We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Hello and help Options

stonedagin
#1 Posted : 10/7/2023 10:41:51 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Hello to you all.
I've browsed this site for some time now but have recently had my first dmt experience and I am hooked! Got some stuff together and am attempting my first extraction from MHRB but I have run into an issue.
I soaked 100g powder in 150ml of white vinegar for a few days and then added a salt solution made with sea salt. Then I dissolved 80g of lye in 250ml water but when I added the lye the solution developed lots of precipitate.
No idea what to do now. Is this rescuable? Any help appreciated.

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

fractals4life
#2 Posted : 10/7/2023 5:08:43 PM

DMT-Nexus member

What do you mean "lots" ? If it was white precipitate then it could well be just DMT, proceed as normal and see what you can pull with your non polar solvent. I'm sure you'll be fine, the only thing you deviated from standard practice with is using sea salt, which isn't the purest of ingredients, I go for dishwasher salt myself.

Good luck!

downwardsfromzero
#3 Posted : 10/7/2023 5:15:26 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

What colour is the precipitate? What do its physical properties seem to be like? If you add concentrated lye to a concentrated salt solution, salt will precipitate because of the common ion effect. It's also highly likely that you may just be observing a precipitate of DMT freebase. Without pictures or a more detailed description this is all just guesswork though. Test a small sample of the precipitate. If it's white (soup contamination notwithstanding), crystalline, and dissolves easily in water it's most probably salt. You can add a little more water to remedy this.

However, you'll likely be just fine to add your non-polar solvent and carry on with the extraction. Best go gentle on the mixing since particulates can contribute to the formation of emulsions. It's good for a first-timer to follow the steps of an established extraction method to the letter, but better still is understanding why each and every step is being done.

Welcome to the Nexus

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

stonedagin
#4 Posted : 10/7/2023 5:43:22 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Thanks for the replies.
It seemed to be an off-white/cream colour when it formed, but now it is very hard to tell due to the darkness of the solution.
I have around 900ml solution total and the precipitate, which now seems like a brown/grey sludge, is sitting in about the bottom 500ml.
I have tried taking some of the solution containing it out, and it definitely is not white and crystalline.
I'm going to take a few hundred mls of the solution and try an extraction on that and see how I go.
I'll take some pictures too.
Thanks for the help, and yes, I will follow the tec to the letter next time.

downwardsfromzero
#5 Posted : 10/7/2023 8:10:55 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

Oh yes, and as fractals4life mentions, sea salt may contain other metal ions (principally magnesium) that will form insoluble hydroxide when mixed with lye. Not a problem but just emphasises the need for care wrt emulsions. Cream powder sounds very much like a description of precipitated DMT.

You'd likely need a microscope in order to see any crystalline structure in whatever the precipitate is.

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli