We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Substitute for Naphtha? Options

SPAWNmaster
#1 Posted : 3/8/2010 4:45:54 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Hey Folks,

SWIM just completed his first extraction. It was great until the Naphtha became involved. The fumes were absolutely horrible and quickly filled SWIM's apartment. Only two pulls were done (and in a hurry) and SWIM was feeling extremely queasy from the fumes.

Is there a decent subsitute that could be used in lieu of Naphtha. Preferably without intoxicating fumes?

Thanks!

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

mumbles
#2 Posted : 3/8/2010 7:34:56 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Alternative solvents (like toluene/xylene) will smell even worse so either do it outside or get some good ventilation.

futura
#3 Posted : 3/8/2010 8:22:57 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Use Bestine(Heptane)Rubber Cement Thinner...Its also Best for recrystallization...

killuminati420
#4 Posted : 3/15/2010 10:08:36 PM

DMT-Nexus member

SPAWNmaster wrote:
Hey Folks,

SWIM just completed his first extraction. It was great until the Naphtha became involved. The fumes were absolutely horrible and quickly filled SWIM's apartment. Only two pulls were done (and in a hurry) and SWIM was feeling extremely queasy from the fumes.

Is there a decent subsitute that could be used in lieu of Naphtha. Preferably without intoxicating fumes?

Thanks!

Yea it sucks because when i evaporated a little bit of my klean-strip vm&p naphtha in a bowl to test for nasty additives, it left an oily type substance behind that im pissed off about because ive been using that same naphtha for all my extractions Sad

Im gonna look for a pure hexane for honey oil and extractions
"Money Can't Buy Life" -Bob Marley

narmz
#5 Posted : 3/15/2010 10:18:08 PM

DMT-Nexus member

mumbles wrote:
Alternative solvents (like toluene/xylene) will smell even worse so either do it outside or get some good ventilation.

SWIM disagrees with this, not just because they don't smell nearly as bad as naptha, but because the nature of using these solvents is that you salt the alkaloids out of them, there is very little evaporation going on. SWIM would choose toluene over xylene.
Everything I post is made up fiction. SWIM represents a character who is not based in or on reality.

SnozzleBerry
#6 Posted : 3/15/2010 11:33:50 PM

omnia sunt communia!

Moderator | Skills: Growing (plants/mushrooms), Research, Extraction troubleshooting, Harmalas, Revolution (theory/practice)

narmz wrote:
mumbles wrote:

SWIM disagrees with this, not just because they don't smell nearly as bad as naptha...SWIM would choose toluene over xylene.

Never used toluene so I can't comment. Xylene is faaaar worse, XYLENE IS FOUL, IT IS THE PISS OF THE DEVIL, if you disagree with with that statement I'm just going to assume you have never used xylene and deal with the confines that preconception creates. There is no way you could actually think naptha smells less toxic.

peace
SB
WikiAttitudeFAQ
The NexianNexus ResearchThe OHT
In New York, we wrote the legal number on our arms in marker...To call a lawyer if we were arrested.
In Istanbul, People wrote their blood types on their arms. I hear in Egypt, They just write Their names.
גם זה יעבור

Infundibulum
#7 Posted : 3/15/2010 11:43:28 PM

Kalt und Heiß, Schwarz und Rot, Kürper und Geist, Liebe und Chaos

ModeratorChemical expert

At this point I need to confess that I totally totally adore the smell of xylene!

Need to calculate between salts and freebases? Click here!
Need to calculate freebase or salt percentage at a given pH? Click here!

soulfood
#8 Posted : 3/15/2010 11:49:10 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Senior Member | Skills: DMT, Harmaloids, Bufotenine, Mescaline, Trip advice

Infundibulum wrote:
At this point I need to confess that I totally totally adore the smell of xylene!

I'd imagine you have a much more suitable area to work with it than most though, right?

SnozzleBerry
#9 Posted : 3/16/2010 2:36:47 AM

omnia sunt communia!

Moderator | Skills: Growing (plants/mushrooms), Research, Extraction troubleshooting, Harmalas, Revolution (theory/practice)

Infundibulum wrote:

BWHAAAAAAAAAAAA?
Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
WikiAttitudeFAQ
The NexianNexus ResearchThe OHT
In New York, we wrote the legal number on our arms in marker...To call a lawyer if we were arrested.
In Istanbul, People wrote their blood types on their arms. I hear in Egypt, They just write Their names.
גם זה יעבור

Pokey
#10 Posted : 3/16/2010 2:50:12 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Toluene is also very stinky, much more than naptha in my experience. What kind of naptha were you using?

Since naptha is usually freeze precipitated, I think its the easiest to deal with fume wise. Bestine doesn't smell as much, but it's alot less common and much more expensive.

Pokey

narmz
#11 Posted : 3/16/2010 4:46:41 AM

DMT-Nexus member

SWIM has experience with all 3 solvents (all in well ventilated areas), xylene is not nearly as bad as naptha in SWIM's opinion, toluene is better than xylene and naptha. Naptha spreads, quick, and will give you a horrible headache, and even weakened SWIM's immune system, causing him to get very sick for weeks following its usage. Limonene is by far the best, limonene will make you fall in love with the process rather than dreading it because of the sweet sweet smell of oranges. The only issue with limonene is the purity of the fumarates salted from it, which has now been addressed with boiling IPA, so there is really not much of a reason not to use it unless you are unable to obtain it.
Everything I post is made up fiction. SWIM represents a character who is not based in or on reality.

GirlsHateMe
#12 Posted : 4/1/2010 10:05:51 PM

DMT-Nexus member

i enjoy the smell of dcm, smells like progress...
For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places. Wherefore take unto you the whole Armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand. - Ephesians 6:12-13

GHM is an internet handle, a fictional one at that, the person I portray in no way depicts real life actions and or opinions. After all, whats the internet for besides pretending to be someone you arent! Also, no girls do not really hate me.