We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
What is this? (nomanclature) Options

Xt
#1 Posted : 5/4/2010 2:06:28 AM

H H O H H
| | ||| |
H-C-C-O-C-C-C-H
| | | |
H H H H

So basicly that is ethyl (2 carbons) single bonded to oxygen, single bonded to a carbon (that has an oxygen double bonded to it), and then an ethyl on the end of that.

“Right here and now, one quanta away, there is raging a universe of active intelligence that is transhuman, hyperdimensional, and extremely alien... What is driving religious feeling today is a wish for contact with this other universe.”
― Terence McKenna

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

Entropymancer
#2 Posted : 5/4/2010 2:13:04 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Salvia divinorum expert | Skills: Information Location, Salvia divinorumExtraordinary knowledge | Skills: Information Location, Salvia divinorumModerator | Skills: Information Location, Salvia divinorumChemical expert | Skills: Information Location, Salvia divinorumSenior Member | Skills: Information Location, Salvia divinorum

I cant discern the structure from the diagram you posted, its impossible to tell what's bonded where... but it sounds like you're describing an ester (specifically ethyl propanoate)

Ginkgo
#3 Posted : 5/4/2010 2:17:20 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I have absolutely no idea, where and in what connection did you find it? It's not an alkaloid, and does not resemble anything I remember seeing. I have added a picture that shows the structure better, as your attempt on the diagram failed. For some reason more than one space is not shown in the forums, so it's not that easy to 'draw'.
Ginkgo attached the following image(s):
mystery substance.png (2kb) downloaded 59 time(s).

Infundibulum
#4 Posted : 5/4/2010 2:26:45 AM

Kalt und Heiß, Schwarz und Rot, Kürper und Geist, Liebe und Chaos

ModeratorChemical expert

Entropymancer wrote:
I cant discern the structure from the diagram you posted, its impossible to tell what's bonded where... but it sounds like you're describing an ester (specifically ethyl propanoate)

yup

Need to calculate between salts and freebases? Click here!
Need to calculate freebase or salt percentage at a given pH? Click here!

Xt
#5 Posted : 5/4/2010 2:36:56 AM

Indeed EthylPropanoate. Sorry for the bad diagram. I could really do with getting some program for that.
I worked it out. Thanks for the replys anyway!

I was simply being dim. Esters are neat.

“Right here and now, one quanta away, there is raging a universe of active intelligence that is transhuman, hyperdimensional, and extremely alien... What is driving religious feeling today is a wish for contact with this other universe.”
― Terence McKenna

Infundibulum
#6 Posted : 5/4/2010 2:45:29 AM

Kalt und Heiß, Schwarz und Rot, Kürper und Geist, Liebe und Chaos

ModeratorChemical expert

xtechre wrote:
I was simply being dim. Esters are neat.

Sure they are. Esp for those who brew beer, esters formed by yeasts contribute to the fruitiness and spiciness of the beer. Ethyl acetate mainly and to a lesser extent ethyl propionate contribute to fruity smells and tastes in brews like wheat beer.

Need to calculate between salts and freebases? Click here!
Need to calculate freebase or salt percentage at a given pH? Click here!