We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
PREV123
The Acacia Grow Thread Options

acacian
#41 Posted : 1/15/2024 9:10:54 PM

DMT-Nexus member

TheAwakening wrote:
A few of the viable acuminata seeds have started to throw out their root. I'll give it a few more days before potting then up.

Awesome! Assuming narrow phyllode? Got some germing on my end as well.. maybe it will be a synchronized grow Pleased

Looking forward to seeing your progress the red squirrel

I would really love to see people's experiences growing Acacia simplex.. not a lot of info out there on cultivating it and a lot of misidentified seed has been getting around. I recall a few nexians dipping their toes into this one?

Here's another variety of floribunda and the enormous mother tree the seed came from.. it is the biggest floribunda I've seen. The trunk is over a meter in circumference and travels along the ground now. You could be mistaken thinking it is a patch of trees but they are actually all just huge trunk sized branches. Currently I just call it "small seed" as the seeds are much smaller than the other types I have.. the seedlings seem to start smaller and more delicate too but starting to take off and have a really nice display of juvenile leaves.

I think they are quintessential looking Acacia Smile
acacian attached the following image(s):
image_6483441 (6).JPG (188kb) downloaded 64 time(s).
active flori.jpg (78kb) downloaded 63 time(s).

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

TheAwakening
#42 Posted : 1/25/2024 6:44:56 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I ended up potting up the few acuminata seeds that show signs of life. One of them had sprouted way before the others and I took a picture of it which is below. Mix is about 3 parts coarse sand 1 part coco coir with a sprinkle of acacia soil mixed in.
TheAwakening attached the following image(s):
20240124_215338.jpg (325kb) downloaded 54 time(s).

acacian
#43 Posted : 1/25/2024 9:39:58 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Hey thanks for the update TheAwakening... hope the lil fella grows tall and strong! I am starting to bond with acuminata more now that I am growing it.. I have always really enjoyed it in the wild but wasn't perhaps as drawn to it as other species.. this is starting to change. It really is a delightful plant! A subtle kind of grace..

I think the 70:30 coarse sand to peat/coir thing is fantastic.. far superior to any potting mix available that I have tried. Will be interested in how coarse sand in New Zealand works.. a little different to in Oz I imagine. It certainly looks much darker.. but so long as it is free draining and combined with the moisture absorbent qualities of the peat/coir I think should be pretty good.. do you have any info about the kind of environment it came from?

I am really enjoying the process of growing a tryptamine acacia garden.. spending time around these plants everyday is both exciting and soothing.. and incredibly grounding. Every plant contributes such a unique presence to the space.. feeling really blessed having them here

acacian
#44 Posted : 1/25/2024 7:22:49 PM

DMT-Nexus member

A little eye candy to enjoy..

First pic is a comparison between two Acacia caroleae.. the one on the right is 15 months of age - it was started in commercial seed raising mix and then planted in commercial potting mix. It was later transferred to my current medium after being stunted for several months. It is now growing healthily but only really just started taking off since spring.

Compare to the plant on the right that is 3 months of age.. it is quickly catching up and will soon surpass it's much older counterpart. It was sown directly into the current sand/peat/perlite mix.. suggesting that starting seedling in the right medium as early as possible makes a huge difference in growth rate.. I think developing a healthy tap root early on is probably pivotal in the plant's future growth.

Oh.. and I had to share our cute little friend making a home of the obtuse and phleb!
acacian attached the following image(s):
image_67205377.png (14,964kb) downloaded 27 time(s).
image_50446849.JPG (3,057kb) downloaded 27 time(s).
35120.jpg (936kb) downloaded 27 time(s).
image_50456577.JPG (1,721kb) downloaded 27 time(s).
image_6483441 (7).png (2,389kb) downloaded 27 time(s).

PREV123