We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Carbidopa/Levodopa DMT safety Options

Fourcrows
#1 Posted : 1/9/2024 6:17:19 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Hi all,maybe this topic has been addressed, but I did search and couldn't find a definitive answer here.

I have Parkinson's Disease and take carbidopa/levodopa. Is DMT safe with this medication?"
Fourcrows

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

shroombee
#2 Posted : 1/9/2024 7:31:33 PM

DMT-Nexus member

A timely topic, as I've been thinking of introducing DMT to my father with Parkinson's.

Google DMT and Parkinson's. There is some ongoing researching looking into how DMT may help. Also review how Ayahuasca is used in some cultures to treat Parkinson's.

On a related topic, my father has been microdosing mushrooms the past three years. They reduce freezing and pain for about 8 hours. Unfortunately, redosing the same day is ineffective. So, I'm looking into microdosing DMT to see whether it would offer the same symptom relief but allow for redosing.

I read somewhere that psilocybin potentially reduces the tolerance to carbidopa/levodopa (CL) and/or helps the CL to be more effective so you can lower your dose. The issue with long-term use of CL is it becomes ineffective even at high dosages. In three years by father has minimally increased his CL dosage (currently one-and-a-half 25/100 pills, 3x per day), so possibly the psilocybin is helping to keep tolerance down. Side note: the half pill of CL is replaced with the equivalent l-dopa from dopa mucuna.

ShamensStamen
#3 Posted : 1/9/2024 9:54:56 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Fourcrows wrote:
Hi all,maybe this topic has been addressed, but I did search and couldn't find a definitive answer here.

I have Parkinson's Disease and take carbidopa/levodopa. Is DMT safe with this medication?"

Ime it is, i took L-Dopa for like 6 years, took Psilocin, Psilohuasca, DMT/Ayahuasca on top of it, didn't go so well with LSD though but i also had Coffee in my system at the time as well. If combining with MAO-A inhibition i'd recommend taking the L-Dopa at least 2 hours beforehand, worked out well for me. Haven't taken Carbidopa though so i can't say if that affects anything or not.

Also i'm not a doctor but in my research L-Dopa can deplete Tryptophan and Tyrosine in the body so make sure you're getting enough Tryptophan and Tyrosine. Also vitamin B6 (P5P, don't use Pyridoxine) is needed by DOPA Decarboxylase to convert L-Dopa into Dopamine and 5-HTP into Serotonin, and apparently Carbidopa can reduce B6 concentrations in the body, so you'll want to make sure you're getting enough B6 (and other B vitamins) as well, also because L-Dopa increases Homocysteine and B vitamins are needed to reduce Homocysteine. You may also want to look into a COMT inhibitor, apparently, because from what i've looked into COMT can metabolize L-Dopa/Dopamine into a neurotoxic metabolite and inhibiting COMT may help with that. I regularly consume Harmalas, and iirc Harmaline inhibits COMT.