Here's what acolon says about the red naphtha I pulled.

acolon_5 wrote:
Sorry, you got the STB Mystery Red junk.

An A/B is the best and pretty much only way to clean this us. We are not sure what it is, and why it only happens with STB using powdered bark, but it's happened to a lot of us.

BTW: it still yields spice, and still has the effects of normal spice, but it's tainted red.

In this thread https://dmt-nexus.me/for...10&f=45&q=106394

I will post pictures so you can see what I mean exactly.

THANK YOU FOR THE QUICK REPLIES!!!

endlessness
#6 Posted : 5/31/2010 12:38:44 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I dont know about acolon's experience with this, maybe he can give his input. What I do know is that recrystalization is an amazingly effective way of cleaning up dmt because it is so selective. I really cannot imagine that a couple of recrystalizations wont clean that up, but maybe someone tried and knows otherwise. I would def recrystalize it

and yeah do post pictures

btw you didnt answer, are you sure you got clean naphtha?

threeleggedlion
#7 Posted : 5/31/2010 12:40:28 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Yes I'm positive. It's the same brand I've been using with good results. The only thing I changed this go around was the bark source, as recommended by others.

gibran2
#8 Posted : 5/31/2010 1:03:20 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Salvia divinorum expertSenior Member

I had the same problem with an extraction once. I tend to think that extremely small particles of powdered bark get suspended in the naphtha. When this happens (at least in my case) re-crystallization was very inefficient at removing the impurities.

I did an A/B on the product (which I called brown sugar spice, since that's exactly what it looked like), and that got it all out.

Sometimes when freeze precipitating, especially if you’ve got loads of product in your solution (grams) and your solution is saturated and your freezer is very cold, the crystals that form will be so small that you’ll just get a solid mat of product on the container bottom. It may look like your not getting product, but there’s plenty there.
gibran2 is a fictional character. Any resemblance to anyone living or dead is purely coincidental.