We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Seperating dust from spice Options

whatami
#1 Posted : 5/9/2010 5:28:50 PM

DMT-Nexus member

First time greetings and love to all, here at the Nexus.

SWIM recently obtained some spice from a friend of hers - it contains orange flakes (the spice) which surround what appears to be dust (black and seemingly made up of tiny threads). This wouldn't be such a problem for her, but she would prefer that it were not there so as to more accurately measure her doses. Any ideas on how to separate the two and be left with just the orange spice?

Thank you, all

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

endlessness
#2 Posted : 5/9/2010 6:02:06 PM

DMT-Nexus member

redissolving in some solvent (could be ethanol, IPA, acetone, or also naphtha.. just make sure its something that evaps clean), filtering and evapping again is the only really effective way of doing it, that I can imagine. Remember to run a bit of fresh solvent through the filter afterwards to pick up any dmt-filled solvent that was absorbed by the filter

CrushNazT
#3 Posted : 5/9/2010 6:03:23 PM

DMT-Nexus member

DELETED

whatami
#4 Posted : 5/10/2010 1:39:11 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Major gratitude for the replies,

SWIM melted down the spice in a little jar (using a hot water bath), and warmed up some 99% IPA (also in a hot water bath - CAREFULLY!!); poured the warm IPA into the spice jar, mixed around and then filtered (with a coffee filter) into a pyrex dish. SWIM did a few pulls this way to make sure to get all of that good stuff. SWIM eliminated all of the dark lint: the lint turned out to be about 5% of the original weight; however, it looked like ~50% of the volume! Definitely lost a bit of the good stuff in process but SWIM thinks it was well worth it.

Peace and love

CrushNazT
#5 Posted : 5/10/2010 4:39:17 AM

DMT-Nexus member

DELETED

stevowitz
#6 Posted : 5/10/2010 4:47:30 AM

The Dude

CrushNazT wrote:
Did you freeze precipitate or evaporate the solution? I would definitely go for the freeze precipitate next time I do it. I just watched a friend pour out the solution from 100 grams of bark through a coffee filter and it was completely white. It was absolutely beautiful.

oh yes...those are the best batches :]
*We are now at a phase of human development where we have accumulated an enormous amount of knowledge through scientific research in the material world. This is very important knowledge, but it must be integrated. -Hoffman
*A young man who wishes to remain a sound Atheist cannot be too careful of his reading -C.S. Lewis
cephalopods are enlightened -benzyme
T R I P S I T

endlessness
#7 Posted : 5/10/2010 9:12:26 AM

DMT-Nexus member

IPA wont freeze precipitate though, freeze precip will only work with naphtha/heptane/hexane in the case of dmt

whatami
#8 Posted : 5/10/2010 5:07:42 PM

DMT-Nexus member

SWIM was just going to ask about freeze precipitating IPA -- thank you for clarifying. Via evaporation (fan on low setting), SWIM has some nice orange disk-shaped crystals.

Gratitude to everyone in the thread