We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
unbelievable Peruvian torch growth Options

mogascreeta
#1 Posted : 5/6/2010 7:32:54 PM

DMT-Nexus member

i just thought i would share this info with the nexus because i think it woould benefit many.
i have only been growing my P Torchs with water and nothing else, but last week, i decided i would try using these nutes that are normally used for growing... tomatosWink http://cgi.ebay.com/Humb...amp;hash=item7216789c8d.

the results were unbelievable i had 1/2 inch growth in 24hrs after feeding with full strength nutrient solution. i waited till this week before i fed again just to test it out again. 2 days ago i fed it and had yet another 1/2 inch of growth. i am extremely impressed with the results of this little experiment using hydroponic nutes on cactus.

i would say that growth with the nutes is over 10x that of without nutes
"I'm creeping back to life, my nervous system all awry, I'm wearing the inside out. Look at him now, he's paler somehow, but he's coming round. He's starting to choke It's been so long since he spoke, well he can have the words right from my mouth. And with these words I can see, clear through the clouds that covered me, Just give it time then speak my name. now we can hear ourselves again" Pink Floyd- Wearing the Inside Out
Mogascreeta is a pathological liar and should not be taken seriously under any circumstance.

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

lyserge
#2 Posted : 5/6/2010 9:51:24 PM

polyfather anomalous

Hmm, that's surprising given the different needs of cacti and Humboldt County "tomatoes". Here's what I found on the New Zealand Cacti and Succulents Society website, maybe this will shed some light for you:

"As a rule Cacti and Succulents don't require much fertiliser, except certain species (Orchid or Epiphytic cactus) or those overdue for a repot. The Fertiliser must not be high in Nitrogen, otherwise the plant will be "forced" and grow out of character or more seriously be prone to disease or rot and less likely to flower in some species. Cacti will have less pronounced spines. A half to quarter strength Tomato fertiliser is usually a good one to use in the growing season. pH can a big part in availability of nutrients to the plant."
"...I didn't know that Cheshire cats always grinned; in fact, I didn't know that cats could grin..." - Alice's Adventures in Wonderland

mogascreeta
#3 Posted : 5/7/2010 6:54:28 PM

DMT-Nexus member

im sure someone on this website can shed some light on this. i chose to use a fertilizer high in nitrogen in order to aid in alkaloid production. i dont know if it acyually help or not but the growth rate is ridiculous nevertheless
"I'm creeping back to life, my nervous system all awry, I'm wearing the inside out. Look at him now, he's paler somehow, but he's coming round. He's starting to choke It's been so long since he spoke, well he can have the words right from my mouth. And with these words I can see, clear through the clouds that covered me, Just give it time then speak my name. now we can hear ourselves again" Pink Floyd- Wearing the Inside Out
Mogascreeta is a pathological liar and should not be taken seriously under any circumstance.

Adivino
#4 Posted : 5/7/2010 10:41:01 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I know for instance that the plants of tomatoes and watermelons don't like to be watered. You could think that they need a lot of water because both tomatoes and watermelons contain a lot of water, but that's not really the case. The reason is that the water they gather make the fruits attractive to the predators in a dry terrain, making the seeds more readily available. It's natural selection at work. If the watermelon plant had a lot of water, why would it even bother to storage it?

I'm guessing here, but I think that the same could happen with alkaloids: they contain nitrogen. Making a lot of nitrogen available to the cactus may provoke the opposite to the desired effect. But post the results... maybe I'm mistaken.
The text above was typed by frenzy monkeys randomly hitting their keyboards.

Infundibulum
#5 Posted : 5/7/2010 11:24:47 PM

Kalt und Heiß, Schwarz und Rot, Kürper und Geist, Liebe und Chaos

ModeratorChemical expert

mogascreeta wrote:
i chose to use a fertilizer high in nitrogen in order to aid in alkaloid production.

this reasoning is wrong.

btw, plants just like animals, fungi, bacteria etc use nitrogen to make primarily proteins and nucleic acids. Both are absolutely necessary for growth.

Need to calculate between salts and freebases? Click here!
Need to calculate freebase or salt percentage at a given pH? Click here!

antichode
#6 Posted : 5/8/2010 8:12:13 AM

DMT-Nexus member

What your plants are experiencing are just growth spurts due to the nutes. If you keep it up your plants will start to look very strange, with fat and skinny bits as they grow.

For the most consistent growth, slow release ferts should be used.

obliguhl
#7 Posted : 5/8/2010 9:35:03 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Who cares about weird looking plants, if you just want to eat them?

Observant
#8 Posted : 5/8/2010 3:19:51 PM

Nothing Stops The Void

But who says these cacti will also have a fast alkaloid production ?

Had he more quickly realized just who they were,he would have shown them more respect.Had he tried harder to fathom their brilliant minds,he would have taken more of their teachings to heart.Had he more clearly understood the purpose of their being,
he would have more vigorously tried to assist them.They were truly honorable; he was sadly prejudiced.
They were exceedingly well informed; he was grossly ignorant.They were totally indefatigable; he so often, and so quickly,gave up. Still, for many years there was a strong inter-species alliance between the Eleven-Eleven of the Half-way Realm, their Seraphic Associates,and their flesh-and-blood friend, a common mortal. Much was accomplished, many profited, and, there’s only one regret...They could have achieved so much more...

All Hypnotizing Hypnotizes Hypnotizing