We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
1984 Dune extended edition Options

anrchy
#1 Posted : 6/29/2012 9:26:03 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I'm about to throw this on! Big grin Big grin Big grin

Seen it a gazillion times since I was a kid. Even played the video game which i have to say in its time was really good and felt like playing the movie.

First time watching the movie after learning about DMT though. i love how they share such similarities.

Good thread for talk about the movie and the other off shoots, Children of Dune, Dune 2000 ect.

Hope there isnt already a thread on this.
Open your Mind () Please read my DMT vaping guide () Fear is the mind killer

"Energy flows where attention goes"

[Please review the forum Wiki and FAQ before posting questions]

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

Mister_Niles
#2 Posted : 6/29/2012 2:15:24 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I couldn't get your link to work, but I'm assuming they still haven't released the long version.

I wish.

It's locked up in the vaults of the American Film Institute. My friend and I fantasized about breaking in to watch it, but I'm sure it would take less than 4hrs. for the cops to show up. I read that only Herbert and Lynch have seen that cut. I also read somewhere else that the unreleased version was originally over 6hrs. long. That could be b.s. That's getting into Warhol territory.
Welcome Home Mister_Niles. We've Been Waiting For You.

"Don't worry. When it happens, you won't be able to not let it do its thing. You won't have the ability to distinguish a pen from a hippopotamus"
- Art Van D'lay

Vodsel
#3 Posted : 6/29/2012 4:15:33 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Senior Member | Skills: Filmmaking and Storytelling, Video and Audio Technology, Teaching, Gardening, Languages (Proficient Spanish, Catalan and English, and some french, italian and russian), Seafood cuisine

Mister_Niles wrote:
I also read somewhere else that the unreleased version was originally over 6hrs. long. That could be b.s. That's getting into Warhol territory.

So it seems.

IMDB wrote:
Contrary to popular rumors, no 6-hours long director's cut, ever existed. The only "director's cut" of the film was the one shown theatrically; Lynch never had a hand in any other version of Dune. Lynch's original intention was for Dune to have been about 3+ hours long. To that end, about 5 hours was shot. This is also confirmed by author 'Frank Herbert' wrote in the introduction to the book "Eye". It would be impossible for a 6-hour version to exist and even a 5-hour Dune would mean the inclusion of many scenes never intended for the final version (for reasons of redundancy, etc.). It is only necessary to read any of the final scripts for the film to realize that there was never any intention of making Dune more than 4 hours in length at the very most: the script for anything more just was never there.

The long, near three hours TV release of the movie was disowned by Lynch, and his name is not featured in the credits. And considering his regrets about the movie, is unlikely that a long "director's cut" is ever released.

But hey, who's complaining... Dune fans have the motherload of books, videogames and spinoffs Smile

And I agree with anrchy that the first two computer games were excellent.

Burnttoast22
#4 Posted : 5/23/2023 2:15:29 PM

DMT-Nexus member

If you want the best possible version (IMHO) of Lynch's Dune try and track down 'The Third Stage' Edit.

This follows the TV cut but all the awful stuff has been removed (terrible CGI, reversed shots etc. etc.) and all the deleted scenes from the special edition ahsve been reincorporated back into the movie in the right places and all the CGI work has been redone so the Freman all have blue eyes etc.

This the closest thing Ive found to the fabled cut that never existed.

If you're having trouble finding it drop me a PM.

Pandora
#5 Posted : 5/23/2023 3:12:01 PM

Got Naloxone?

Welcoming committeeSenior Member

Just one old woman's opinion who has read every single original Dune books multiple times and seen every single version of the movies multiple times.

The David Lynch version was terrible compared to the book. But long ago the Sci Fi (now known as Syfy) channel published Dune and then combined Messiah and Children of Dune together and it was amazing.

Although they didn't have a lot of money for anything other than nice clothes it was still clear that they had read way more than the cliff notes of the books and understood that what needed to happen at the end was not rain on the planet of Dune which would have collapsed the entire political economy of the Galaxy. David Lynch and his screenwriters went for flashy visuals and a quick buck rather than paying attention to what Frank Herbert was trying to tell us.
"But even if nothing lasts and everything is lost, there is still the intrinsic value of the moment. The present moment, ultimately, is more than enough, a gift of grace and unfathomable value, which our friend and lover death paints in stark relief."
-Rick Doblin, Ph.D. MAPS President, MAPS Bulletin Vol. XX, No. 1, pg. 2

Hyperspace LOVES YOU

Burnttoast22
#6 Posted : 5/23/2023 4:22:50 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I can only encourage you to seek out the cut I mentioned above I think you may be pleasently surprised. Its so much better than the theatrical cut and the extra scenes really help with the narative. For example you see the ceremony where they drown a worm.

Interestingly I had the exact opposite experience with the Sci-fi channel movies, I absolutely hated them. IMO Half the actors were wrong, it seemed the director purposely refused to have any poinant scene from the Lynch version included in his version which really hurt the story and while they did include more lore it was still a very poor reflection of the source material.

The only version of the movie I can watch now is the Third Stage Edit.

I quite enjoy the new movie but its still lacking; again I find the choices for certain characters to be completely baffling and a lot of the 'feel' of the universe feels off which for me at least I think Lynch nailed.

Mitakuye Oyasin
#7 Posted : 5/23/2023 9:29:12 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I added the links below to an old Movies worth watching thread recently, but I'll add them here as well.

Apparently some Dune fans found a bunch of footage that had been edited out of the movie and put it back in, adding another 45 minutes from the 'director's cut'. Since Frank Herbert seemed to have a fascination with psychoactive compounds, I figured there would be some here that would appreciate this fan extended version. Looking forward to watching this soon.

Dune 1984 Alternative Edition Redux
https://www.youtube.com/...h?v=vJykw3H4PDw&t=2s

4K version
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faHQA_0d9Mo
Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous.
— Terence McKenna

All my posts are hypothetical and for educational/entertainment purposes, and are not an endorsement of said activities. SWIM (a fictional character based on other people) either obtained a license for said activity, did said activity where it is legal to do so, or as in most cases the activity is completely fictional.