We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Favorite brand/supplier of naphtha and heptane? (USA) Options

Held In Amber
#1 Posted : 1/21/2023 9:03:12 AM

A paella of space-talking jive

Saw some older posts about this, but figured that more recent opinions are good to hear too.

Overall, cleanness/affordability-wise what are y'all's favorite ones? I'm still torn between naphtha and heptane, but I'm leaning towards naphtha. Either way though, I appreciate any recommendations.

Also, as a sidenote, I recently evap tested Crown's White Gas Camp Fuel and it was terrible. Left a faint transparent spot and also left a horrific residual smell, strong enough to give me a headache just by slightly wafting the dried glass. Confused I planned to try it after seeing a poster just last year use it, but after seeing that, (and seeing the current SDS after requesting it -- Make sure your SDSs are up to date!) it looks like it's gotten a lot dirtier than it once was. I'm getting more sketched out about even the higher-purity paint thinner/fuel-branded solvents as I read more about them tbh, but also don't have a lot of extra money to spend on a solvent alone. Neutral

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

Toshido
#2 Posted : 1/30/2023 7:31:23 AM

Research & Development

Naphtha pulls a wider range of plant fats and oils while N-Heptane is more selective.

VM&P Naphtha can be found at most hardware stores, although some states it is now banned including California and Maryland. Some areas in the UK are banning as well.

BUT You can still get it off of Amazon.

I use Bestine solvent thinner. It's N-Heptane and it worked quite well. You can refer to my A/B Tek to look at the results.

Some notes on the Bestine.

Flash Point: -9C(15.8F) to -6.7C(20 F)

Evap Test: Passed (no residue left over, it evaporated completely, leaving zero smell)

Bestine MSDS

Bestine MSDS 2

🌳👨‍🔬🌳 - My A/B Hot Plate TEK - 🌳👨‍🔬🌳
🍜🍜🍜 - Don't Heat Your Naphtha, Heat Your Soup! - 🍜🍜🍜
✴✴✴ - White Spice vs Yellow Spice - 🌟🌟🌟
"You are an explorer, and you represent our species, and the greatest good you can do is to bring back a new idea, because our world is endangered by the absence of good ideas. Our world is in crisis because of the absence of consciousness." - Terence McKenna
🙌 "Dang, that's really impressive for a first extraction. Those xtals are nicely resolved." - Benzyme 🙌

Hailstorm
#3 Posted : 1/30/2023 9:09:28 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Chemical expert

Bestine is not pure n-Heptane but rather a collection of heptane isomers, like 2-methylhexane. You can see that by distilling it: there will be fractions that boil substantially below 98.38 °C. That has no implications on DMT extraction, and I would not recommend isolating n-Heptane just for that purpose.