We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Rue Cold Water? Options

OneIsEros
#1 Posted : 3/28/2023 9:33:41 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Edit: Just wanted to update. 4 grams syrian rue with 10 grams mimosa hostilis, both powdered, with a splash of vinegar in a mason jar of water for one week, shaken daily, was incredibly powerful. Lower the dose if intense isn’t your preference. Loved it.

Original post:
Does anybody know if a cold water extract of syrian rue would work? I know it works wonderfully well with acacia, and it’s just so convenient to just shake a jar of water and then filter/drink the liquid at the end of the week.

I’ve never added lemon juice to my CWE acacia before, but perhaps with rue and mimosa in there together it wouldn’t be a bad idea to add a bit? How much lemon juice would one add to a CWE? Never tried it. If anyone’s got some info to share that’d be great Smile

I was thinking 4G rue and 10G mimosa in 250ml water… would this work? Lemon juice is a completely unknown factor to me. Drops? A bucket? (Kidding, but seriously, I have no clue).

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

ommani
#2 Posted : 3/29/2023 4:55:06 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Cold water extraction of Syrian Rue definitely works. I did it that way multiple times, years ago, and would like to again at some point. Good to know CWE works for Acacia, as well.

From what I remember, toasted and powdered seeds soaked in water for 24 hours is how I did it. I don't think I used lemon juice, but might have used a bit of apple cider vinegar (I'm guessing a teaspoon would be plenty, and might not even be necessary).

I think I might have soaked the seeds in peppermint tea to alleviate nausea, or maybe added reduced peppermint tea to the final shot of brew. Also remember adding a bunch of honey.

I miss Syrian Rue and Caapi vine, and need to get those plants back in my life.

OneIsEros
#3 Posted : 3/29/2023 5:21:31 AM

DMT-Nexus member

THANK-YOU! Awesome idea with the peppermint tea, brilliant!!!

dithyramb
#4 Posted : 3/29/2023 7:32:39 AM

DMT-Nexus member

My evolution has been that initially I was boiling rue once. Then İ started multiple boils. Then I changed that to multiple simmers. The simmers felt "cleaner" but after some time I recognized the full power is missing. I got back to multiple boils, and then I recognized this is too harsh. I finally settled where I had begun. Single boil.

With a cold extract you definitely get something. For me it's lacking the full power. But I never tried it with vinegar. My experience with other plants with a cold soak high vinegar concentrated water is that it pulled out a lot of unwanted components, more than with simmering.
The consciousness of plants is a constant source of information for medicine, alimentation, and art, and an example of the intelligence and creative imagination of nature. Much of my education I owe to the intelligence of these great teachers. Thus I consider myself to be the “representative” of plants, and for this reason I assert that if they cut down the trees and burn what’s left of the rainforests, it is the same as burning a whole library of books without ever having read them.

~ Pablo Amaringo

OneIsEros
#5 Posted : 3/29/2023 8:07:14 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Sounds good! My stomach’s pretty accomodating, it’s really just a convenience thing. Grind the rue and mimosa up, throw em in a jar with some water and something acidic, and just shake it now and then. End of the week, filter and drink. Seems more straight forward than the long boiling days I’ve seen prescribed online.

dithyramb
#6 Posted : 3/29/2023 8:33:50 AM

DMT-Nexus member

A single half hour boil is more than enough with rue my friend (the same is true for powdered mimosa). I boil for one hour and then concentrate. Seems more convenient than a week long cold soak to me.

Rue is not caapi. They are very different in many ways.
The consciousness of plants is a constant source of information for medicine, alimentation, and art, and an example of the intelligence and creative imagination of nature. Much of my education I owe to the intelligence of these great teachers. Thus I consider myself to be the “representative” of plants, and for this reason I assert that if they cut down the trees and burn what’s left of the rainforests, it is the same as burning a whole library of books without ever having read them.

~ Pablo Amaringo

downwardsfromzero
#7 Posted : 3/29/2023 6:43:57 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

I've been getting some smooth results with raw powdered rue seeds brewed a few times using distilled water in a coffee percolator - the old school syphon type with the jug and hotplate, just to be clear. Brings a ton of pectin through though, so it looks terrible. The brews look clearer when I add a few scoops of ascorbic acid on top of the seeds, but I prefer them brewed without acid (apart form the taste, which is broadly incorrigible).

What I've done lately is add ascorbic acid after brewing and then simmer for some time while bubbling air through the tea. Whether this has any influence on the chemical composition of the actives in the brew remains to be seen but subjectively the effects are smooth enough and aeration hastens reduction of the brew without increasing fuel usage. Aeration and reduction leads - eventually - to some coagulation of some of the brew components such that they can be filtered out, although this appears to be more effective in the case of seeds brewed with ascorbic acid.

Coagulation has been less effective with brews where the ascorbic acid was added later, although this may be because less acid was added since I calculated it in terms of the molar ratios rather than just chucking a few scoops into the percolator. Or it may be because the ascorbic acid, when added to the seeds, coagulates protein in the seeds and prevents it from passing into the brew.

Most folks won't want to try my methods because they are simply too too slow (my methods, I mean Big grin ) They are largely set-and-leave, though. The mean thing is to be mindful of the reductions so that they don't boil dry and get ruined - something you wouldn't have to worry about with cold brewing!

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

OneIsEros
#8 Posted : 4/10/2023 1:33:16 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Just wanted to update. 4 grams syrian rue with 10 grams mimosa hostilis, both powdered, with a splash of vinegar in a mason jar of water for one week, shaken daily, was incredibly powerful. Lower the dose if intense isn’t your preference. Loved it.

Jees
#9 Posted : 4/10/2023 1:20:16 PM

DMT-Nexus member

OneIsEros wrote:
Just wanted to update. 4 grams syrian rue with 10 grams mimosa hostilis, both powdered, with a splash of vinegar in a mason jar of water for one week, shaken daily, was incredibly powerful. Lower the dose if intense isn’t your preference. Loved it.
Did things alike with 3gr non roasted powdered rue and 7gr powder mimo, yes very powerful. I even did the cold soaks in the fridge, shake often. Used to start with a pH 3 cold water with phosphoric acid, that leaves barely a taste of it's own.
CWE's of rue alone get mold after like 3 - 4 days, not so with mimo powder, never mold then.

dragonrider
#10 Posted : 4/10/2023 3:49:02 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Jees wrote:
OneIsEros wrote:
Did things alike with 3gr non roasted powdered rue and 7gr powder mimo, yes very powerful. I even did the cold soaks in the fridge, shake often. Used to start with a pH 3 cold water with phosphoric acid, that leaves barely a taste of it's own.
CWE's of rue alone get mold after like 3 - 4 days, not so with mimo powder, never mold then.

I've done some mimosa cold brews as well. I also found it quite effective. But it's very acidic as well and you need about ten times the amount you would use when boiling it. So you get an awfull lot of tannins in your brew.

I personally don't mind it that much, but not everybody responds well to such incredibly tannic brews. If you don't like astringent foods and drinks, you definately are not going to like this.

OneIsEros
#11 Posted : 4/10/2023 5:21:15 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Jees wrote:
[quote=OneIsEros]CWE's of rue alone get mold after like 3 - 4 days, not so with mimo powder, never mold then.

Interesting. As in, rue alone gets mold, but rue+mimosa gets no mold?

dragonrider
#12 Posted : 4/10/2023 6:01:41 PM

DMT-Nexus member

OneIsEros wrote:
Jees wrote:
[quote=OneIsEros]CWE's of rue alone get mold after like 3 - 4 days, not so with mimo powder, never mold then.

Interesting. As in, rue alone gets mold, but rue+mimosa gets no mold?

It's probably because it's acidity.

I believe that when PH gets below 4, most fungi either die or stop growing, and most bacteria as well.

So a strong mimosa cold brew probably has a ph value of 4 or lower.

Jees
#13 Posted : 4/10/2023 6:02:35 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Quote:
but rue+mimosa gets no mold?
I've never CWE'ed both together, but next to each other in a separate bottle. To first drink the aweful rue, then the disgusting mimo. The mimo bottle never got mold, the rue bottle always did after 3 maybe 5 days. Idk for a mix, if mimo could prevent te rue mold from happening.

Dragonrider, this is a long time ago and memory falls short, but needing 10x for CWE mimo is a lot. I was talking real powder, not finely shredded or so.
Tannins & Co: an aya purge is a nasty business but I found that nice compared to a rue-mimo purge, yuck Razz

LoveInTheDream
#14 Posted : 4/10/2023 10:02:49 PM
DMT-Nexus member

OneIsEros wrote:
Does anybody know if a cold water extract of syrian rue would work? I know it works wonderfully well with acacia, and it’s just so convenient to just shake a jar of water and then filter/drink the liquid at the end of the week.

What measurement of ACRB would you recommend to replicate your successful experiment? 4g rue and 7g ACRB seem like a fine place to start? Fridged together in one jar with a dash of vinegar and shaken sporadically for a week?

dragonrider
#15 Posted : 4/10/2023 10:15:16 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Jees wrote:
Quote:
but rue+mimosa gets no mold?
I've never CWE'ed both together, but next to each other in a separate bottle. To first drink the aweful rue, then the disgusting mimo. The mimo bottle never got mold, the rue bottle always did after 3 maybe 5 days. Idk for a mix, if mimo could prevent te rue mold from happening.

Dragonrider, this is a long time ago and memory falls short, but needing 10x for CWE mimo is a lot. I was talking real powder, not finely shredded or so.
Tannins & Co: an aya purge is a nasty business but I found that nice compared to a rue-mimo purge, yuck Razz

Yeah, it's also a few years ago for me. But if my memory serves me well i used somewhere around 10 grams of mimosa powder on a few occasions. I only soaked it for one night though, so a cold brew that's been soaking for a couple of days is probably way stronger.

OneIsEros
#16 Posted : 4/10/2023 11:11:35 PM

DMT-Nexus member

LoveInTheDream wrote:
OneIsEros wrote:

What measurement of ACRB would you recommend to replicate your successful experiment? 4g rue and 7g ACRB seem like a fine place to start? Fridged together in one jar with a dash of vinegar and shaken sporadically for a week?

I used to do ACRB CWE and it subjectively feels pretty parallel in dosage to mimosa based on my experiment. I just didn’t know if it’d work with rue. It IS convenient, but I warn ya: I’ve got a stomach of steel for huasca, nausea is verrrry rarely an issue for me, and this was no different - once I got it down. The actual act of drinking it though…. That much liquid, with rue, plus vinegar….. mmmm boy. Not fun. I’m going to keep doing it because it’s convenient, buuuuut…..

A boiled shot of rue liquid without any vinegar is definitely easier, and, speaking from experience, ACRB CWE does not need vinegar, and while it isn’t pleasant, it’s easier than rue to get down. A lot easier.

But I can get it down without *too* much difficulty personally and I love the convenience of just filtering the plants out and gulping, so, I’m sticking with this method.

Jees
#17 Posted : 4/11/2023 4:51:37 PM

DMT-Nexus member

dragonrider wrote:
...I only soaked it for one night though, so a cold brew that's been soaking for a couple of days is probably way stronger.
Must have been an important distinction, I soaked it for a week at least, with few hefty shakings every day. Did you lower pH of the water? I did, to 3.

dragonrider
#18 Posted : 4/11/2023 5:40:52 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Jees wrote:
dragonrider wrote:
...I only soaked it for one night though, so a cold brew that's been soaking for a couple of days is probably way stronger.
Must have been an important distinction, I soaked it for a week at least, with few hefty shakings every day. Did you lower pH of the water? I did, to 3.

No, i did not lower it. At the time i believed yuremamine to be responsible for the effects of cold water extracts, and yuremamine was considered a realy unstable molecule. Hence, also, the short time soaking it.

It was also supposed to be active without MAOI's but i never tested that theory for myself.

dithyramb
#19 Posted : 4/11/2023 5:56:09 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Yes, my high vinegar cold extract trials with certain plants turned out harsh in taste and harsh to the stomach, and they pulled in a lot of unwanted components.

I'm actually developing a relationship with vinegar at the moment. I had quit acidifying my brews for some years. It still appears that DMT plants are best simmered without acidifying, but I am leaning on vinegar added boils for rue now. Boiled down brews supposedly have less vinegar residue left in them (is that true?). I still can taste it but it is not harsh as cold extracts.

OneIsEros, congratulations. 10g mimosa is a crazy dose for me, no matter how it is prepared.

~ Pablo Amaringo

OneIsEros
#20 Posted : 4/12/2023 6:03:09 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I just had an idea. For me, drinking it is the most nauseating part. The holding it down part is pretty easy after that. Many stomachs may not find that, but that’s the case for me…

Freeze it into little ice cubes, and swallow them! I’ll let you know how it goes!