We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
70% denatured ethanol? Options

greymatter
#1 Posted : 4/15/2010 3:41:29 PM

DMT-Nexus member

is this a high enough percentage to to do a cake extraction...is the denatured a bad thing?

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

Entropymancer
#2 Posted : 4/15/2010 4:08:01 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Salvia divinorum expert | Skills: Information Location, Salvia divinorumExtraordinary knowledge | Skills: Information Location, Salvia divinorumModerator | Skills: Information Location, Salvia divinorumChemical expert | Skills: Information Location, Salvia divinorumSenior Member | Skills: Information Location, Salvia divinorum

I'm not familiar with "cake extraction" off the top of my head so I can't comment on that.

Whether the denatured alcohol is usable or not depends on the denaturant. Methanol? Fine (as long as it's evaporated and you don't consume it at the end of the extraction). Denatonium? No good. Maybe you could link us to an MSDS (material safety data sheet) for the product in question?

greymatter
#3 Posted : 4/15/2010 6:09:14 PM

DMT-Nexus member

unfortunatly, i dont live in the us and this is available to me in pharmacys where there is no msds...is there anyway to tell the differece without the sheet...here they use it like ipa for cuts and scrapes(strange huh?) if you've never tried the cake method...of all the extractions i've tried(many)...it was the easyest

spaghettiman
#4 Posted : 4/15/2010 6:15:39 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Denatonium will come over in an a/b so i would avoid it. can you not get acetone? acetone is nice and volatile and dissolves lots of things.

taste a tiny bit, you should be able to taste the denatonium, its super bitter. If its denatured with methanol then it should taste kinda sweet and volatile, more so than straight ethanol.

greymatter
#5 Posted : 4/15/2010 6:25:57 PM

DMT-Nexus member

as that i evaporate all alchol before starting the extraction...would the denatorium evaporate(probally not)...and 5ml of methanol is fatal...sure i should taste it?