We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
people flood themselves, get high, psych. neurotransmitters Options

brainsand
#1 Posted : 6/7/2008 11:19:03 PM
DMT-Nexus member

i have a theory

5 meo dmt is produced in the brain, not the pineal, precursors are produced in the pineal

momentarily, split seconds, the cashier at the super market, standing, says something, then bang, flooded, high as a kite, split second

the brain floods for moments , sometimes longer in meditation, but common people flood themselves with psychedelic neurotransmitters, get high for a split second, maybe 3 seconds and then return to baseline

this is a tequnique of keeping life interesting,

dmt too, but mainly 5 meo

also anandamide or endocannibinoid

people get high daily, are accustomed,

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

lucious
#2 Posted : 6/8/2008 12:02:09 AM

DMT-Nexus member

but if that was the case why are we all so inadaquately prepaired for that first taist of spice?

benzyme
#3 Posted : 6/8/2008 12:57:01 AM

analytical chemist

Moderator | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertExtreme Chemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertChemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertSenior Member | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expert

brainsand wrote:
i have a theory

5 meo dmt is produced in the brain, not the pineal, precursors are produced in the pineal

in order for that to happen,an enzyme for deacetylation and an enzyme for methylation would need to be expressed in the brain. which ones, and where are they? EC #s?
afaik, there is no such thing as 5-MeOINMT
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted." ~ hassan i sabbah
"Experiments are the only means of attaining knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." -Max Planck

imachavel
#4 Posted : 6/8/2008 1:53:10 AM
DMT-Nexus member

that's weird, I was banned for 2 days, and without a notification of why??Confused Confused

anyway, I don't believe it would be effected in meditation, maybe in momentary situations, but not meditation.

people have this theory when you go into deep meditation your brain releases massive amounts of seratonin or dmt or whatnot. But if this is the case this should all be regulated.

I don't think you'll find a chemical reaction in the body with just one reaction next to it, I'm pretty sure when your body releases a certain amount of things like adrenalin or dopamine or whatnot there's hundreds of other chemicals released at the same time.

otherwise, wouldn't you get high off your own shit? but that doesn't happen, your body regulates everything to the last digit no matter what situation. Your mind may freak out, in fact, your body may freak out as well! but never your chemical reactions, they don't freak out unless displaced by chemicals or damage.

no situation in life will ever make you trip! or get stoned! or feel like your on speed, or whatever.

I guess your body is it's own well of self poison, your body is a rotating machine of receptors that could be overloaded at any minute, you have receptors allowing you to trip beyond the point of understanding in your mind, have a heart attack while being wired like a computer, get so messed up you can't walk. But never off your own shit.

so in meditation, would one really experience so much extra chemicals? if so, it's nothing you could achieve with an outside drug, because the 2 experiences are not the same. and personally, I'd be surpised if despite the amount of chemicals they say contribute to well being and non well being, if there's not really many additional chemicals in the feeling of well being.

I know when you're UNHAPPY they say you have a lack of seratonin, yet I still disagree with this.

when you're happy, I believe it's emotional, based on chemical receptors as well. But to me the chemical receptors have a self maximum, they can be drained, from lack of proper impulses such as being depressed, and then you have a chemical imbalance. But to me that doesn't mean if you're happier you have an exess. I think that you have natural chemical changes in your brain, like gas in a car, that relays these things. If there's not enough gas in a car, obviously the engine won't work, but if there's too much gas in a car, the engine might function slightly better, but mostly it'll be the same.

I think that most of it is emotional, if you have the chemicals working, then emotionally you're alright, if you don't, then you have less of what you need to stimulate these chemicals, but to me that's it.

in meditation, I wouldn't see there being any increase in these things, just less junk in your mind, and better emotional transmissions.

hey, I'm no psychotherapist, but I know what I think.

benzyme
#5 Posted : 6/8/2008 2:06:43 AM

analytical chemist

Moderator | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertExtreme Chemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertChemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertSenior Member | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expert

I don't know why people get this misguided notion that DMT gets "released". it doesn't. it's not a hormone
DMT/5-MeO-DMT are present in nanomolar concentrations, tops, no flooding going on whatsoever.
"Experiments are the only means of attaining knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." -Max Planck

Entropymancer
#6 Posted : 6/8/2008 3:46:23 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Salvia divinorum expert | Skills: Information Location, Salvia divinorumExtraordinary knowledge | Skills: Information Location, Salvia divinorumModerator | Skills: Information Location, Salvia divinorumChemical expert | Skills: Information Location, Salvia divinorumSenior Member | Skills: Information Location, Salvia divinorum

Do we really know it's not a hormone? There are several hormones that derive from amino acids (epinephrine, norepinephrine, dopamine, serotonin, melatonin, histamine); and we know at the very least DMT can act as a ligand for the 5HT receptors. Do you know of any papers exploring the regulation of the N-methyltransferase (or other precursor steps in the pathway)?

Lately I've been wondering if DMT doesn't just play some minor role modulating the integration of some signalling pathways (probably ones which deal with perception/cognition, nothing modulating a physical response).

But yes, I agree that the body flooding itself with DMT isn't a plausible scenario. The various enzymes capable of converting DMT into other metabolites are all effective enough to digest a full exogenous dose of DMT in a matter of minutes; I doubt normal cellular conditions would allow for a buildup in any way that produces the accustomed response from an exogenous dose.

benzyme
#7 Posted : 6/8/2008 5:26:17 PM

analytical chemist

I can see DMT as a metaphoric hormone, in that it acts as a ligand on g-coupled receptors eliciting a cascade of other neurotransmitters; when I think of hormones, I think of non-polar sterol based molecules which diffuse readily across membranes.

Entropymancer
#8 Posted : 6/8/2008 6:28:25 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Salvia divinorum expert | Skills: Information Location, Salvia divinorumExtraordinary knowledge | Skills: Information Location, Salvia divinorumModerator | Skills: Information Location, Salvia divinorumChemical expert | Skills: Information Location, Salvia divinorumSenior Member | Skills: Information Location, Salvia divinorum

I get ya. My textbook distinguishes two types of hormones; the ones like you mention (with intracellular receptors) are classified as lipophilic hormones, while soluble ligands with surface-receptors (like the aforementioned amino acid derivatives with their G-coupled receptors) are hydrophilic hormones. They both seem to work in essentially the same fashion (signal transduction/amplification often involving kinases, release of 2nd messenger(s) which act on a final effectors, etc.)

benzyme
#9 Posted : 6/8/2008 7:05:11 PM

analytical chemist

ahh, then I suppose it is a hormone of sorts; it acts as both a hormone and a sort of neurotransmitter, at the TA sites, as has been noted in the Presti et. al study. I still think that it's produced in the peripheral tissues, and then passes through the BBB on its way to do signal transduction.