We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
I tonya Options

dragonrider
#1 Posted : 1/15/2023 8:44:57 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Yesterday i saw "i tonya". And i think it's one of the best movies i've ever seen.

It's about the iceskater tonya harding and for those of you for who that doesn't ring any bell: somewhere in the 90's the skater nancy carrigan was attacked with a bat, injuring her knee. It turned out that the husband of tonya harding was behind this attack and it became a big scandal, making headlines worldwide. Whether tonya herself knew about the attack was never realy cleared up.

The movie deals with this ambiguity by telling the story about tonya hardings life from the different perspectives of various people involved and having them commenting about the events, breaking the third wall.

This movie is insane. Sometimes it is a very serious drama and then it suddenly changes to total slapstick, and it is absolutely convincing at both. There where moments i almost bursted into tears and then half a minute later i was laughing my ass off.

The acting in this movie is amazing. I would say that almost everyone in it should have gotten an oscar for what they did there. Tonya is played by margot robbie and saying she totally nailed it would be an understatement.

Realy everything about this movie is brilliant. I think the last time i was realy this impressed by something cinematic was after watching the harry potter movies. (And that should say something because some people might wrongfully believe that harry potter is just superficial entertainment for childeren. But i know that most nexians usually look a little deeper and therefore probably realise that the harry potter movies where never about magic).

Go see this movie. You won't regret it.

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

null24
#2 Posted : 1/15/2023 11:45:05 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Welcoming committeeModerator

Tonya is a Portland hometown hero!
Quote:
Sometimes it is a very serious drama and then it suddenly changes to total slapstick, and it is absolutely convincing at both. There where moments i almost bursted into tears and then half a minute later i was laughing my ass off.

from what I know of her life at the time, this may be a fairly accurate representation? I'll have to see if I can stream it.

Basing it off your HP admiration gives me pause though. Those movies are awful! Sorry, not sorry.Rolling eyes
Sine experientia nihil sufficienter sciri potest -Roger Bacon
*γνῶθι σεαυτόν*

dragonrider
#3 Posted : 1/16/2023 8:36:35 PM

DMT-Nexus member

null24 wrote:
Tonya is a Portland hometown hero!
Quote:
Sometimes it is a very serious drama and then it suddenly changes to total slapstick, and it is absolutely convincing at both. There where moments i almost bursted into tears and then half a minute later i was laughing my ass off.

from what I know of her life at the time, this may be a fairly accurate representation? I'll have to see if I can stream it.

Basing it off your HP admiration gives me pause though. Those movies are awful! Sorry, not sorry.Rolling eyes

Well, it's OK if you don't like HP.

I personally just happen to find them great works of art. Especially the later ones.
The way i see it, but maybe that is just my interpretation of them, these movies are not what they seem to be at all. On the surface they seem to be cheesy movies about magic. But beneath that shiny surface, they are realy about pain. Pain, loneliness, fear and death, and the inevitability of those things.

And it's that contrast between what they seem to be saying and what i think they actually say, that i like about them. I like it when things in popular culture that everybody thinks are just funny entertainment have hidden meanings that are dead serious.

Like a spoonfull of sugar....