We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
LSD with MAOI Options

samatha
#1 Posted : 11/18/2023 9:06:43 PM
DMT-Nexus member

I wonder if anyone has any insight in combining LSD with MAOI.
Primarily if anyone has any experience in combining it with something like St. Johns Wart.

I read somewhere long ago how SWIM combined 100ug with some sort of MAOI essentially turning LSD into MDMA like experience.

It would be fantastic if a low dose macrodose could be combined with another substance to replace classic MDMA experience at a rave.

In the past, I've had fantastic results with different between 15-25ug at shows but its always a mixed bag of results. Too many variables in order to pinpoint how to replicate that experience.

As far as I understand seratonin syndrome is not really a concern when combining LSD or magic mushrooms with MAOIs but I understand not all MAOIs are the same hence St Johns Wart.

" Let it come, let it be, let it go. "

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

Nydex
#2 Posted : 11/19/2023 9:47:36 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I personally haven't tried this combination, but to me LSD is sacred in a way that makes it impossible to really enjoy it at an event like a rave. I've tried it before in several different dosages, and it just doesn't work for me. Makes me too sensitive to energy, and there's a lot of that at a rave.

In any case, you might want to take a look at the Nexus Wiki, particularly the Known substance interactions and their effects portion of it. There's a section on combining LSD and Harmala. Hopefully that gives you some insight on what to expect.

Just a kind reminder to carefully test your LSD and make sure you're not unknowingly taking something else and combining it with a MAOI. Thumbs up
TRUST

LET GO

BE OPEN

dragonrider
#3 Posted : 11/21/2023 1:57:50 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I think it might also depend on whether you have a substance that (mostly) inhibits MAO-A or MAO-B, or the ratio between MAO A and B inhibition.

I have mixed experiences with LSD and MAOI's myself.

Thing is, most MAOI's have a lot of other pharmacological effects as well, so it's hard to tell what exactly is going on.

-From passionflower extract, i almost felt no effects, except maybe that the whole experience became a bit dreamier. But that might have been autosuggestion. The effects where not significant enough to draw any conclusion.

-From a moderate dose of rue, i had quite strong effects, but it made the whole experience less visual and more speedy.

-From carnosine, i experienced a noticable potentiation without any significant alteration.

Any potentiation should not come from inhibition of the metabolism of LSD. Increased levels of certain neurotransmitters could enhance or dull the effects of LSD though, as well as other effects some of these substances have.

Subtlevibrations
#4 Posted : 1/30/2024 2:48:31 AM

Dinglehopper

If you want an MDMA like experience, I would suggest taking MDMA <3

MAOIs and SSRIs tend to interfere with LSD and make the experience less intense, meaningful, or immersive. I don't know if it could lead to serotonin syndrome, but I do know LSD effects serotonin regulation in the brain. I would personally advise against the combination if a friend asked me.

safe travels <3
”She, the adorable one, seated in the Heart, is the power that gives breath. Unto Her all the senses do homage.”

downwardsfromzero
#5 Posted : 1/30/2024 6:23:14 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

Low-dose mescaline would be another option worth exploring, perhaps.

The best time to start your cactus collection is already Wink

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

the red squirrel
#6 Posted : 1/30/2024 7:26:24 PM

DMT-Nexus member

samatha wrote:
I wonder if anyone has any insight in combining LSD with MAOI.
Primarily if anyone has any experience in combining it with something like St. Johns Wart.

Combining LSD with an MAOI is one interesting way to go, but the case of St. John wort (Hypericum perforatum) may be something special:

This is what I found for the plant page in the Garden of Eden (Voogelbreinder,2009):

Snu wrote:
H. perforatum herb has shown some very weak MAO- and COMT- inhibiting properties, as well as weakly inhibiting serotonin and norepinephrine re-uptake, but the full mechanism of action is yet to be shown, and is clearly a synergistic one between the various compounds present. It has been suggested that the MAOI effect would be due to an unidentified xanthone component (Bruneton 1995; Perovic & Muller 1995; Raffa 1998; Suzuki et al. 1984). The herb also induces cytochrome P450 3A4 and 3A5 activity, and has been shown to potently inhibit cytochrome P450 isoenzymes other than the types mentioned above, with extended use (Coxeter et al. 2003; Fugh- Berman 2000; http://www.dml.georgetown.edu/depts/pharmacology/ clinlist.html). This herb usually must be taken daily for several weeks to become fully effective (Katzenstein 1998; pers. comm.), and should not be combined with MAOIs or serotonin re-uptake inhibitors, as symptoms of serotonin syndrome may result (Fugh-Berman 2000). Antidepressants which have shown interactions with St. John’s wort include sertraline, nefazodone, fluoxetine, paroxetine and amitriptyline. Some studies suggest that St. John’s wort may interfere with the activities of some antiarrhythmic- mic [digoxin], antiretroviral [indinavir], immunosuppressant [cyclosporin, tacrolimus], oral contraceptive and anticoagulant drugs. However, more evidence is needed to determine the extent of these interactions in humans (Coxeter et al. 2003).

So, I have to do some research for it to be completely sure but as stated above H. perforatum could interact with LSD via the MAOI effect & potentially also via cytochrome P450 modification. I'm not sure how this would alter the effects of LSD?
May there be peace and love and perfection throughout all creation
~ John Coltrane

brokedownpalace10
#7 Posted : 1/31/2024 1:15:27 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Low dose LSD plus THH?