We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Petroleum Ehter Question Options

the_Architect
#1 Posted : 8/15/2023 9:00:55 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Hi, it´s been a while since I posted here, I apologize if this is the wrong forum group.
I wasn´t able to make new post in FAQ or extraction, etc.

The question:
Recently I moved to a new house, manage to have more space for my equipment. I was able to get some petroleum ehter lab grade ( is 40-60 EPR).
I am not a chemist... Im know 40-60 is the evaporation temperature.

I´d been using a hot plate stirrer, with an actual separate stirrer. I got good results with zippo lighter fluid at 50-60 Cº. I put a hard aluminum tray with holes for the stirrer and manage to avoid too much evaporation... I loose some anyway. I use a 5L beaker, flat bottom.
I use Cyb´s Hybryd ATB salt tek.

I was wondering, how much can I warm up the mix with the petroleum ether ?
40ªC?
50ªC?
60ªC?

Is it more dangerous than zippo lighter fluid?
will it evaporate much easily?
Any precautions I should take?

Thank you very much for your answers.

*Some photos of my new setup... I feel much safer than with my old system... a 5L glass bottle I would shake manually... now I just put it "on" and get the hell out of the basement for a couple of minutes
the_Architect attached the following image(s):
IMG20230725235533.jpg (438kb) downloaded 64 time(s).
"...after five seconds I was no longer a marxist, no longer a materialist, no longer a rationalist.
It killed those things, it cauterized them..."

Terrence McKenna

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

Brennendes Wasser
#2 Posted : 8/15/2023 9:07:58 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Chemical expert

In general there is no rule to not heat it upwards to 60 °C if the vaporization range given is 40-60 °C. In theory obviously it would mean that the first isomers of that mixture start boiling at 40 °C (Pentane) and the last ones will boil at 60 °C (Hexane). But in reality I have never observed excessive bubbling of any Petrol Ether before reaching the UPPER maximum, this would be 60 °C in this case. If you have a mixture, the higher boiling substance will actually act like a "glue" and prevent the lower boiling to evaporate too fast. I remember somebody wrote that Hexane-Heptane-Naphtha will evaporate slower than n-Heptane.

So dont worry, you could heat it to 60 °C with no problem!

Actually I would even recommend doing so ... because your mixture has Pentane / Hexane instead of Hexane / Heptane which I would recommend. Pentane has only a really low solubility for DMT, even at 40 °C. So technically I guess only the Hexane in your mix will realistically do the job. The best Petrol Ether is 60 - 80 °C in my opinion, Hexane + Heptane isomers. I have used the 40-60 also and it gave really white crystals. Actually I think this is due to the even lower solubility of water inside of this mix, which will then drag over even less of the brown-whatever-gunk in the water phase. I guess this stuff is the reason for the off-colour impurities and not actually the petrol ether catching it up. Still it might not catch your goodies as well as the other one in theory.

About evaporation:

At least it should evaporate really fast. But I guess this mix will freeze-out even more DMT than the 60-80 mix, so maybe full evaporation not even necessary.

the_Architect
#3 Posted : 8/15/2023 9:55:10 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Ok, thanks.
I´ll put the hot plate in 58ºC then... boubbly petroleum ether is too much for my heart...

I have some n-heptane also lab grade. I´ll make separate extractions and study the differences.

How much can I heat up the mix using n-heptane?
"...after five seconds I was no longer a marxist, no longer a materialist, no longer a rationalist.

Terrence McKenna

Brennendes Wasser
#4 Posted : 8/15/2023 10:08:15 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Chemical expert

Heptane will boil basically the same as water, so in theory you could just go full on 100 °C.

Still I would say more than 80 °C is not necessary. At this point solubility of DMT is already super high in your Alkanes. 60 °C would be still also pretty fine to get all your goodies with just 3-4 pulls. Still, only witrh the 40-60 petrol ether mix it might take a little longer at that Temp than with n-Heptane, but that is something which you might just try out and if your mix is still fine, just use that one! Thumbs up

Aah and dont forget that putting your hotplace on 58 °C will most likely result in your soup still being only 50 °C. Heat will not make it 100 % through, so the real temperature you will only know if you measure with a thermometer inside of your vessel. Nice apparatus, that will save a lot of Hand-Work Cool Cool

the_Architect
#5 Posted : 8/16/2023 1:33:22 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Thanks for the info, It will help keeping things safe for me.
The hotplate actually works with a termomether inside the mix, so it´s quite accurate.

To take the solvent later... I use a conic-long glass lab bottle, I patiently take the top of the mix with a sausser gourmet spoon for pouring sauce...

No more bicep shaking for me.

Terrence McKenna