We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
PREV12
Using enzymes to boost yeilds Options

Kazoo...
#21 Posted : 5/22/2010 2:01:29 AM

ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

i started a thread proposing working with enzymes a while back, the one i thought of first was Papain, because it happened to be in my medicine cabinet at the time, alas no research was conducted by me and the idea was returned to the shelf because as Crystalito so eloquently put it "the inertia of "known methods" was hard to overcome"........Wink

heres a link: using "papain" to break down plant proteins
Sometimes the lights all shining on me, other times I can barely see....

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

benzyme
#22 Posted : 5/22/2010 5:34:03 AM

analytical chemist

Moderator | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertExtreme Chemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertChemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertSenior Member | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expert

enzymes which hydrolyze polysaccharides would be more appropriate than proteases. cellullose is a polysaccharide.
an [enzyme] bioreactor with a stirrer would be the vessel to conduct such an experiment, but those are $$$

something cheaper could be devised, but a method of stirring is not optional, it's a necessity.

on another note, a protease might be useful in the extraction of psilocin, for obvious reasons.
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted." ~ hassan i sabbah
"Experiments are the only means of attaining knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." -Max Planck

Czepa
#23 Posted : 5/22/2010 6:27:17 AM

DMT-Nexus member

so we can just buy this stuff and mix some of it in with our acid cook before we do a vinegar/lye A/B extraction?
Sir Terrence McKenna: "and what is real: is you, and your friends, and your associations, your highs, your orgasms your hopes your plans your fears... and were told. no. we're unimportant, we're peripherial. get a degree, get a job, get a this, get a that. and then your a player, (but) you dont even want to play that game? (well) you want to re-claim your mind and get it out of the hands of the cultural engineers: who want to turn you into a half-baked moron consuming all this trash thats being manufactured out of the bones of a dying world. ¿where is that at?"

"But now technology throws a curve. and the curve is that we live so long, that we figure out what a scam this is. we figure out that what your supposed to work for isn't worth having, we figure out that our politicians are buffoons, we figure out that professional scientists are reputation building gravitating weasels. we discover that all organizations are corrupted by ambition. we figure. it. out... and as you come to see that you are alienated you realise that culture is not your friend."

benzyme
#24 Posted : 5/22/2010 3:24:46 PM

analytical chemist

Moderator | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertExtreme Chemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertChemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertSenior Member | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expert

no

it would need to be mixed with a buffer solution, not acid
"Experiments are the only means of attaining knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." -Max Planck

State of the Mind
#25 Posted : 5/22/2010 3:44:49 PM

DMT-Nexus member

The idea of using enzymes is a brilliant one. However you have got to ask a few questions.

How much is the use of enzymes really going to improve your yield?
Is the price of some of the enzymes really worth it?

Also, you mentioned pectolase, it is used in homebrewing to mainly to reduce pectin hazes. Basically it breaks down the insoluble pectin molecules that produce a haze in wines and some ciders. however, pectin is mostly found in the fruits of plants, not in their roots, as a result the use of pectin on MHRB would be needless.

You also raised the point of using cellulase, which I think could be quite useful as it will break the MHRB down to allow more goodies to be extracted.

However a problem that will have to be addressed, is that enzymes need to be at an optimum pH and temperature to work. For cellulase: 40-60ºC and a pH between 4 & 5. This seems to be a lot of effort and for the increase in yield that you would be gaining, it does not seem worthwhile
People spend their lives searching for perfect moments and fail to see, that there are many unappreciated perfect moments everyday that are overlooked.

benzyme
#26 Posted : 5/22/2010 4:01:14 PM

analytical chemist

it probably isn't.

while enzymes are incredible biological machines, the gains realized for this would be marginal at best, if any at all. it's not a cost-effective method for this particular application, and most likely has no real advantage yield-wise over acid or base hydrolysis.

PREV12