We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Safety of DMT e-juice and o-rings/plastic Options

ShadedSelf
#1 Posted : 2/10/2023 9:32:01 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I havent been able to find much info about this.

I had a mixture of vaping liquid with DMT that I left on a tank for probably over a year, there was very little of it left.
When I came back to it the other day and added a bit more juice just to see if there would be any vapeable reminders before cleaning it and adding new DMT-juice, I tried it and I was hit with a strong rubbery taste/smell, it reminded me of the smell at some sport shops.

I cant say that there being DMT in there is what made it had that taste (juice was mint flavored and could just be the pg/vg), or that the taste is actually "degraded" o-ring, but it does raise some safety concerns for me.

Also, assuming this is actually DMT inteacting with the o-rings, would DMT salts prevent that?

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

downwardsfromzero
#2 Posted : 2/10/2023 10:24:16 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

Seems more likely that the o-rings will degrade no matter what, unless they're made of lab-grad, platinum-cured silicone, perhaps. It's possible the DMT may accelerate the degradation, but let's face it - this isn't something that manufacturers would routinely test for compatibility!

If you know what your o-rings are made of, you could check the compatibility of that material with other types of amines.

Some possible components of the mint flavouring have the potential to attack rubber too.

What kind of wick material was used? Was there any contact between the juice and any other materials such as any other kind of plastic, or brass terminal screws? What was the heating element made of?

If there's not much left, it's probably not worth the trouble of trying to recover it (if you were even considering this) - and the rubbery taste might simply be down to degradation of the DMT as well.

But it does seem likely that DMT salts might be less corrosive to o-rings than the freebase. Only a side-by-side comparison would really tell, though.

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

ShadedSelf
#3 Posted : 2/11/2023 9:54:41 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I havent been able to find any info on what material my specific tank o-rings are made of, apparently most vape o-rings are made out of nitrile rubber, a quick google search says, could be silicone or neoprene too.

The only contact should have been with, o-rings, pyrex glass, stainless steel body, cotton whick and Fe-Cr-Al mesh.

Apparently nitrile and dimethylamine dont go well together, or with any other common tank o-ring material for that matter, not sure if that applys to DMT though, havent been able to find much about tryptamines.
Menthol seems pretty incompatible too.

Sounds like nitrile is non toxic by itself?
Might be worth sourcing our own quality o-rings anyways.

downwardsfromzero
#4 Posted : 2/11/2023 4:57:25 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

Yep, good bit of researching there. If it was nitrile you'd best avoid prolonged contact in future. Better still, as you suggest, replace them with something which you know is compatible.

I wouldn't recommend vaping stuff with nitrile rubber residues in it. Your small loss constitutes an important gain to the community as a whole.

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli