We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Converting mitragynine (in kratom) to 7-hydroxymitragynine Options

m119matt
#1 Posted : 2/7/2019 1:03:21 PM
DMT-Nexus member

7-ho is much more potent but it exists in lower amounts in kratom. Does anyone know how to oxidize mitragynine to 7-ho? I think it has been done with sunlight and an oxidizer, I dont know which one. Would hydrogen peroxide work?

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

shroomydan
#2 Posted : 2/1/2020 8:17:37 AM
DMT-Nexus member

I'm going to try an experiment soon to do this. Make sodium hypochlorite by electrolysis of brine then pour in H202 to form singlet oxygen pour in kratom and the evaporative the solution. Does anybody know if this will leave behind anything dangerous in the kratom? I might need to clean it up afterward if it does but I think it will be safe to eat the dried product

954kevin
#3 Posted : 3/16/2023 12:54:46 AM
DMT-Nexus member

shroomydan wrote:
I'm going to try an experiment soon to do this. Make sodium hypochlorite by electrolysis of brine then pour in H202 to form singlet oxygen pour in kratom and the evaporative the solution. Does anybody know if this will leave behind anything dangerous in the kratom? I might need to clean it up afterward if it does but I think it will be safe to eat the dried product

Whats up!? I know its bringing this thread back from the dead, but wondering if you ever went ahead with this process or if you devised another method?

Th3k1d93
#4 Posted : 3/19/2023 6:47:13 AM

DMT-Nexus member

UV irradiation does a solid job of oxidation of mitragynine..

I wrote up a kitchen chemistry tek awhile back for wholesale conversion of mitragynine to 7-oh-mitragynine, but I'm not going to rewrite it all here.

Very summed up, you can utilize 35% H2O2 for a few hours, then hit with heavy UV-A/B/C radiation for a day or two and convert about 80% of the mitragynine to 7-oh-mitragynine. If you want me to post the whole tek which would take me hours to write out again from years ago, you gotta give me a lot of time, lol.
Without growth, what's the point?

Avid gardener and Ethnobotany enthusiast

Twilight Person
#5 Posted : 3/19/2023 9:01:46 PM

DMT-Nexus member

H2O2 and UV radiation sound like a good combo to also create N-Oxide. Is that not a thing with this compound? It looks like all the N are not well accessible or at least not sticking on a free-rotating side-chain. Is t hat maybe a reason why you dont destroy your compound instead?
~ O ~

Th3k1d93
#6 Posted : 3/19/2023 9:11:06 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Twilight Person wrote:
H2O2 and UV radiation sound like a good combo to also create N-Oxide. Is that not a thing with this compound? It looks like all the N are not well accessible or at least not sticking on a free-rotating side-chain. Is t hat maybe a reason why you dont destroy your compound instead?

As far as I'm aware, it's not. I've done quite a bit of research with kratom alkaloids through Grad school, I've never heard of Mitragynine N-oxide at all, and it's not available from chemical suppliers.

Fermentation and aging of the leaf in bright sunlight has been utilized as long as kratom use has been around, this itself helps to spike the 7-oh levels. I commented the procedure a little more in depth in the "kratom extraction" post in the welcome area.

https://www.dmt-nexus.me...spx?g=posts&t=101797
Without growth, what's the point?

Avid gardener and Ethnobotany enthusiast

travisgalactic
#7 Posted : 8/22/2023 11:20:15 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Adding my experience here. I found a study done on the ACS site of mytragynine derivatives - synthesis and function - they converted mytragynine to 7-oh-mytragynine by combining oxone with mytragynine with acetone as a solvent and sodium bicarbonate buffer. Stir for 30 minutes and extract for approx 30% yield. Looking at the oxidative properties of oxone, I didn't see why concentrated H2O2, or really any oxidant commonly used in organic oxidation reactions. I combined the extracted and purified mytragynine and did the same process only swapping out the ozone for 35% H2O2. It definitely reacted and started lightening up, which was promising since 7-OH is pale yellow more that dark/bright. After the reaction, I started to work up the batch and curiously I COULDN'T for the life of me get the alkaloid to A/B. The mytragynine was also water soluble - which mytragynine ISNT water soluble in almost all forms so this was also strange. I'm pretty sure this formed mytragynine n-oxide similar to DMT. The n-oxide forms just to the right of the 7OH position at either 8 or 9 and induces a conformational change and makes it water soluble so less ability to cross the BBB. I found a study confirming it does exist and, unfortunately, likewise it has no opioid affects at all. Anyway YMMV. I did end up reacting it for a longer time bc it took me time to setup next steps and H2O2 can't be quenched as easily as other oxidation agents.

downwardsfromzero
#8 Posted : 8/22/2023 9:31:39 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

Looks like you've partly answered for yourself the question as to why they used oxone and not something else (in particular, hydrogen peroxide) with the inferred N-oxide formation!

Oxone splits up into free radicals more readily than H2O2 does, thus favoring radical substitution rather than the N-oxidation via monatomic oxygen or nucleophilic reaction with the H2O2.

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli