We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Bobinsana (Calliandra angustifolia) Options

ohayoco
#1 Posted : 5/21/2010 6:35:44 PM
DMT-Nexus member

I have some leaves of this plant. I'd be grateful if anyone who has experience with it could give me a rundown, specifically on dosages and preparations.

I'm primarily interested in its use as an ayawaska admixture, but I'm also interested in its use on its own.

My 'desk research' so far will follow.
Everything I write is fictional roleplay. Obviously! End tribal genocide: www.survival-international.org Quick petitions for meaningful change: www.avaaz.org/en/
End prohibition: www.leap.cc www.tdpf.org.uk And "Feeling Good" by David D.Burns MD is a very useful book.

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

ohayoco
#2 Posted : 5/21/2010 6:36:27 PM
DMT-Nexus member

http://maya-ethnobotanicals.com/buy-bobinsana wrote:
The chemical constituents in bobinsana are not well documented. It is believed to contain harmala alkaloids, amino acids, cyanogenic glycosides, flavonoids, tannins, saponins, and sterols. Two studies reports the presence of several pipecolic acids.

Historical

This plant has been well known for centuries as a powerful healing plant. Traditionally a decoction of the bark is used. Indigenous people from Rio Pastaza use this plant, when they have to swim a river or fight. People of the Peruvian Amazon also grate the bark into baths.
Bobinsana is used by the Indians as an adjunctive ingredient in various Ayahuasca recipes in the Amazon, sometimes interchangeably with Chacruna. It is considered a "plant teacher" and is sometimes added to Ayahuasca recipes to help the shamans connect to and learn from the plants on a spiritual level.

http://www.erowid.org/library/books_online/ayahuasca_apa/aya_sec3_part3_admixtures_byspecies.shtml wrote:
Calliandra angustifolia Spruce ex Bentham [Leguminosae] Ott 1994 and Bianchi & Samorini 1993 and McKenna et al. 1986 cited Luna 1984b. McKenna et al. 1986 cited López Guillen & De Cornelio 1974b and Luna 1984b. Ott was told by a Shuar ayahuascero that Calliandra bark was added to ayahuasca interchangeably with chacruna; p. 31 in Ott 1994 See also Schultes & Raffauf 1990. Used as admixture by Mestizos in Iquitos region. Luna 1984b citing Soukop 1970. Said to be cultivated for purely ornamental purposes by the Kofán. Schultes 1983c.

http://www.rain-tree.com/bobinsana.htm wrote:
TRIBAL AND HERBAL MEDICINE USES

In the Amazon, the Indians of the Rio Pastaza consider bobinsana to be a stimulant. They prepare a decoction of the roots to take for strength and energy. The Shipibo-Conibo Indians in the Ucayali area of Peru call the tree semein and prepare a bark tincture for rheumatism, arthritis, colds, uterine disorders, and edema (or water retention). The indigenous people and tribes in the Madre de Dios region of the Peruvian Amazon prepare a bark tincture (with aguardiente) for bone pain, arthritis, rheumatism, and colds. They also grate the bark into baths to increase resistance to sickness and to resist the cold and chills.

Bobinsana is also used by the Indians as an adjunctive ingredient in various ayahuasca recipes in the Amazon. Ayahuasca is a phytochemically-rich combination of plants brewed by Indian shamans to connect to the spirit world. Through a series of reactions among chemicals from several plants working together, a hallucinogenic plant extract is created. While bobinsana is not itself a hallucinogen, it is considered a "plant teacher" and is sometimes added to ayahuasca recipes to help the shamans connect to and learn from the plants on a spiritual level.

In Peruvian herbal medicine systems a decoction of the bark is prepared and it is considered to be anti-rheumatic, contraceptive, tonic, stimulant, and depurative. A bark decoction is also used for dyspnea (shortness of breath). A decoction of the roots is recommended for uterine cancer and as a depurative (blood cleanser) as well. A decoction of the entire plant (leaves, stem, twigs, flowers) is prepared as a decoction as a general energizing tonic.
Contraindications: Bobinsana is traditionally used as a contraceptive in Peru. While there is no research to confirm this possible action, those seeking to get pregnant should probably avoid this plant.

I've checked the aya forums but found nothing of consequence on it.
Everything I write is fictional roleplay. Obviously! End tribal genocide: www.survival-international.org Quick petitions for meaningful change: www.avaaz.org/en/
End prohibition: www.leap.cc www.tdpf.org.uk And "Feeling Good" by David D.Burns MD is a very useful book.