We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Stopper or No Stopper for Flask & N-Heptane Options

Toshido
#1 Posted : 1/5/2023 7:09:50 PM

Research & Development

I found this 2 yr old thread here, and instead of bumping it will just reference it here.

https://www.dmt-nexus.me...mp;m=1052317#post1052317

1) I just want to make sure this flask is fine. I would not use the included rubber stopper though.

Hailstorm in the above thread says that using a magnetic stirrer (which I have) and NO STOPPER is the best way to go. So from that, I can surmise that you would not want a cap on at anytime during the extraction process as you would be stirring and not shaking the contents of the jar.

2) OR, I could opt for this brewery stopper that has a large hole in it, allowing the solution to vent minimally.

These are the final questions I have before introducing the rough draft of my TEK and starting my first extraction, which I am not rushing in anyway. Thank you.
🌳👨‍🔬🌳 - My A/B Hot Plate TEK - 🌳👨‍🔬🌳
🍜🍜🍜 - Don't Heat Your Naphtha, Heat Your Soup! - 🍜🍜🍜
✴✴✴ - White Spice vs Yellow Spice - 🌟🌟🌟
"You are an explorer, and you represent our species, and the greatest good you can do is to bring back a new idea, because our world is endangered by the absence of good ideas. Our world is in crisis because of the absence of consciousness." - Terence McKenna
🙌 "Dang, that's really impressive for a first extraction. Those xtals are nicely resolved." - Benzyme 🙌

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

Toshido
#2 Posted : 1/8/2023 12:26:20 AM

Research & Development

widderic wrote:
I found this 2 yr old thread here, and instead of bumping it will just reference it here.

https://www.dmt-nexus.me...mp;m=1052317#post1052317

1) I just want to make sure this flask is fine. I would not use the included rubber stopper though.

Hailstorm in the above thread says that using a magnetic stirrer (which I have) and NO STOPPER is the best way to go. So from that, I can surmise that you would not want a cap on at anytime during the extraction process as you would be stirring and not shaking the contents of the jar.

2) OR, I could opt for this brewery stopper that has a large hole in it, allowing the solution to vent minimally.

These are the final questions I have before introducing the rough draft of my TEK and starting my first extraction, which I am not rushing in anyway. Thank you.

After further research I've learned that the flask is just fine for 50mg of MHRB, but a 2000ml will most likely be necessary when moving to 100-200g.

I have also learned that a cap is not necessary considering I will not be at any point turning the flask up and over to mix the solution as I will be using a hot plate and magnetic stirrer.

Mods you can delete post, or you can leave for others to search if they have a similar question when first starting their shopping lists. Thank you and I will try to be a little more patient and search the forums more. Shout out to f1 and Cosmic Lion for some helpful information in the chat.
"You are an explorer, and you represent our species, and the greatest good you can do is to bring back a new idea, because our world is endangered by the absence of good ideas. Our world is in crisis because of the absence of consciousness." - Terence McKenna
🙌 "Dang, that's really impressive for a first extraction. Those xtals are nicely resolved." - Benzyme 🙌

Toshido
#3 Posted : 1/8/2023 8:39:02 AM

Research & Development

OrangeEnergy wrote:
I was literally going to post about the same thing.
I've a 2000ml flask with a plastic screw cap, and I used this for the second pull of a tea.
I was also worried about the plastic, and so was just swirling the flask by hand to avoid any contact with the cap. Guess I'll carry on doing this.
Another question. I have my first tea sitting in a glass bottle with a cork stopper. Just done a search, and it seems cork is fine to come into contact with the soup, but will disintegrate.
I am assuming there is nothing pulled from the cork that is problematic?

There was a PTFE screw on cap for 1000ml flask I saw on Amazon but the problem is that you don't want a tight seal unless you are just doing a quick shake.

Cork I have no idea if it is safe or not but you may run the disk of it dropping into the flask if it deteriorates. Hopefully someone here can answer that question. I did read that a glass stopper is the way to go but you need to use a cooking oil like vegetable oil to coat the glass stopper so that it doesn't fuse with the flask. This is why I bought a magnetic stirrer hot plate. Such a pain! I have seen people use wash cloths to hold on the top of the flask as well but that just sounds messy to me.