We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Genuine turpentine as a spice solvent Options

Phlux-
#1 Posted : 4/29/2010 10:11:08 PM

The Root

Chemical expertSenior Member

some pulls done with turps - turps forgotten about on purpose for 3 days - massive precip.
1 pull done - very nice and visible - its like the spice was mostly suspended - then more came out.

looks like this could be the natural solvent to fp from - thereby making pure spice with no petrochems a possibility.

il keep this thread updated as the experiment moves foreward.
antrocles wrote:
...purity of intent....purity of execution....purity of experience...

...unlike the "blind leading the blind". we are more akin to a group of blind-from-birth people who have all simultaneously been given the gift of sight but have no words or mental processing capabilites to work with this new "gift".

IT IS ONLY TO THE EXTENT THAT WE ARE WILLING TO EXPOSE OURSELVES OVER AND OVER AGAIN TO ANNIHILATION THAT WE DISCOVER THAT PART OF OURSELVES THAT IS INDESTRUCTIBLE.

Quote:
‹Jorkest› the wall is impenetrable as far as i can tell

Quote:
‹xtechre› cheese is great

He who packs ur capsules - controls your destiny.

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

Phlux-
#2 Posted : 4/29/2010 10:31:53 PM

The Root

silly but worth mentioning - both aegle and i can smell the spice in that cup over the smell of the turpentine - this is looking super promising - also there looks to be a lot in there - almost a solid layer on the bottom - if this is functioning as expected - yeild looks awesome and its a linear extraction - no going back to salt form at any time.
antrocles wrote:

...unlike the "blind leading the blind". we are more akin to a group of blind-from-birth people who have all simultaneously been given the gift of sight but have no words or mental processing capabilites to work with this new "gift".

IT IS ONLY TO THE EXTENT THAT WE ARE WILLING TO EXPOSE OURSELVES OVER AND OVER AGAIN TO ANNIHILATION THAT WE DISCOVER THAT PART OF OURSELVES THAT IS INDESTRUCTIBLE.

Quote:

Quote:

narmz
#3 Posted : 4/29/2010 11:52:07 PM

DMT-Nexus member

SWIM was doing very similar experiments with turpentine - are those being salted out or precipped by freezing? SWIM's experiment failed when trying to salt using ipa and fumaric acid, nothing precipped (was pulling from yohimbe bark, so who the heck knows). Would love to know what route ya took.
Everything I post is made up fiction. SWIM represents a character who is not based in or on reality.

greymatter
#4 Posted : 4/29/2010 11:53:58 PM

DMT-Nexus member

i asked here and was told here that turpentine is unacceptable as a solvent...i wish you luck...i always thought it would work...i was only discouraged...please keep us up to speed

Oncewas
#5 Posted : 4/30/2010 3:32:45 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Whats the difference between turpentine and genuine turpentine?

Phlux-
#6 Posted : 4/30/2010 10:26:03 AM

The Root

from wiki

turps

Mineral turpentine, also known as turpentine substitute, turps substitute, or just turps is an inexpensive petroleum-based replacement for the vegetable-based turpentine. It is commonly used as a paint thinner for thinning oil-based paint and cleaning brushes, and as an organic solvent in other applications.

Mineral turpentine is a hydrotreated light distillate of petroleum, and consists of a complex mixture of highly refined hydrocarbon distillates mainly in the C9-C16 range. The material is a colorless transparent liquid at room temperature. The liquid is highly volatile and the vapours are flammable. It can be a very dangerous inhalant.

and genuine turpentine

Turpentine (also called spirit of turpentine, oil of turpentine, and wood turpentine) is a fluid obtained by the distillation of resin obtained from trees, mainly pine trees. It is composed of terpenes, mainly the monoterpenes alpha-pinene and beta-pinene. It is sometimes known colloquially as turps, but this more often refers to turpentine substitute (or mineral turpentine).

The word turpentine derives (via French and Latin) from the Greek word terebinthine, the name of a species of tree, the terebinth tree, from whose sap the spirit was originally distilled.[1]

antrocles wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

Gir
#7 Posted : 4/30/2010 9:45:45 PM

Gir

narmz wrote:
are those being salted out or precipped by freezing?

^^ I think he is FPing it
Phlux- wrote:
looks like this could be the natural solvent to fp from
from what I can understand.

Whatd form of extraction did you do? a/b or stb? Im kind of thinking FASA is out of the questions Razz
Lets go extract something together Smile

house wrote:
19:10:05 ‹house› mama aya gave me lego man eye healers

Smoke Spice, NOW

Gir likes to tell lies, and the truth, but gir cant even tell the difference between them...

http://www.thevenusproject.com/index.phpTHIS IS THE VENUS PROJECT.

narmz
#8 Posted : 5/24/2010 11:18:36 PM

DMT-Nexus member

What were the results of this experiment?
Everything I post is made up fiction. SWIM represents a character who is not based in or on reality.

GordoTEK
#9 Posted : 4/3/2019 6:34:09 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Someone asked me about using terpentine today, I had never heard of it being used for this extract, but this thread is the first thing to come up in a Google search. It looked very promising, but does the lack of follow up suggest failure? There are some people who can't seem to find clean petro solvents in their country, this might be a good alternative if it works.

doubledog
#10 Posted : 4/10/2019 10:05:37 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I have successfully used turpentine to extract spice from mhrb. I think it is a good solvent for that purpose.
Main disadvantage for me is that I do not like the smell of it, so prefer other solvent, in my case toluene.

downwardsfromzero
#11 Posted : 4/12/2019 4:50:21 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

If considering using natural turpentine as a solvent, it's worth being aware that on storage it has a tendency to absorb oxygen from the air to form peroxides. This means old bottles of turpentine can become dangerously explosive! Also, this increases the likelihood of sensitisation reactions ("allergic" reactions).

One common use for turpentine is as a solvent for artists' oil paints. It can be obtained by steam distillation of twigs and needles from suitable pine trees, thus making it accessible to anyone possessed of the requisite determination (although I guess that applies to pretty much everything).

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli