We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Is Opera GX's VPN reliable? Options

Nydex
#1 Posted : 11/12/2022 7:23:08 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Hey nex, been a while since my name popped up down below. Definitely feels good to be back though. Like coming home after a particularly long and difficult journey that I will try to summarize in a somewhat pleasant to read form in an upcoming post. It definitely contains an important lesson that I had to learn the hard way unfortunately.

Back on track - those of you that happen to be using Opera GX as their preferred browser know that there is a built-in VPN in the browser that you can activate with a single click.

The question at hand is how reliable is this VPN. Is it a secure feature? I can see that my IP changes to a different country when I activate it, and it seems to always pick a nearby country in Europe so as to not cause too much latency in the connection.

However, I'm very uninformed on the topic of VPNs and networks in general, and I was wondering if I can trust this VPN, or I should go for a dedicated VPN service like ExpressVPN or the extensively marketed NordVPN.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Love & Light Love
TRUST

LET GO

BE OPEN

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

dreamer042
#2 Posted : 11/12/2022 7:42:39 PM

Dreamoar

Moderator | Skills: Mostly harmless

According to their privacy policy, they don't keep any logs.

Quote:
When you use our free, built-in browser VPN service, we do not log any personal data or other information related to your browsing activity or originating network address. As long as the browser VPN is active, all traffic in the browser is encrypted using strong industry standard encryption.
Row, row, row your boat, Gently down the stream. Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily...

Visual diagram for the administration of dimethyltryptamine

Visual diagram for the administration of ayahuasca

braindrops
#3 Posted : 11/14/2022 3:18:25 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Never personally used the Opera Browser's VPN, but after looking into it I saw this article saying "...Opera has been known to sell its user data to advertisers for a profit."

I've used Proton VPN (As well as their great email service). If you only need a VPN on one device, maybe check out their free service. Been a while since I used it, but it worked well for me. And if you are looking for a new email service, check out Proton Mail.

Been a long time since I used Nord, but I know people who currently do and they have no complaints.

I'm currently using Private Internet Access, which is paid, but working very well for me. PIA has a lot of great features, such as preventing traffic from bypassing the VPN, automation, a bunch of protocol settings, blocking domains used for ads and tracking, and a bunch of others.