We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Kratom Extraction Options

954kevin
#1 Posted : 3/17/2023 12:52:08 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Hey what's up Nexus team!? I am currently knee deep in learning about at home kratom extractions. I have read every thread here and on several other community groups. There are a hundred ways to skin this cat and the results seems to vary just as much. I noticed many of the thread here on the matter are fairly old and I'm hoping its not too much to ask for some of the wizards here to revisit the topic with the advantage of time gone by. I'm sure much has been learned and I would really like to gain some of that knowledge from those who posses it.

I'm not super versed in biochemistry and I don't own a rotovap and a lab full of glassware, but I'm sure there are some extraction methods that can cater to these parameters and produce a high quality, full spectrum kratom extract.

I'm excited to hear the responses and eager to learn. I appreciate ya!!! Smile

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

abecedarian
#2 Posted : 3/17/2023 2:06:55 AM

∵ ✞ ☯ ॐ ☮ ღ Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ © $ ∴ Ę$ø✞ęRhe✟ori© ABe©eDarian $✞ȉllĨn✞hę©®@✟ę

I don't have any advice for you but I wish you luck in your endeavor. There are various forms of kratom extracts out there to buy but aside from the simple kratom tar/resin extract I don't know much about how they are made.

I did in more recent years try what the seller calls a "Black Diamond" kratom extract but I found it to be lacking for the price paid. It seemed like paying for the extraction process without too much benefit over just swallowing the leaf as tea or in capsules.

As a kratom user since 2004 I just consume the powdered leaf in warm water at home and I have found that simple powdered leaf in large gelatin capsules for on the go or at work away from home is enough for me. My dose range isn't too high so it's not too many capsules I have to swallow. My current dose size is 4.5 grams at a time. I have heard of people taking larger doses than I've ever consumed so I guess it would make sense to want the concentrated alkaloids in less material at that point.

Maybe another nexus member who's a real chemist can help you out.
I'm a man from a place with hands and a face. Part of the heart of the human race. It illuminates. ∵ ✞ ☯ ॐ ☮ ღ Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ © $ ∴ Ę$ø✞ę®ȉ©

954kevin
#3 Posted : 3/17/2023 2:43:57 AM
DMT-Nexus member

I appreciate your response! I've been a moderate kratom user for some time. There are lots of high quality extracts readily available. Mostly, I'm simply inspired to learn more about the biochemistry aspect and have fun tinkering. I don't have any grand ideas of monetizing the results or anything. I have a pile of kratom I probably won't use otherwise and my ambition for figuring out this process, within my means, has given me something to focus my noggin on.

I have made a successful ethanol extraction, but I would really like to make something more refined just to do it.

I have quite a bit of experience manufacturing various other illicit substances. So, this isn't beyond my ability to learn about or create, but I'm certainly a layman and need a generous soul to "guide" my efforts. I'm just as interested in learning the "why" and "how" as I am in obtaining the end results. I have a lot of fun doing this kind of thing!

abecedarian
#4 Posted : 3/17/2023 7:03:45 PM

No problem kevin.

I do believe there must be a person or two here who can tell you the possibilities. I have done Mescaline, Salvia, and DMT extractions but only because they were simple for me to do with relative ease as I'm not the most chemistry-inclined for anything more complex. I have no idea if isolating clean alkaloids from kratom can be as simple.

To some degree I think the Kratom is a bit frowned upon around here because of it's habitual use and addiction potential. But I'm not frowning at you. I've used it off and on since 2004, sometimes rarely and sometimes daily and here and there in between. I go through phases where I use it to tolerate what I'm putting myself through. Recently I was on it daily for a few months straight mostly at work because of long hours doing physically taxing tasks. It really helps with simple manual labor and is very anti-fatigue while helping me feel better from chronic pain. And this week I abruptly stopped it for 4 days and just like in my past it proved to not be a problem. Sometimes people lump it in with hard opiate use and can be judgemental but to me it has it's place for legit beneficial use. I get bloodwork done once or twice per year and even during my more constant use there were no signs of it being too detrimental.

Interested in reading what you come up with. Peace.
I'm a man from a place with hands and a face. Part of the heart of the human race. It illuminates. ∵ ✞ ☯ ॐ ☮ ღ Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ © $ ∴ Ę$ø✞ę®ȉ©

Th3k1d93
#5 Posted : 3/19/2023 6:53:22 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Without a fairly high end setup including a rotovap and the like, your best bet is to go for a simple full spectrum resin extract using alcohol/water and a touch of h2o2. Saturate powder with H2O2 first, let it sit for awhile while it attacks the cell walls, then soak in ethanol. Everclear if it's legal where you are. The second wash, hit it with just enough water to saturate it again then filter it out with cheese cloth or a t-shirt, making sure to wring out all the water you can. Run your liquid through a coffee filter to catch whatever remaining sediment. Evaporate it off to resin.

If potency is your goal, you can further oxidize a good portion of the mitragynine to 7-oh-mitragynine using 10% h202 and UV-A/B/C radiation. Sunlight works, directed UV bulbs work better though unless you're in a heavy UV zone like an Arizona summer. Dilute 35%H2O2 to 10%, add enough to your kratom resin to fully saturate it, then spread it thin on a pyrex baking dish and set it under a UV bulb for reptiles/reef tanks or in very strong sunlight for a day while it dries back out. It won't oxidize all of the mitragynine, but it does a great job at converting most of it.

This is a good way of doing it to have on hand.

Anecdotally, with no analytics behind it, just a lot of internet discourse and a process I've tried out with success myself:

You can also start a fermentation process on leaf powder then kill the culture with a splash of 3% H2O2 after a day of letting it roll. This sparks an oxidation process in the tea that also converts a solid amount of the mitragynine. But this is really only good for a day's worth of dosing at a time. With oxidizing the resin, you've got something high potency you can have on hand to use alone or stretch kratom leaf further.
Without growth, what's the point?

Avid gardener and Ethnobotany enthusiast

954kevin
#6 Posted : 3/23/2023 9:21:19 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Th3k1d93 wrote:
Without a fairly high end setup including a rotovap and the like, your best bet is to go for a simple full spectrum resin extract using alcohol/water and a touch of h2o2. Saturate powder with H2O2 first, let it sit for awhile while it attacks the cell walls, then soak in ethanol. Everclear if it's legal where you are. The second wash, hit it with just enough water to saturate it again then filter it out with cheese cloth or a t-shirt, making sure to wring out all the water you can. Run your liquid through a coffee filter to catch whatever remaining sediment. Evaporate it off to resin.

If potency is your goal, you can further oxidize a good portion of the mitragynine to 7-oh-mitragynine using 10% h202 and UV-A/B/C radiation. Sunlight works, directed UV bulbs work better though unless you're in a heavy UV zone like an Arizona summer. Dilute 35%H2O2 to 10%, add enough to your kratom resin to fully saturate it, then spread it thin on a pyrex baking dish and set it under a UV bulb for reptiles/reef tanks or in very strong sunlight for a day while it dries back out. It won't oxidize all of the mitragynine, but it does a great job at converting most of it.

This is a good way of doing it to have on hand.

Anecdotally, with no analytics behind it, just a lot of internet discourse and a process I've tried out with success myself:

You can also start a fermentation process on leaf powder then kill the culture with a splash of 3% H2O2 after a day of letting it roll. This sparks an oxidation process in the tea that also converts a solid amount of the mitragynine. But this is really only good for a day's worth of dosing at a time. With oxidizing the resin, you've got something high potency you can have on hand to use alone or stretch kratom leaf further.

Thanks a bunch for the response! I would love to read the full tek if you find a link. What is it the h2o2 is doing to facilitate the conversion? I don't have a raotvap, but I could probably put something together to evaporate solvent under vacuum. I'm not apposed to using an a/b tek to extract, but there so many option its hard to know which reagents work best, that are fairly easy to obtain without raising any attention. Or if the results are even worth the effort vs a simple ethanol extraction. Honestly, part of my interest is just doing the research and putting it into practice.

abecedarian
#7 Posted : 3/24/2023 12:20:39 AM

Are all the interesting alkaloids in kratom highly soluble in alcohol?

Wondering about making tincture.

Thanks.