We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
12NEXT
Butane lighter vs standard Bic lighter Options

Blundering_Novice
#1 Posted : 4/8/2010 10:51:02 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Butane lighter vs standard Bic lighter

Anyone have specific thoughts on this with regards to melting points and whatnot when smoking FB DMT?

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

gammagore
#2 Posted : 4/8/2010 10:58:24 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Depends, is it being used in a meth style pipe, a bong or a VG?

Blundering_Novice
#3 Posted : 4/8/2010 11:02:54 PM
DMT-Nexus member

gammagore wrote:
Depends, is it being used in a meth style pipe, a bong or a VG?

Likely a bong or glass bowl as commonly used by stoners.

gammagore
#4 Posted : 4/8/2010 11:10:03 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Samadhi-Sukha-Upekkha
#5 Posted : 4/9/2010 12:45:07 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Location: Not separate from the rest of the universe. So, everywhere.
I would imagine that with correct technique, either style of lighter could work fine.

That said, my friend prefers jet-flame lighters for enhanced leaf and bic lighters for the sandwich method when used in a standard water pipe. He reports that the bic makes it easier to quickly light all of the plant material on top of the alkaloid layer for the sandwich method, whereas the jet-flame lighter offers more control so it's easier to avoid lighting enhanced leaf on fire and causing alkaloids to decompose.

Jumper
#6 Posted : 4/9/2010 12:56:54 AM
DMT-Nexus member

The problem with bics is the black soot that comes off the flame. Swim doesn't want to be inhaling that shit. Hold a bic flame to the bottom of a spoon for a few seconds to see what I mean. The companies that make those lighters use the cheapest low grade fuel available. Butane from a can has the same issue to a certain degree, but not as bad as a bic. Swim has had good results with a bic, but now he uses a torch lighter. The bic is more forgiving since it burns slower at a lower temp. With the jet torch, one has to be right on target when vaping fb spice only.
Disclaimer: All words and images posted herein under the username Jumper are strictly for entertainment purposes only, and are fictitious in nature. Swim is the imaginary character of a schizophrenic and all posts connected to said entity are the deluded ramblings of a madman, who admits that all posted data herein was electromagnetically beamed into his brain from a HAARP antenna array.

SunRise
#7 Posted : 4/9/2010 1:07:09 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I solely smoke freebase in a chalet (meth pipe, but can we call it a chale?) I can't get really lifted outdoors unless I use a creme brulee torch, however inside they both sem to work fine. I find the differences are in the rate of vaporiztion, with a bic it takes a while to get going then its just too much, whereas I can control things a little better with careful torchin. thats my narrow opinion!
Spice Tavelin
Space Cowboy

Just know that when you finally realize what type of place the Nexus is, and how many lives it has touched, know that you have helped each one of them and I hope you continue doing so and never lose your way in life-Steely

Blundering_Novice
#8 Posted : 4/9/2010 2:36:34 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Yeah, the primary concern is not destroying the active compounds.

Trickster
#9 Posted : 4/10/2010 10:25:53 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Chemical expert

After many experiments with candles, torches and lighters here is SWIM's ideal heat source.

It is a butane heat gun. It does not produce flame, just very hot air. No more burnt spice or soot.
Trickster attached the following image(s):
Heat%20gun.jpg (18kb) downloaded 846 time(s).
Do not seek the truth, just drop your opinions.

amor_fati
#10 Posted : 4/11/2010 12:52:09 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Chemical expertSenior Member

Generally, if there's something between the flame and the product (ceramic, copper mesh, glass), a torch is the way to go, but with an open bowl, one can carefully apply a bic flame for the best results.

DMTripper
#11 Posted : 4/11/2010 2:35:55 AM

John Murdoch IV

I just got these two last week.
Both very good and I like the torch lighters more. I have better control of the heat.

https://www.vaporstore.c...ighter-honest&cat=89
https://www.vaporstore.c...flame-lighter&cat=89
––––––

DMTripper is a fictional character therefore everything he says here must be fiction.
I mean, who really believes there is such a place as Hyperspace!!

amor_fati
#12 Posted : 4/11/2010 7:18:50 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Trickster wrote:
After many experiments with candles, torches and lighters here is SWIM's ideal heat source.

It is a butane heat gun. It does not produce flame, just very hot air. No more burnt spice or soot.

That worked well for SWIM with bufo and for melting spice into the machine, but it never seemed to work well for actually vaping spice.

ismokecrystals
#13 Posted : 4/14/2010 3:08:43 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I use my butane torch lighter and I prefer it over anything.

DMT is smoked out of a bong in an ash sandwich

The torch is pointed at the bowl and slowly brought in while the Dreamer is inhaling
as soon as the bowl lights up the smallest amount, I remove the flame and Dreamer inhales slightly harder.

This has given 100% perfect blastoffs with 100% consistency.

mumbles
#14 Posted : 4/19/2010 12:53:56 PM

DMT-Nexus member

A jet lighter for FB is perfect because you can direct the heat and melt it gently from a distance. Thats not possible with a bic the flame is either in the cone or not.

ghostman
#15 Posted : 4/19/2010 1:18:21 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I found a great solution. For Christmas I was given a mini Creme Brulee blowtorch. These are usually used in kitchens for food, but I have found a new use for it. They cost about $15.

Peace in mind, Love in heart

jbark
#16 Posted : 4/19/2010 2:33:13 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I read somewhere that spice vaporizes at 50 C. A butane lighter can attain 5000-6000C, a bic lighter 900C and a match about 500. Have I been misinforemed?

The match strikes me as too dangerous (can't imagine having the presence of mind to blow it out and put it down safely), so it seems to me you have the best chance of not burning your spice with a standard bic lighter. That's what I use with a glass meth style pipe. I heat the glass bowl on the exterior sides, moving it around and making sure I don't heat the glass that is in direct contact with the spice. Works well for me.
cheers,
JBArk
JBArk is a Mandelthought; a non-fiction character in a drama of his own design he calls "LIFE" who partakes in consciousness expanding activities and substances; he should in no way be confused with SWIM, who is an eminently data-mineable and prolific character who has somehow convinced himself the target he wears on his forehead is actually a shield.

Samadhi-Sukha-Upekkha
#17 Posted : 4/19/2010 10:20:27 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Well, many jet-flame lighters used for smoking only get to 1300C. And they only have that temperature at the tip of the flame. None of the visible flame should ever get close to DMT, but the temperatures past the visible flame are in a normal range.

And I don't think freebase spice vaporizes at 50C. Various boiling points are mentioned in the literature. One source says 60-80C, but others report boiling points from 160C. Perhaps a practical experiment is in order? Putting about 10mg on the bottom of a container and putting the container in a near-boiling hot water bath and see whether the DMT just melts or if it actually boils. It wouldn't waste a lot of material.

amor_fati
#18 Posted : 4/19/2010 10:55:07 PM

DMT-Nexus member

SWIM recalls a report on the nexus that 100C (boiling water bath) was not enough to vaporize DMT.

Samadhi-Sukha-Upekkha
#19 Posted : 4/19/2010 11:47:12 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Drat. That would have been a convenient method of vaporization and an explanation for where some spice lost in a recrystallization went. Oh well.

I hope this isn't derailing the thread, but my friend and his friend Demetrius came up with the idea to use the "lightbulb method" but instead of using a flame, to immerse the bulb in a pot of oil, then heat the oil on the stove up to the vaporization temperature of DMT. (I don't know how he plans to inhale it. A large straw with one end held up to the open end of the lightbulb? Certainly he isn't going to hold his face over the hot oil and inhale, risking a bead of sweat or a drop of saliva dropping into hot oil and suddenly boiling, splattering him with hot oil and causing 2nd or 3rd degree burns!)

This method shouldn't degrade any DMT, and even if it doesn't turn out to be a very efficient delivery method, the use of a thermometer in the oil should provide an accurate estimate of the boiling point of DMT.

He and Demetrius are supposed to try the vaporization during the summer. I'll tell them to use a thermometer and report the temperature range where vaporization starts, because that could be really useful!

gibran2
#20 Posted : 4/20/2010 12:37:24 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Salvia divinorum expertSenior Member

Samadhi-Sukha-Upekkha wrote:
...I hope this isn't derailing the thread, but my friend and his friend Demetrius came up with the idea to use the "lightbulb method" but instead of using a flame, to immerse the bulb in a pot of oil, then heat the oil on the stove up to the vaporization temperature of DMT.

Hmmm…

Leaning over a pot of boiling oil just while entering hyperspace. What could possibly go wrong?

Rolling eyes
gibran2 is a fictional character. Any resemblance to anyone living or dead is purely coincidental.

12NEXT