We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
What did I make? MHRB A/B Options

BobDobbs
#1 Posted : 2/19/2023 1:10:20 PM
DMT-Nexus member

On a whim I pressure cooked 50g of MHRB in a vinegar solution, let it settle, filtered and based with a little Sodium Carbonate. I let that settle, removed the top layer and washed a number of times before allowing the settled bottom layer to dry in the Sun. I now have just over 8g of dry, chalky, light purple stuff. At a guess, those 8g could contain somewhere between 0.5g to 1.5g of DMT - but what else could it be likely to contain?

For what it's worth, the motivation for dehydrating at this point rather than extraction via a non-polar solvent (such as Naphtha or Xylene) is the hit-and-miss nature of the experiences I've had vaping DMT extracted this way. I get the impression that, at least for me, DMT that has been exposed to a petrochemical becomes at least somewhat divorced of its capacity to provide a profound experience.

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

doubledog
#2 Posted : 2/19/2023 7:45:10 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Interesting approach, are you sure that DMT is in your extract?
If yes, some non active plant material could be left behind by extracting it with IPA or acetone.

fink
#3 Posted : 2/19/2023 8:18:50 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Out of curiosity what basis do you have for assuming NPS extracted DMT dosnt really give profound experiences? I'm not doubting you, but just curious. The evidence would suggest that many of us have had profound experiences using this method. But I am always keen to improve my experiences if possible.
I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

endlessness
#4 Posted : 2/19/2023 9:24:35 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Even though DMT freebase can precipitate from a clean aqueous solution, I´m not sure DMT will precipitate from a crude aqueous mimosa decoction. It may be some impurities affect DMT freebase solubility (so you might have lost your actives or part of them if you discarded the liquid fraction).

If your alkaloids are indeed in your precipitated solids, then you could clean them up with any number of ways if you wanted. Any solvent that dissolves freebase DMT which can be filtered will further remove some impurities. If you are more comfortable with a class of solvents (lets say, ethanol for example), then you could try that. Dissolve, filter, evap. Repeat process if necessary. Here´s an example of a method based on that.

As for whether petrochemicals affect the experience, I might be wrong but my hypothesis is that it´s more of a (conscious or unconscious) moral judgement you´re having that can affect the experience, and not something about the solvent itself. I once gave pure DMT extracted with naphtha to an amazonian shaman and he loved it, had very significant visions for him and felt he connected with the spirits. Not that his experience needs to matter, but it´s just an example. Another example is when when Maria Sabina took synthesized psilocybin from Hofmann and said ´the spirits were there´.

Some people in the ayahuasca/entheogen world argue that purified extracts ´aren´t spiritual´, which makes me wonder (in part sarcastically) about the solubility of those transcendental spirits we are seeking. Basically what these ´pro-natural´ people are saying is that spirits are water soluble but not soluble in non-polar solvents. What other chemical properties do spirits have? And if being ´natural´ is so important, why are they even doing an aqueous extraction in the first place? Why not just chew/eat the plant itself? There are indigenous groups that have historically simply chewed caapi vine for example, why not do that ?

Or, another way to think about it is: If it´s not about the solubilty of spirits, but about the bad karma that petrochemicals have, then do the spirits not care that petrochemicals were used to make the container the plant material is stored in or transported in? Or the petrochem as source of energy for transport or for the electricity where it was powdered or the source of energy for heating/boiling the plant before consuming ?

I just ask these questions as food for thought. Of course by all means you should do whatever you are more comfortable with. It is definitely very important that you don´t have negative thoughts before embarking on such an important journey.

downwardsfromzero
#5 Posted : 2/19/2023 10:37:49 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

Petroleum is a natural material too Laughing

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli