We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Kava extraction questions Options

Denargle
#1 Posted : 5/27/2010 6:29:47 PM

Jared

So i have 4 pounds of kava root from vanuatu coming my way that i plan making a kava extract with. I know kavalectones are soluble in acetone co2 ethanol and a few other solvents, which solvent do you think would extract the most kavalectones? I was Thinking of taking the kava sticking it in a jar with the solvent and letting it sit for several months and then evaporating the solvent do you think this is an effective method to make a kava extract?

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

Seven
#2 Posted : 5/27/2010 7:51:20 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I tried this with a small amount of kava. I soaked in ethanol for like a week, then evapped. It basically left a super sticky thick yellow resin. Very hard to work with imo.
The universe is an infinite harmony of vibrating beings in an elaborate range of expansion-contraction ratios, frequency modulations, and so forth.

Phlux-
#3 Posted : 5/27/2010 9:55:50 PM

The Root

Chemical expertSenior Member

soaking in ethanol for a week worked well for me - as did acetone.
if i were to do it again id use methanol.
the final product is like super numbing - almost like a local anesthetic.
antrocles wrote:
...purity of intent....purity of execution....purity of experience...

...unlike the "blind leading the blind". we are more akin to a group of blind-from-birth people who have all simultaneously been given the gift of sight but have no words or mental processing capabilites to work with this new "gift".

IT IS ONLY TO THE EXTENT THAT WE ARE WILLING TO EXPOSE OURSELVES OVER AND OVER AGAIN TO ANNIHILATION THAT WE DISCOVER THAT PART OF OURSELVES THAT IS INDESTRUCTIBLE.

Quote:
‹Jorkest› the wall is impenetrable as far as i can tell

Quote:
‹xtechre› cheese is great

He who packs ur capsules - controls your destiny.

69ron
#4 Posted : 5/28/2010 1:44:55 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Phlux- wrote:
soaking in ethanol for a week worked well for me - as did acetone.
if i were to do it again id use methanol.
the final product is like super numbing - almost like a local anesthetic.

How concentrated would you say it is? 10x? 20x?
You may remember me as 69Ron. I was suspended years ago for selling bunk products under false pretenses. I try to sneak back from time to time under different names, but unfortunately, the moderators of the DMT-Nexus are infinitely smarter than I am.

If you see me at the waterpark, please say hello. I'll be the delusional 50 something in the American flag Speedo, oiling up his monster guns while responding to imaginary requests for selfies from invisible teenage girls.

Denargle
#5 Posted : 5/28/2010 4:17:40 AM

Jared

I was doing a little reading on methanol and wikipedia says 10 ml of it will make you go blind do you think all the methanol will evaporate will it leave any residue?

69ron
#6 Posted : 5/28/2010 7:57:17 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Denargle wrote:
I was doing a little reading on methanol and wikipedia says 10 ml of it will make you go blind do you think all the methanol will evaporate will it leave any residue?

For that reason alone I would not use methanol.
You may remember me as 69Ron. I was suspended years ago for selling bunk products under false pretenses. I try to sneak back from time to time under different names, but unfortunately, the moderators of the DMT-Nexus are infinitely smarter than I am.

If you see me at the waterpark, please say hello. I'll be the delusional 50 something in the American flag Speedo, oiling up his monster guns while responding to imaginary requests for selfies from invisible teenage girls.

Phlux-
#7 Posted : 5/28/2010 12:05:42 PM

The Root

Chemical expertSenior Member

oh come on.

who's gona drink methanol - and always after using it there is a cleanup step.
methanol is my best alcahol - just as dcm is my best non polar solvent (damn nasty stuff tho)
consume the product not the tools (when eating supper you dont eat the fork do u ?)
antrocles wrote:
...purity of intent....purity of execution....purity of experience...

...unlike the "blind leading the blind". we are more akin to a group of blind-from-birth people who have all simultaneously been given the gift of sight but have no words or mental processing capabilites to work with this new "gift".

IT IS ONLY TO THE EXTENT THAT WE ARE WILLING TO EXPOSE OURSELVES OVER AND OVER AGAIN TO ANNIHILATION THAT WE DISCOVER THAT PART OF OURSELVES THAT IS INDESTRUCTIBLE.

Quote:
‹Jorkest› the wall is impenetrable as far as i can tell

Quote:
‹xtechre› cheese is great

He who packs ur capsules - controls your destiny.

Trickster
#8 Posted : 5/28/2010 4:02:03 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Chemical expert

I've used IPA with great success. 2.5 hours in CSLE extractor was all it took. Plus an hour to distill IPA. Plus ~3 hr to evap remaining IPA from the final product.
Do not seek the truth, just drop your opinions.

Denargle
#9 Posted : 5/28/2010 8:20:50 PM

Jared

phlux what exactly is the cleanup step when using methanol? Are u positive all the methanol will evaporate and not leave any trace amounts? Trickster what Is a csle extractor?

69ron
#10 Posted : 5/29/2010 1:00:46 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Phlux- wrote:
oh come on.

who's gona drink methanol - and always after using it there is a cleanup step.
methanol is my best alcahol - just as dcm is my best non polar solvent (damn nasty stuff tho)
consume the product not the tools (when eating supper you dont eat the fork do u ?)

Methanol is a great solvent for certain things, I agree on that, but you need to know what you’re doing. An amateur can get themselves into a lot of trouble with it. You need to make absolute sure there’s none left in the final product.

Denargle wrote:
phlux what exactly is the cleanup step when using methanol? Are u positive all the methanol will evaporate and not leave any trace amounts? Trickster what Is a csle extractor?

This is the problem. If there are trace amounts left, it’s not good for you. Sure trace amounts won’t make you blind, but it’s still not good for you. As long as it’s all removed in the final product you have no worries. Acetone or IPA are safer than methanol. Acetone evaporates real easily and fast so there are far less chances of there being any residue left in the final product, and even there was, acetone is a normal part of the human metabolism. IPA doesn’t evaporate so fast, but IPA residue is much safer than methanol residue.

But methanol is a great solvent, one of the best actually. Methanol and DCM are super powerful solvents, but both very toxic, so if you use them, make sure there’s none left in your final product, and you should be fine.

Trickster
#11 Posted : 5/30/2010 2:34:58 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Chemical expert

Denargle wrote:
Trickster what Is a csle extractor?

It's here.
Do not seek the truth, just drop your opinions.