We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
PREV12
Roebic Crystal Drain Opener "100% Lye" Options

benzyme
#21 Posted : 12/29/2009 6:46:06 PM

analytical chemist

Moderator | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertExtreme Chemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertChemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertSenior Member | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expert

KOH is nice, but not necessary nor worth the extra money, unless you're gonna extract piperine or convert saf to iso-saf
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted." ~ hassan i sabbah
"Experiments are the only means of attaining knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." -Max Planck

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

PerPLexED
#22 Posted : 12/29/2009 7:58:14 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Pretzels.
"We are the analogies we believe." - PerPLexED

PerPLexED is a confused fictional creature.
He doesn't know that he is fictional.
He doesn't know what fiction is.
He doesn't know anything, really.
But strives to know it all.

biopsylo
#23 Posted : 12/30/2009 3:16:12 AM

DMT-Nexus member

KOH isnt necessary for transesterification of vegetable oil, either, but it has several favorable characteristics that make it superior to NaOH, and is widely used in the trade. (cost not being one of them)-- it is certainly worth the extra $1.00/lb!

take your pick, but if i was ingesting the final product, i would certainly prefer food-grade reagents whenever it is an option.
cheers

w0mbat
#24 Posted : 12/30/2009 4:10:39 AM

DMT-Nexus member

any idea if KOH is as watched as NaOH by law enforcement agencies?
benzyme wrote:

i'm tellin ya, one day i'll interface a mass spec and uv-vis spectrophotometer to a modular synthesizer

MagikVenom
#25 Posted : 12/30/2009 4:35:31 AM

DMT-Nexus member

w0mbat wrote:
any idea if KOH is as watched as NaOH by law enforcement agencies?

Go to the pet shop or a garden center that sells ponds supplies. Or if you got big balls of steel go to the Hydroponic Grow store and pay cash. FTP!

Peace
MV

biopsylo
#26 Posted : 12/30/2009 3:00:11 PM

DMT-Nexus member

KOH is used extensively in the biodiesel world, which has gained much popularity, and angst, in the past few years. there are many online sites dedicated to selling biodiesel supplies. many "homebrewers" have quite a few chemicals in their garage labs. the food grade stuff u may need to get elsewhere, tho its easy to find.

Sublime
#27 Posted : 1/7/2010 7:02:09 PM

Intraterrestrial

That is the exact one I used, I figured 100% would be perfect for it. I got 100% white crystals with that, although, when freebasing the DMT, it started to bubble and pop, does that mean it was still high in lye concentration and needs to be cleaned better?
"That which I avoid I will become a slave to, that which I confront I will master."

Pandora
#28 Posted : 1/7/2010 7:24:53 PM

Got Naloxone?

Welcoming committeeSenior Member

Hi Folks,

Nemo Amicus and I will be needing to replenish our NaOH supply soon. Can anyone name some USA/West Coast brick-and-mortar (walk-in, pay cash) stores for Roebics? This is our preferred purchasing method. Thanks!

Peace & Love,
Pandora
"But even if nothing lasts and everything is lost, there is still the intrinsic value of the moment. The present moment, ultimately, is more than enough, a gift of grace and unfathomable value, which our friend and lover death paints in stark relief."
-Rick Doblin, Ph.D. MAPS President, MAPS Bulletin Vol. XX, No. 1, pg. 2

Hyperspace LOVES YOU

Pokey
#29 Posted : 1/8/2010 2:49:14 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Tractor Supply.

Ice House
#30 Posted : 1/8/2010 6:37:20 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Moderator | Skills: Sustainable growing

benzyme wrote:
where does one get "food grade" lye?
it would make better sense to use sodium bicarb to adjust the pH of foods, not sodium hydroxide.

Food Grade Lye
Ice House is an alter ego. The threads, postings, replys, statements, stories, and private messages made by Ice House are 100% unadulterated Bull Shit. Every aspect of the Username Ice House is pure fiction. Any likeness to SWIM or any real person is purely coincidental. The creator of Ice House does not condone or participate in any illicit activity what so ever. The makebelieve character known as Ice House is owned and operated by SWIM and should not be used without SWIM's expressed written consent.

CosmicLion
#31 Posted : 3/7/2010 9:02:23 PM

DMT-Nexus member

narmz wrote:
They use lye to make Lutefisk, never tried it, but have heard it's pretty nar.

"It is made from stockfish (air-dried whitefish) or dried/salted whitefish (klippfisk) and lye (lut). Its name literally means 'lye fish'. "

LOL... Lye Fish... dang. Serve me up a plate of THAT!
-Eternally Romping the Astral Savannahlands-

Apoc
#32 Posted : 4/29/2010 6:08:33 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Roebic drain opener also, or now goes by the name of Ro-Tyme Crystal Drain opener. May have metalic impurities. I cannot vouch for its safety bc sodium hydroxide is never safe, it is quite dangerous, and when you mix it with your water it becomes extremely hot, almost boiling! Too hot to touch. I was afraid the glass was going to break. I expected heat, but man that was friggin hot. I will never use lye again.

GirlsHateMe
#33 Posted : 4/29/2010 12:11:45 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Yeah the heat it produced when it mixed with water was surprising...but hardly going to scare swim away from using lye. Last night was swims first time using lye.

swim honestly doesn't see what people bitch and moan about with lye. It gets poured into a container on a scale, and into a jar, then add water...then add it to the soup slowly, no spitting or splashing if you add it slow.

I just don't see what you guys are doing with this lye, that people get so scared. You should be adding it to solutions, not juggling with it guys, geeze.

To the people worried about it, are you THAT careless that you're burning stuff and blinding yourself?
(that being said, swim still put on gloves and goggles while working)
For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places. Wherefore take unto you the whole Armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand. - Ephesians 6:12-13

GHM is an internet handle, a fictional one at that, the person I portray in no way depicts real life actions and or opinions. After all, whats the internet for besides pretending to be someone you arent! Also, no girls do not really hate me.

Seven
#34 Posted : 4/29/2010 1:49:49 PM

DMT-Nexus member

GirlsHateMe wrote:
Yeah the heat it produced when it mixed with water was surprising...but hardly going to scare swim away from using lye. Last night was swims first time using lye.

swim honestly doesn't see what people bitch and moan about with lye. It gets poured into a container on a scale, and into a jar, then add water...then add it to the soup slowly, no spitting or splashing if you add it slow.

I just don't see what you guys are doing with this lye, that people get so scared. You should be adding it to solutions, not juggling with it guys, geeze.

To the people worried about it, are you THAT careless that you're burning stuff and blinding yourself?
(that being said, swim still put on gloves and goggles while working)

Im pretty sure you should add the lye to the water slowly. Not the other way around.
The universe is an infinite harmony of vibrating beings in an elaborate range of expansion-contraction ratios, frequency modulations, and so forth.

GirlsHateMe
#35 Posted : 4/29/2010 1:55:28 PM

DMT-Nexus member

really? ill remember that for next time, thanks!
For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places. Wherefore take unto you the whole Armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand. - Ephesians 6:12-13

GHM is an internet handle, a fictional one at that, the person I portray in no way depicts real life actions and or opinions. After all, whats the internet for besides pretending to be someone you arent! Also, no girls do not really hate me.

The Traveler
#36 Posted : 4/29/2010 2:09:44 PM

"No, seriously"

Administrator | Skills: DMT, LSD, Programming

If you add water to lye you can have an explosive boil because of the rapid heat increase, imagine boiling lye water bubbling out of your container all over the place... So never add water to lye but slowly add the lye to the water.

The problem with lye is that it's very aggresive, if you even get a tiny spat of lye into your eye your eye can get blind from it, becuase of that and the tendency of humans to make small mistakes you have to be very carefull with lye and wear eye protection at all times.

Kind regards,

The Traveler

#37 Posted : 4/29/2010 2:27:34 PM

DMT-Nexus member

My Mantis Overlord recently did an extraction using Pickling Lime and Naphta - with a tip 'o the mandibles to Q21Q21. She say the pickling lime tek is ridiculously easy, clean and non-toxic and produces what appears to be the same yield as an old school A/B tek; would recommend it over the lye, if you can find lime instead.
"at journey's end, we must begin again"

PREV12