We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Hydrogen Production - electrolysis Options

Cheeto
#1 Posted : 2/19/2010 2:39:04 AM
DMT-Nexus member

I've got a really good idea for a very efficent electrolysis device, but before i spend too much time on it, how could i go about testing efficiency? And if i can achieve 80% or a little better, would it be better than Fossil fuel reforming(65% to 75% efficiency)?

In my idea, i would really be producing pure oxygen and hydrogen, not mixed, but also not compressed to a gas. My device would simply split the water molecules and send the gas were ever, someone else's device would come in to compress the separate gasses to a liquid.

If not the best route for hydrogen and oxygen production even at 80% efficiency, would it be worth it just to design an electrolysis device at this efficiency? Worth it as in selling wise, to put on the market?
They say that shit floats, but mine sinks....why?? I guess i'm just into some heavy shit!

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

benzyme
#2 Posted : 2/19/2010 2:44:55 AM

analytical chemist

Moderator | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertExtreme Chemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertChemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertSenior Member | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expert

Brownlee Electrolysis Apparatus
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted." ~ hassan i sabbah
"Experiments are the only means of attaining knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." -Max Planck

Cheeto
#3 Posted : 2/19/2010 3:00:55 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Hmmm, by design, it think mine would be alot more efficent....from what i could see. Mine would also not have an electrolyte, you can't use an electrolyte and still produce Oxygen and Hydrogen can you? And of course, using it for just electrolysis would allow for an electrolyte which would boost efficiency.

I couldn't find what efficiency it can split pure water at...wouldn't happen to know would ya?
They say that shit floats, but mine sinks....why?? I guess i'm just into some heavy shit!

benzyme
#4 Posted : 2/19/2010 3:40:17 AM

analytical chemist

Moderator | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertExtreme Chemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertChemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertSenior Member | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expert

off the top of my head, no

electrolysis efficiency plummets without electrolytes, like a hydrogenation reaction without a catalyst.
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted." ~ hassan i sabbah
"Experiments are the only means of attaining knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." -Max Planck