We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
PREV12
Making Sodium Carbonate Options

InnerDarkness
#21 Posted : 4/14/2010 3:24:45 PM
DMT-Nexus member

anyone?

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

endlessness
#22 Posted : 4/14/2010 3:43:04 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I dont udnerstand why you putting so much in water.. its very simple: weigh it before, put it in the oven for a few hours and move it around if its too thick once in a while, weigh afterwards, it should be about a third of the weight loss... If you dont do the weight test, then just leave it for a while longer to make sure. I posted a picture in this thread of the difference between the bicarb and the carb to help, but anyways you shouldnt need it.

I dont know about clumping and water and so on, that sounds like a weird way of testing, you'll have to evap all that water to retrieve your sodium carbonate again (waste of energy) or you are just losing your product for testing something which you could check in much more simple matters

if you want to make a sodium carb wash in extraction solvent, you dont want so saturated solutions like what you are doing in your test, you want just a pinch of sodium carbonate in water to make a very dilute solution.

InnerDarkness
#23 Posted : 4/14/2010 6:12:23 PM
DMT-Nexus member

endlessness wrote:
I dont udnerstand why you putting so much in water.. its very simple: weigh it before, put it in the oven for a few hours and move it around if its too thick once in a while, weigh afterwards, it should be about a third of the weight loss... If you dont do the weight test, then just leave it for a while longer to make sure. I posted a picture in this thread of the difference between the bicarb and the carb to help, but anyways you shouldnt need it.

I dont know about clumping and water and so on, that sounds like a weird way of testing, you'll have to evap all that water to retrieve your sodium carbonate again (waste of energy) or you are just losing your product for testing something which you could check in much more simple matters

if you want to make a sodium carb wash in extraction solvent, you dont want so saturated solutions like what you are doing in your test, you want just a pinch of sodium carbonate in water to make a very dilute solution.

Well weighing it before & after would be an easy idea if I would have known about it before I already cooked the baking soda.

So now thats its already cooked I only have the option to test it with water to see if it rocks up.

Are you saying to just add a couple of drops to a tablespoon or something & then it should rock up properly? (because the pic that is linked to earlier in this thread seems to show the SC submerged in water.)

gammagore
#24 Posted : 4/14/2010 6:22:11 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I believe the picture show oversaturated water. I might be wrong.

Might aswell cook up another batch dudeSmile

endlessness
#25 Posted : 4/14/2010 6:24:15 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Im suggesting NOT to do this test. How will you retrieve your sodium carbonate from the water to use later? Or will you keep it in solution? If so remember to dilute more before using because saturated solution is not what you want for washing solvent containing dmt.

What I was saying is, if you leave for another half an hour in the oven on high, spread out in a wide dish, it would make sure its all sodium carbonat (weigh it now and after the oven to see if its still losing weigh after those few mins). Or do this test if you already started dumping so much sodium carbonate in water, and when you gonna use it, just use little of it, diluting in more water. Im correct to assume youre using sodium carbonate for solvent wash yes? or for other reasons too?

and next time weigh from the beginning Smile

InnerDarkness
#26 Posted : 4/14/2010 6:34:40 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Ok so now I took a big tablespoon of my SC & dropped just a few drops of water in it & they did create a little solid formation that I could kinda pick up (and it was warm!)

So I guess I'm good right?

amor_fati
#27 Posted : 4/14/2010 9:05:17 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Chemical expertSenior Member

This is a pretty simple process. SWIM would never bother weighing, though; if the material is still warm, the weight will not be accurate, anyway. SWIM could tell his had converted, because it no longer looked or felt like baking soda, but to confirm, he wanted to see how it behaved in water to confirm on the first time he converted, because the two behave differently.

InnerDarkness
#28 Posted : 4/14/2010 9:30:38 PM
DMT-Nexus member

What do you guys mean weigh it now & before hand?

I cooked it yesterday, its already cooled down, but for some reason it seems to get warm again when I activate it with water? (either that or I'm totally hallucinating)

I'm going to wet some in a table spoon again & take a picture & post it here

I think its good, I just want to make sure.

amor_fati
#29 Posted : 4/14/2010 10:21:42 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I really wouldn't worry about it. What you have is probably sodium carbonate (especially since it heats up when dissolved), and even if it were still baking soda (unlikely), it wouldn't be that huge of a deal. Just learn to trust your gut and use your best judgment on such things.

InnerDarkness
#30 Posted : 4/15/2010 2:09:56 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Hmm ok I did the wash, shook it vigourously for a couple of minutes.

The SC wash didnt look much different after wards I dont think, it may have been a little more cloudy

I guess I wont know until I see final product?

Remember, I wasnt too worried about the lye, more so wanted to clean the naptha so I dont get a yellow product in the end that was also more pure.

There may be a couple of drops of the SC water that migrated over with the washed naptha - is this ok?

amor_fati
#31 Posted : 4/15/2010 2:26:13 AM

DMT-Nexus member

JohnnyScience wrote:
There may be a couple of drops of the SC water that migrated over with the washed naptha - is this ok?

Totally fine, sodium carbonate will not vaporize and is non-toxic, even food-grade when made from food-grade material.

InnerDarkness
#32 Posted : 4/15/2010 1:56:36 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Ok great everything is in the freezer.

This SC wash isnt going to remove all of the yellow of the salt though will it?

Will I also need to do a re-x after the freeze precip to get a very pure, white/clear salt/crystal?

soulfood
#33 Posted : 4/15/2010 2:47:39 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Senior Member | Skills: DMT, Harmaloids, Bufotenine, Mescaline, Trip advice

I find if I do an SC wash, then cool the solvent slowly I can get large clear crystal clusters in one freezing process.

I think if you put the solvent straight into freeze the crystals form too quickly, forming smaller crystals, trapping plants oils and also uncrystalized DMT. Even pure DMT looks yellow if it gets trapped inside itself.

The trick is to let it gradually cool over as long a period as possible rather than putting it straight to the freezer. Window -> Outside -> Fridge -> Freezer.

amor_fati
#34 Posted : 4/15/2010 3:08:19 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Also, SWIM would like to add that though there's no health risk with a few drops of sodium carbonate solution being pulled into the naphtha, it may gum up your freeze-precip a bit, so try and pipette it out if that's the case.

soulfood wrote:
Even pure DMT looks yellow if it gets trapped inside itself.

Apparently this isn't true in the case of absolutely pure DMT, but that takes a hell of a lot of careful rextal and isn't really pertinent in most cases.

InnerDarkness
#35 Posted : 4/16/2010 10:04:42 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Well things are airing out after a good freezer precip, but I can still see there going to be yellow DMT once its totally dried.

So I will probably need to do another re-x with new, clean naptha & heating it up in warm water & then pulling the naptha again?

InnerDarkness
#36 Posted : 4/19/2010 6:24:56 PM
DMT-Nexus member

anyone on the re-x?

gammagore
#37 Posted : 4/19/2010 6:31:28 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Warm water?? SC wash i presume.

Do another re-x if you want too, but there is nothing wrong with some yellow spiceSmile

InnerDarkness
#38 Posted : 4/19/2010 6:40:11 PM
DMT-Nexus member

yeah the re-x that I've read was put DMT in shotglass, put shot glass in warm water and add new naptha to shot glass, let dissolve & pull naptha again & the yellow should all be left behind in the shot glass?

What kind of re-x do you guys suggest?

gammagore
#39 Posted : 4/19/2010 6:45:03 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Ahhh, ok, if you have already done the SC wash, and you still want to try and clean it up more, go ahead as ^. Warming up the naptha beforehand might help speed up the process.

Post some pics when your doneSmile

PREV12