We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
12NEXT
Psychedelic Induced Hyperacusis Options

goodone22
#1 Posted : 1/1/2023 4:05:38 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I am surprized why no one hasn't yet talked about Hyperacusis here.
its a scary condition that may happens with drug use and sometimes is permanent.there were a singer that after using psychedelic(don't remember which one) he got hyperacusis and then he couldn't tolerate it and committed suicide.
i want to ask you if anyone here had Hyperacusis by using DMT or Magic Mushroom?
there are ancedotal reports some say mushroom can make hyperacusis and some say it can treat it.
Report 1
Report 2
and i am surprized why no one ever told me to not use psychedelic as i have opened a therad about my depression and i have tinnitus and visual snow and i am super fortunate that i haven't yet got permanent hyperacusis.these two symptoms are usually together with hyperacusis(wikipedia).and there is high chance for me to get this illness after using psychedelic.maybe no one ever had hyperacusis here?

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

Loveall
#2 Posted : 1/1/2023 6:22:44 PM

❤️‍🔥

Chemical expertSenior Member

Wikipedia references a book about drug abuse, but after a literature search I cannot find any data linking hyperacusis to psychedelics. I wonder what kind of evidence that book cites and the title (Medical Toxicology of Drug Abuse) makes me worried about its objectivity.

And isn't the negative anecdotal report explained dy the dentist's ultrasound machine + 1 day delay?

Perhaps you have not heard about it because there is no link?

💚🌵💚 Mescaline CIELO TEK 💚🌵💚
💚🌳💚DMT salt e-juice HIELO TEK💚🌳💚
💚🍃💚 Salvinorin Chilled Acetone with IPA and Naphtha re-X TEK💚🍃💚

fink
#3 Posted : 1/1/2023 7:21:03 PM
DMT-Nexus member

goodone22 wrote:

and i am surprized why no one ever told me to not use psychedelic as i have opened a therad about my depression and i have tinnitus and visual snow and i am super fortunate that i haven't yet got permanent hyperacusis.

Hey now, be fair. I have seen multiple well intentioned nexus member suggesting that dmt might not be the right thing for you...in multiple threads.
I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

goodone22
#4 Posted : 1/1/2023 9:07:32 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Loveall wrote:
Wikipedia references a book about drug abuse, but after a literature search I cannot find any data linking hyperacusis to psychedelics. I wonder what kind of evidence that book cites and the title (Medical Toxicology of Drug Abuse) makes me worried about its objectivity.

And isn't the negative anecdotal report explained dy the dentist's ultrasound machine + 1 day delay?

i don't understand why people think its related to dentist?
he obviously wrote that dentist was before mushroom usage and before mushroom usage no hyperacusis happened.its not reasonable i think that damage delays for multiple hours later.
or maybe that loud sound messed with his mind and mushroom made it more prominent like many other subjects that mushroom make them bigger in mind.
and the link isn't rare.there are multiple famous personalities that announced publicaly they got hyperacusis after psychedelic use.(link)
fink wrote:

Hey now, be fair. I have seen multiple well intentioned nexus member suggesting that dmt might not be the right thing for you...in multiple threads.

IKR but i was talking specifically about hyperacusis.they didn't tell me there is a chance for this damage after psychedelic use.although i have heard about this illness before i came to this forum but i anticipate from members to care about these dangerous aftermaths.

acacian
#5 Posted : 1/1/2023 9:26:23 PM

DMT-Nexus member

goodone22 wrote:

IKR but i was talking specifically about hyperacusis.they didn't tell me there is a chance for this damage after psychedelic use.although i have heard about this illness before i came to this forum but i anticipate from members to care about these dangerous aftermaths.

probably because they weren't aware of any link.. I've not met or heard of anyone getting it after using psychedelics. This is kind of an unfair thing to say.. just because a lot of us haven't heard of it does not imply that we are not sensitive to the various risks involved in taking psychedelics and the precautions that should be taken. There is a tone to your posts that all of the burden is on us to be informing you of these things.

One of the most emphasized things on the forum is safety.. I'd say that sets it apart from a lot of other forums.

I'll say this.. Psychedelics have been generally found to be safe when used with the appropriate attention to set and setting in people of good mental and physical health. Of course there are unique cases.. there's no we way can predict what is going to happen to you. Thats part of the letting go to the experience.. you might find something beautiful in there. Or you might not. I would however predict that if you use them in your current state of mind you might be in for a rough time.. you dont want to be assessing every single thing they make you feel.. thats asking for an unpleasant experience.

I would start by instead of using the subtractive approach of why not to take psychedelics.. flip it around and ask yourself why you should take them. If the answer you hit isn't compelling then just leave them alone.

Voidmatrix
#6 Posted : 1/1/2023 9:49:28 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Welcoming committeeModerator

goodone22 wrote:
and the link isn't rare.there are multiple famous personalities that announced publicaly they got hyperacusis after psychedelic use.

Of the notable cases, of which there are 10, 8 of those were musicians. This makes me think the the prevalence and occurrence of this phenomenon is likely related to audiation.

Quote:

The most common cause of hyperacusis is overexposure to excessively high decibel (sound pressure) levels.

I also didn't see anything that said that all of these individuals took a psychedelic before encountering said phenomenon...

You're spinning your wheels on loose ground by finding so many things to worry about, so are only digging yourself deeper and deeper into a rut. The further you get into this rut, the less likely you will be to try psychedelics again.

One love
What if the "truth" is: the "truth" is indescernible/unknowable/nonexistent? Then the closest we get is through being true to and with ourselves.

Know thyself, nothing in excess, certainty brings insanity- Delphic Maxims

DMT always has something new to show you Twisted Evil

Question everything... including questioning everything... There's so much I could be wrong about and have no idea...
All posts and supposed experiences are from an imaginary interdimensional being. This being has the proclivity and compulsion for delving in depths it shouldn't. Posts should be taken with a grain of salt. 👽

MAGMA17
#7 Posted : 1/1/2023 10:24:43 PM

DMT-Nexus member

There is a chance that a meteorite will fall on the place where you are lying during use. I warned you!

It's not mandatory in life to use these substances. If you want to change your life only you can do it. Don't delegate it to someone or something, thinking that there is some magic formula that will lead you to the "truth".

Loveall
#8 Posted : 1/1/2023 11:11:21 PM

❤️‍🔥

goodone22 wrote:
Loveall wrote:

i don't understand why people think its related to dentist?
he obviously wrote that dentist was before mushroom usage and before mushroom usage no hyperacusis happened.its not reasonable i think that damage delays for multiple hours later.
or maybe that loud sound messed with his mind and mushroom made it more prominent like many other subjects that mushroom make them bigger in mind.
and the link isn't rare.there are multiple famous personalities that announced publicaly they got hyperacusis after psychedelic use.(link)
fink wrote:

In the thread they say that noise damage is not always immediate and can take a day to appear. The author appears to understand and agree. It was after all a very loud ultrasonic apparatus vibrating near the ear canal. Noise damage and delayed noise damage are a well documented causes for hyperacusis.

I followed the link you posted about celebrities /psychedelics/hyperacusis (see quote below). There are zero examples of celebrities saying that their hyperacusis was related to psychedelics (unless I missed something). Instead, notice that many are musicians who are at risk of noise damage.

I also searched the scienctiifc literate with no hits (I may have missed something though). The only mention is that book referenced in Wikipedia which I can't download.

I see no clear evidence of a link. Perhaps that claim in Wikipedia should be challenged due to lack of published papers (or alternatively add a peer reviewed paper from a credible journal instead of a book).

I'm personally not worried about it from what I can see. I'm more worried about the loud concerts I've been to and tinitus which is very common to appear as we age. But that is just my opinion. If you are concerned that's perfectly fine and you should simply stay away from psychedelics. Each adult can make their own decision.

Quote:
Musician Jason DiEmilio, who recorded under the name Azusa Plane, had hyperacusis and ultimately went on to commit suicide due in part to his sensitivity to noise.[43]
Musician Stephin Merritt has monaural hyperacusis in his left ear, which influences the instrumentation of his band, The Magnetic Fields, leads him to wear earplugs during performances and to cover his affected ear during audience applause.[44]
Musician Laura Ballance of Superchunk has hyperacusis and no longer tours with the band.[45]
American politician, activist, and film producer Michael Huffington has mild hyperacusis and underwent sound therapy after finding that running tap water caused ear pain.[46]
Vladimir Lenin, the Russian communist revolutionary, politician, and political theorist, was reported seriously ill by the latter half of 1921, having hyperacusis and symptoms such as regular headache and insomnia.[47]
Musician Chris Singleton had hyperacusis, but made a full recovery.[48][49]
Musician Peter Silberman of The Antlers had hyperacusis and tinnitus which put his musical career on hold, until the conditions reduced down to a "manageable level".[50] He has now resumed his musical career.
Voice actor Liam O'Brien has hyperacusis, and was insomniac as a consequence.[51]
In April 2021, Internet personality, singer-songwriter and voice actor Tay Zonday stated that he has "debilitating autistic hyperacusis".[52]
Noelle Foley developed hyperacusis after getting a concussion and neck injury on a roller coaster.[53]

Mister_Niles
#9 Posted : 1/1/2023 11:16:59 PM

DMT-Nexus member

goodone22 wrote:
I am surprized why no one hasn't yet talked about Hyperacusis here.
its a scary condition that usually happens with LSD and sometimes is permanent.there were a singer that after using psychedelic(don't remember which one) he got hyperacusis and then he couldn't tolerate it and committed suicide.
i want to ask you if anyone here had Hyperacusis by using DMT or Magic Mushroom?
there are ancedotal reports some say mushroom can make hyperacusis and some say it can treat it.
Report 1
Report 2
and i am surprized why no one ever told me to not use psychedelic as i have opened a therad about my depression and i have tinnitus and visual snow and i am super fortunate that i haven't yet got permanent hyperacusis.these two symptoms are usually together with hyperacusis(wikipedia).and there is high chance for me to get this illness after using psychedelic.maybe no one ever had hyperacusis here?

Have you noticed that all of your posts are about how afraid you are of psychedelics? You seem to be looking for a reason not to take them.
I have a suggestion. Collect all of your recent posts and read them as if they were posted by someone else. Consider what advice you would give them.
I've only been back on the forum for a week or two and you have convinced me that you should not take psychedelics. It sounds like you are looking for advice. Several people have now given you similar advice to mine.
That may eventually change. You'll know if and when you're ready. Psychedelics aren't for everyone. You may never be ready. That's okay. There are many mysteries to explore in this world. There are also practices such as holotropic breathing that has some of the effects and benefits of psychedelics without using drugs. Check it out.
Welcome Home Mister_Niles. We've Been Waiting For You.

"Don't worry. When it happens, you won't be able to not let it do its thing. You won't have the ability to distinguish a pen from a hippopotamus"
- Art Van D'lay

dragonrider
#10 Posted : 1/2/2023 12:58:50 PM

DMT-Nexus member

You seem to be realy stuck in some sort of dilemma, considering whether to take psychedelics or not.

At this point i don't think any of us could help you solve this inner conflict. You have all the information about psychedelics at your disposal here. But the decission is up to you.

I think you've been given all the advice you need. Continuing this path will probably only result in people repeating the same advices over and over.

goodone22
#11 Posted : 1/2/2023 1:48:16 PM

DMT-Nexus member

to anyone who thinks i behaved unfair,could you still say this if i had hyperacusis just because no one told me here?
it is a very irritating condition,i hope everyone understand how much pain i could get from it.intensity of my complain is related to the pain i could have now.
i remember you magma17 you told me not to do but still didn't said anything about hyperacusis.
but from all posts here,what Mister_Niles said here,hit me.
i understand how afraid i look like.i haven't even asked half of my worries yet.i thought maybe i can resolve all(or most) of my worries here by giving me advices before starting to use.

about delayed damage i just found 1 scientific article and it says they experimented on rats they found out only little rats under 18 months got persistent damage.
i couldn't find any other article and this subject isn't something to easily assess and it needs a controlled condition because there are many reasons affecting the result when there is a delay between problem maker and diagnosis.

to maintain thread subject unchanged,i should thank voidmatrix and loveall for accurate responses.
i searched scientific articles before starting this thread and found nothing like you.
this may be related to illegality of psychedelic drugs for scientific studies.and it is a rare condition so its not weird to not see many results.
when there isn't much scientific articles about something then it will be hard to conclude in a document based way.
i myself i am a drug user and i like to defend them and fortunately there are some mixed results some people say their hearing problems not only worsened but even got cured after psychedelic use.
i myself got tinnitus after mdma use so i think its not strange for me to see this story repeated with another illegal drug.
hearing problems are a known side effect of many medications.for example lamotrigine(temporary hyperacusis) and gabapentine(temporary sound change) i experienced them on my own.so it is possible for illegal drugs to make such reactions.
fortunately most people on tinnitustalk say positive reactions of psychedelic drugs(link)
but there are some others
a guy on reddit says:

I was a heavy psychedelic user before T/H. I've mushrooms them twice since then in moderate/low doses. Definitely spiked my tinnitus and exaggerated any physical discomfort in the ears.
For those of you unfamiliar with psychedelics, they make you uncomfortably aware of the organic & decomposable reality of your own body. Doing them with a condition like this is a HIGH risk trip, especially if your mind is in a bad place.

this association has somehow linked hearing problems of psychedelics to the hallucinations they make.

there is a singer who was a psychedelic song maker named azusa plane and committed suicide.there is possibility that he didn't ever use any drug but it is a low possibility i think.i have heard this stuff before don't know if it was the same guy or another.
bad result

overall seems like i was wrong about how high possibility it has after psychedelic use.but still considering my symptoms i maybe the weak one who is prone to this illness.

dragonrider
#12 Posted : 1/2/2023 2:05:18 PM

DMT-Nexus member

goodone22 wrote:
to anyone who thinks i behaved unfair,could you still say this if i had hyperacusis just because no one told me here?
it is a very irritating condition,i hope everyone understand how much pain i could get from it.intensity of my complain is related to the pain i could have now.
i remember you magma17 you told me not to do but still didn't said anything about hyperacusis.
but from all posts here,what Mister_Niles said here,hit me.
i understand how afraid i look like.i haven't even asked half of my worries yet.i thought maybe i can resolve all(or most) of my worries here by giving me advices before starting to use.

to maintain thread subject unchanged,i should thank voidmatrix and loveall for accurate responses.
i searched scientific articles before starting this thread and found nothing like you.
this may be related to illegality of psychedelic drugs for scientific studies.and it is a rare condition so its not weird to not see many results.
when there isn't much scientific articles about something then it will be hard to conclude in a document based way.
i myself i am a drug user and i like to defend them and fortunately there are some mixed results some people say their hearing problems not only worsened but even got cured after psychedelic use.
i myself got tinnitus after mdma use so i think its not strange for me to see this story repeated with another illegal drug.
hearing problems are a known side effect of many medications.for example lamotrigine(temporary hyperacusis) and gabapentine(temporary sound change) i experienced them on my own.so it is possible for illegal drugs to make such reactions.
fortunately most people on tinnitustalk say positive reactions of psychedelic drugs(link)
but there are some others
a guy on reddit says:

I was a heavy psychedelic user before T/H. I've mushrooms them twice since then in moderate/low doses. Definitely spiked my tinnitus and exaggerated any physical discomfort in the ears.
For those of you unfamiliar with psychedelics, they make you uncomfortably aware of the organic & decomposable reality of your own body. Doing them with a condition like this is a HIGH risk trip, especially if your mind is in a bad place.

this association has somehow linked hearing problems of psychedelics to the hallucinations they make.

there is a singer who was a psychedelic song maker named azusa plane and committed suicide.there is possibility that he didn't ever use any drug but it is a low possibility i think.i have heard this stuff before don't know if it was the same guy or another.
bad result

overall seems like i was wrong about how high possibility it has after psychedelic use.but still considering my symptoms i maybe the weak one who is prone to this illness.

Then just don't take psychedelics. It's that simple.

My advice: Get on with your life and simply walk away from it.
Don't keep making these posts about realy rare conditions till the end of time.

You're going round in circles endlessly. Just stop doing that.

Loveall
#13 Posted : 1/2/2023 2:13:32 PM

❤️‍🔥

You can look at healing herbs for hearing issues. There are several threads on the topic here.

From what I remember, things that have helped people:

- Mindfulness and state of mind: accepting the tinitus/distortions. Some even learn to enjoy them 👍. Embrace the anxiety so much you flip it upside down. I believe one can learn to see the tinitus ring as a gentle call to calmness and a present mind 😊
- Herbs that promote good circulation and are anti-inflammatory such as ginko biloba. It would be worth researching others if you haven't already.
- A varied diet full of different plants (feeds the gut biota with a cascade of positive effects, including lower inflammation)
- Exercise. Including yoga, ohms (another ring 😊Pleased, time in nature.

If think that if I were in your situation I would focus on long term healing/well being and set psychedelics aside.

Fridge
#14 Posted : 1/2/2023 2:20:20 PM

DMT-Nexus member

goodone22 wrote:

Do you think we're all conspiring to not tell you about hyperacusis? Isn't it more likely that none of us have heard about it, because it's a very rare thing.

Doing psychedelics is your own decision and your own responsibility. You cannot send others on a guilt trip for your own actions.
It's good to be cautious, but one can overdo it.

To me it seems like you and psychedelics aren't a good match, but it's ultimately up to you which path to choose.
...no need to worry...

downwardsfromzero
#15 Posted : 1/2/2023 3:57:02 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

goodone22 - we've already shared our views and the choice is only yours. What is it that you're really looking for? Someone who says, "Yeah dood, just go for it. Trippin' bawlz is like kewl." Then when you've been swallowed by a cosmic octupus and decide to identify as a china teapot you'll come back and blame us for not mentioning the cephalopods and the crockery issues?

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

Voidmatrix
#16 Posted : 1/2/2023 4:07:16 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Welcoming committeeModerator

One thing I'd like to add for you, goodone22, is that if you're looking for something in all of this information, then you'll find it. That is, if you are looking hard enough for something to worry about you will certainly find it.

I think it may benefit you to step outside of each specific worry and look at the overall stance of worry you are ruminating in. It may help you to drop many of your concerns.

Also, tinnitus tends to become more prevalent and constant the more you focus on it.

One love
What if the "truth" is: the "truth" is indescernible/unknowable/nonexistent? Then the closest we get is through being true to and with ourselves.

Know thyself, nothing in excess, certainty brings insanity- Delphic Maxims

DMT always has something new to show you Twisted Evil

Question everything... including questioning everything... There's so much I could be wrong about and have no idea...
All posts and supposed experiences are from an imaginary interdimensional being. This being has the proclivity and compulsion for delving in depths it shouldn't. Posts should be taken with a grain of salt. 👽

Bill Cipher
#17 Posted : 1/2/2023 7:08:28 PM

DMT-Nexus member

goodone22 wrote:
i am surprized why no one ever told me to not use psychedelic as i have opened a therad about my depression and i have tinnitus and visual snow and i am super fortunate that i haven't yet got permanent hyperacusis.these two symptoms are usually together with hyperacusis(wikipedia).and there is high chance for me to get this illness after using psychedelic.maybe no one ever had hyperacusis here?

Almost everyone who has interacted with you has told you not to use psychedelics, but if you need to hear it one more time...

DO NOT USE PSYCHEDELICS. It seems abundantly clear that they are not for you.

Or do, if that's what you choose. But either way, make up your own mind. Stop trying to lay off the responsibility of your decision on others. It's super annoying and only makes for endless circular discussions.

fink
#18 Posted : 1/2/2023 7:10:16 PM
DMT-Nexus member

I often go to sleep listening to a talk or lecture because it drowns out my two tone tinnitus. I have a high tone and a separate low tone in my right side and just the high tone on the left. They have gradually become my friends over the years. The sound of silence, to quote Simon and Garfunkel

downwardsfromzero
#19 Posted : 1/2/2023 11:55:18 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

fink wrote:
I often go to sleep listening to a talk or lecture [...]

Reminds me of my uni days Laughing

I've had tinnitus since well before trying any psychedelic substance. It's very likely due to playing in a jazz orchestra - although I do have some suspicions about orthodentistry as well.

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

fink
#20 Posted : 1/3/2023 12:17:08 AM
DMT-Nexus member

downwardsfromzero wrote:
fink wrote:
I often go to sleep listening to a talk or lecture [...]

Reminds me of my uni days Laughing

I've had tinnitus since well before trying any psychedelic substance. It's very likely due to playing in a jazz orchestra - although I do have some suspicions about orthodentistry as well.

Mine was definitely working a chainsaw without ear defenders for 15 years, then change of career involving many hours in aircraft and definitely a fair portion was the loud bass and Mitsubishi blues back in the 90s. No one to blame but myself.

12NEXT