We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Naphta splashed in my eye Options

corridors of my cells
#1 Posted : 9/29/2009 12:26:06 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Hi, while making sodium carbonate wash i splashed naphta in my eye today. Does anyone know what kinda harms it may have to eye?

It happened so sudden i was opening the lid of a plastic bottle i was using as seperatory funnel, like the ones which have a sucking thingie on them, then it stuck and then splashed sme naphta in my eye. It doesnt burn now but feels a bit disturbing like my eye is dry kinda feeling. I washed it with water. Any other advices about it? any eye drop recommendations or something? I will appriciate your help.. Thanks

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

endlessness
#2 Posted : 9/29/2009 12:35:58 PM

DMT-Nexus member

jeeeeez, please wear safety goggles, people!!!! No amount of experience is enough to stop taking safety precautions! Eye protection, gloves, mask.. It doesnt cost you basically anything, and can prevent situations like this, or much worse ones..

Sorry I have no idea what to do... I would definitely keep washing it for long, and then drop a bit of physiological solution (you know, those dilute water+salt solutions) in the eyes...

Hope you are fine!

corridors of my cells
#3 Posted : 9/29/2009 12:38:24 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I see .. thanks... I always wear them ... but first time i was doing carbonate wash and i didnt think something such stupid may happen.. damn... its another experience but yea i better wash it some more. :S

corridors of my cells
#4 Posted : 9/29/2009 12:46:47 PM

DMT-Nexus member

i dropped Gentagut and put teramicine now it feels better. at least not that dry.

PerPLexED
#5 Posted : 9/29/2009 8:00:24 PM
DMT-Nexus member

The main danger is lye in the eye *Shiver* yes, when working around these things, always always always put your equipment WHEN ENTERING THE ROOM. There is nothing cool about being blind.
"We are the analogies we believe." - PerPLexED

PerPLexED is a confused fictional creature.
He doesn't know that he is fictional.
He doesn't know what fiction is.
He doesn't know anything, really.
But strives to know it all.

mumbles
#6 Posted : 12/7/2009 2:19:03 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Sweet jesus even if you half ass everything else ALWAYS COVER YOUR EYES. You will feel like a complete retard after being blinded out of lazyness.

w0mbat
#7 Posted : 12/7/2009 4:07:30 AM

DMT-Nexus member

how is the eye now corridors? did you wind up seeing a doctor for it?
benzyme wrote:

i'm tellin ya, one day i'll interface a mass spec and uv-vis spectrophotometer to a modular synthesizer

psychosisdoses
#8 Posted : 12/7/2009 8:40:26 AM

Derek

i do not own goggles
"once youve locked yourself into a serious drug collection the tendency is to push it as far as you can..." - hunter s. thompson

~~~~~~~~...You are me and i am you, i will always be with you...~~~~~~~~IAmUsWeYouMe~~~~~~~~
‹maxzar100› YOU are like acid
‹mattimus› dosesdosingdoses

mumbles
#9 Posted : 12/7/2009 9:56:40 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Then buy some. $5. See this is where darwin comes into play and the gene pool is cleaned. For the love of god buy goggles people its so basic a requirement.

69ron
#10 Posted : 12/7/2009 10:11:07 AM

DMT-Nexus member

If you splash lye on your eye you could go blind. It has happened to many people. If you're going to use unhealthy solvents, acids, bases, etc., you have to wear protection.

This is one reason SWIM prefers NOT to use lye or other dangerous chemicals. Accidents do happen, even to the most careful professionals.

Remember the Chernobyl meltdown? The guys running that nuclear plant were professionals. Accidents happen, usually when you least except them.
You may remember me as 69Ron. I was suspended years ago for selling bunk products under false pretenses. I try to sneak back from time to time under different names, but unfortunately, the moderators of the DMT-Nexus are infinitely smarter than I am.

If you see me at the waterpark, please say hello. I'll be the delusional 50 something in the American flag Speedo, oiling up his monster guns while responding to imaginary requests for selfies from invisible teenage girls.

darkstate
#11 Posted : 12/7/2009 5:22:08 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Naptha on it's own should easily be washed as per the MSDS Naptha MSDS but as 69ron said, perhaps its the NaOH that's more worrying!

NaOH MSDS

Check out the eye care section

"Check for and remove any contact lenses. In case of contact, immediately flush eyes with plenty of water for at
least 15 minutes. Cold water may be used. Get medical attention immediately."

We could do with an authoritative library of relevant MSDS's here.
"In chemistry, not quite right means out and out wrong" - Alexander Shulgin

Touche Guevara
#12 Posted : 12/7/2009 5:34:08 PM
DMT-Nexus member

mumbles wrote:
Then buy some. $5. See this is where darwin comes into play and the gene pool is cleaned. For the love of god buy goggles people its so basic a requirement.

Seriously. Maybe this is how some people here can get around their disdain for money. Trade spice for safety equipment.

Spock's Brain
#13 Posted : 12/7/2009 8:06:55 PM

DMT-Nexus member

naptha in the eye is not even close to an emergency, just rinse for a few minutes.

LYE SOLUTION IN EYES IS AN EMERGENCY THOUGH!!!! ALWAYS WEAR GOGGLES WITH STRONG BASES (OR ACIDS)!!!!!
"Infinite Diversity, in Infinite Combinations."

shoe
#14 Posted : 12/7/2009 11:23:46 PM

DMT-Nexus member

69ron wrote:
If you splash lye on your eye you could go blind. It has happened to many people. If you're going to use unhealthy solvents, acids, bases, etc., you have to wear protection.

This is one reason SWIM prefers NOT to use lye or other dangerous chemicals. Accidents do happen, even to the most careful professionals.

Remember the Chernobyl meltdown? The guys running that nuclear plant were professionals. Accidents happen, usually when you least except them.

My generation are the ones who were born in the year the fallout was blown over europe and over the UK. Radioactivity levels were the highest they'd ever been that year.

yay, slightly increased chance of having an advantageous mutation! yay!
shoe

ॐ भूर्भुव: स्व: तत्सवितुर्वरेण्यं । भर्गो देवस्य धीमहि, धीयो यो न: प्रचोदयात्
Love, Gratittude, Compassion, Fearlessness!

Nime
#15 Posted : 2/5/2010 9:11:19 AM
DMT-Nexus member

This is a good thread... It encouraged me to even take more precautions than i usually do... It just instilled some more fear in me for some reason...

Improvised Labware Vapor Bubbler (continued)

I would like to make it be known that I do not actually put what I write on this website or any place into practice in the real world. I like to live a life of fantasy on the internet where I ask questions and give answers.

biohazard72
#16 Posted : 2/5/2010 5:41:39 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Yeah man. Anytime in the process using concentrated HCl or NaOH, gotta wear goggles. That means during measurement prior to acid soaks and while basifying/pulling. I also make sure anybody present knows what I'm doing and to stay out of that room for that reason.

jacetea
#17 Posted : 2/5/2010 7:08:03 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Nime wrote:
This is a good thread... It encouraged me to even take more precautions than i usually do... It just instilled some more fear in me for some reason...

Hehe, your avatar goes well with this thread.
We're the new hippies, we get high on life, not drugs.
We thrive in drama, and bathe in activeness.
Fashion is a religion and vocabulary defines you.

Politicians load the gun, and celebrities fire it, killing all humankind.

dtabbler
#18 Posted : 2/18/2010 6:27:17 PM

DMT-Nexus member

the whole going blind thing makes me wonder, what do blind people see when smoking dmt? time to go find an unsuspecting blind person and lace a cigarette!

but yes, wear goggles. and always have an eyewash handy, they are also cheap you can buy a large bottle for a few dollars
Who's this SWIM person and when do I get to meet them? They sound friken cool!