We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Soxhlet efficiency: 1 giant Soxhlet or 3 small ones? Options

69ron
#1 Posted : 7/1/2009 7:34:21 PM

DMT-Nexus member

So SWIM has a few different Soxhlet extractors and was thinking about buying a larger one for extracting chacruna and yopo.

My questions are:

What’s more efficient?

What will extract faster?

A: One giant 3 liter Soxhlet, one 3 liter flat bottom boiling flask, and one hotplate

B: Three 1 liter Soxhlets, three 1 liter flat bottom boiling flasks, and three hotplates

(Let’s assume that the hotplate can heat either size equally, so it’s not really part of the equation)
You may remember me as 69Ron. I was suspended years ago for selling bunk products under false pretenses. I try to sneak back from time to time under different names, but unfortunately, the moderators of the DMT-Nexus are infinitely smarter than I am.

If you see me at the waterpark, please say hello. I'll be the delusional 50 something in the American flag Speedo, oiling up his monster guns while responding to imaginary requests for selfies from invisible teenage girls.

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

voidwalker
#2 Posted : 9/21/2009 2:52:56 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Would guess that a 1 liter soxhlet would flush faster than a 3 liter one, at the same hotplate temperature, given the fact that less solvent is required to evaporate before a reflux. But that's probably somewhat compensated by the time lost to prepare 3 soxhlets instead of one, to link them to the cool water source etc. So swim would go for the 3 liter one, because he does not like soxhlet setting up hassle. Swim could not find soxhlets larger than 2L where he lives.

by the way, can you point me out in the righ dirrection , for using a soxhlet to extract mimosa ? I cannot find a complete tek about this.

psychosisdoses
#3 Posted : 9/22/2009 4:44:40 PM

Derek

voidwalker wrote:

by the way, can you point me out in the righ dirrection , for using a soxhlet to extract mimosa ? I cannot find a complete tek about this.

use soxhlet for the acid soak
basify
pull
wash
dry
freeze
"once youve locked yourself into a serious drug collection the tendency is to push it as far as you can..." - hunter s. thompson

~~~~~~~~...You are me and i am you, i will always be with you...~~~~~~~~IAmUsWeYouMe~~~~~~~~
‹maxzar100› YOU are like acid
‹mattimus› dosesdosingdoses

voidwalker
#4 Posted : 9/23/2009 7:42:45 PM
DMT-Nexus member

can you please expand a little on that psychosisdoses ?
considering i use IPA for the soxhlet runs, what are the next steps, after i get a thick goo after recycling the IPA ? as in choice of substances/solvents. Or should I run the soxhlet with acidic water?

voidwalker
#5 Posted : 3/18/2010 1:11:43 PM
DMT-Nexus member

can anyone please elaborate a bit on how i would do an optimal mimosa extraction using a soxhlet ? can't find such info anywhere.

Crucial
#6 Posted : 3/21/2010 7:48:31 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Agreed, that setting up three complete soxhlet apparatus's would be a hassle and take up a lot of room.

I'm not sure if it's more efficient or not, but when I'm wanting to do more biomaterial than will fit in one apparatus, I run two and even three apparatus's on one three neck flask. Mind you I'm not running three 3L apparatuses on a 10L flask... but for me 1L&2L flasks are plenty for even three apparatus's.

You only need to monitor one heat source, and then the only real hassle is routing the water for the condensers.

Trickster
#7 Posted : 3/21/2010 11:54:40 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Chemical expert

Crucial wrote:
Agreed, that setting up three complete soxhlet apparatus's would be a hassle and take up a lot of room.

I'm not sure if it's more efficient or not, but when I'm wanting to do more biomaterial than will fit in one apparatus, I run two and even three apparatus's on one three neck flask. Mind you I'm not running three 3L apparatuses on a 10L flask... but for me 1L&2L flasks are plenty for even three apparatus's.

You only need to monitor one heat source, and then the only real hassle is routing the water for the condensers.

If by efficiency you mean the number of calories divided by milligrams of spice then a 3 neck flask is better.
Do not seek the truth, just drop your opinions.