We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
A gold(I)-catalysed approach towards harmalidine an elusive alkaloid from Peganum harmala Options

murklan
#1 Posted : 11/8/2022 10:37:25 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Getting closer to alchemy?

A gold(I)-catalysed approach towards harmalidine an elusive alkaloid from Peganum harmala

But the process seems really complicated and I don't even know if the molecules are in any way psychoactive. Just didn't know gold was used in catalyzing.

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

downwardsfromzero
#2 Posted : 11/8/2022 9:54:20 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

Interesting, but neither accessible nor relevant to the average harmala enthusiast!

The gold has phosphine ligands, the starting material is an alkynyl azetidine, and it's not clear what the harmalidine would be useful for.
Quote:
Gold-catalysed rearrangement: from N-3-methoxyphenyl alk-1-ynyldimethylazetidine C to pyrrolo[1,2-a]indole B

With these azetidines in hand, the gold-catalysed rearrangement was studied. Under our precedent optimized conditions,16 the expected 2,3-dihydropyrrolo[1,2-a]indoles were readily obtained but in modest yields due to some degradation. A brief condition screening revealed that 2-biphenyldicyclohexylphosphino-gold(I) hexafluoroantimonate was still the best catalyst but 1,2-dichloroethane (DCE) turned out to be better as solvent, while refluxing minimized degradation due to short reaction times.

Condensation of an alkyne with a substituted aniline is a common strategy in indole synthesis.

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

murklan
#3 Posted : 11/8/2022 11:48:32 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I don't understand any of it, but the field of chemistry is certainly interesting. And with a language for all those processes.

I've seen somewhere how the amount of man-made chemicals has increased enormously the last 120 years. That is magic, for good and bad I think.

downwardsfromzero
#4 Posted : 11/9/2022 7:03:20 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

If it's alchemy you want, stuff like Wilkinson's catalyst and its palladium and iridium analogues are also verging on magical.

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli