We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Heating naphtha Options

Rance
#1 Posted : 5/19/2010 10:38:59 PM
DMT-Nexus member

SWIM is a bit scared about heating naptha, it doesn't look a very prudent thing to do. How do you do this safely?

One more question: Can SWIM achieve nice yields doing an a/b extraction using cold naphtha instead of warm naphtha?

Thanks!

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

hedcase
#2 Posted : 5/19/2010 11:04:37 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Rance wrote:
SWIM is a bit scared about heating naptha, it doesn't look a very prudent thing to do. How do you do this safely?

One more question: Can SWIM achieve nice yields doing an a/b extraction using cold naphtha instead of warm naphtha?

Thanks!
Here's what I do..heat water in small pot..use a mason jar, loosely covered with naptha you want heated inside.Then I use a metal strainer that sits on the edge of the pot and dips in the water and put the mason jar in it so that it sits suspended in the water, without touching the hot pot.
On my back and tumbling
Down that hole and back again
Rising up
And wiping the webs and the dew from my withered eye.

Rance
#3 Posted : 5/19/2010 11:31:19 PM
DMT-Nexus member

hedcase wrote:
Rance wrote:

Thanks!
Here's what I do..heat water in small pot..use a mason jar, loosely covered with naptha you want heated inside.Then I use a metal strainer that sits on the edge of the pot and dips in the water and put the mason jar in it so that it sits suspended in the water, without touching the hot pot.

Nice! That seems to be a really good method. Thank you. Very happy

Anymore possibilities?

DeMenTed
#4 Posted : 5/19/2010 11:41:04 PM

Barry

Electric hob with saucepan of boiling kettle water, bring back to the boil and hold glass in water using gloves or paper towels so the steam doesnt burn you.
Ive had no problems with the glass touching the bottom of the pan. Take off heat and let settle and repeat a few times until naptha is hot.

picatris
#5 Posted : 5/19/2010 11:47:34 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Rance wrote:

Anymore possibilities?

Don't heat up the naphtha! My friend's never does it. However, keep the basified solution hot, about 60-70 C. Thus when adding the naphtha, it will warm up by contact up to the same temperature.

Temperature is key here and hot is better than cold. Hot solutions and naphtha produce the best yields, but my lab friends do not ever heat it separately. If you feel that after 1 or 2 pulls the basified solution is not as hot it was before, you can heat it up carefully but without the flamability risk of naphtha

"The elfclowns of hyperspace are already juggling in the center ring. Hurry! Hurry!" T.M

hedcase
#6 Posted : 5/19/2010 11:54:38 PM

DMT-Nexus member

http://www.recipetips.co.../glossary/s/strainer.jpg
use one of these.
On my back and tumbling
Down that hole and back again
Rising up
And wiping the webs and the dew from my withered eye.

Samadhi-Sukha-Upekkha
#7 Posted : 5/21/2010 2:13:16 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Location: Not separate from the rest of the universe. So, everywhere.
My friend uses an electric kettle to get the water to whatever temperature he wants, then he pours the water into a large plastic mixing bowl. He then sets the container he's heating into the hot water bath. He either uses small plastic tupperware containers that float, or large glass containers with tops higher than the water level. This seems to work fine, and no breakages have been reported -- then again, he only uses tempered glassware, and perhaps regular glassware would shatter upon sudden exposure to boiling water. Be careful.