We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
«PREV345
Current project(s) - the mathematical side of doodling Options

downwardsfromzero
#81 Posted : 11/6/2022 6:03:55 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

Here's a little 12×12 labyrinth as a treat!
downwardsfromzero attached the following image(s):
12×12 Labyrinth 1fancy.jpg (32kb) downloaded 113 time(s).

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

downwardsfromzero
#82 Posted : 1/16/2023 10:30:43 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

Something maybe worthy of note with regards to the number of archetypes in the 6×6 group is that 149 = 6²+7²+8²
It has a certain beauty to it, but does it tell us anything about generalisations?

I'll need to take another look at HT's results for the other series and have a good think about it.

Any other ideas out there?

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."

downwardsfromzero
#83 Posted : 1/18/2023 8:38:19 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

Halfway through redrawing one of the pixel-sketched 6×6 glyphs with the multi-coloured stripes here:
glyph6×6in5halfway.png (2kb) downloaded 93 time(s).
glyph_6×6_in_5_halfway.png (2kb) downloaded 91 time(s).
glyph_6×6_in_5_nearlythere.png (2kb) downloaded 89 time(s).

downwardsfromzero
#84 Posted : 1/18/2023 9:24:46 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

Finished product, with and without construction grids:
glyph_6×6_in_5_yesgrids.png (2kb) downloaded 88 time(s).
glyph_6×6_in_5_nogrids.png (2kb) downloaded 87 time(s).

downwardsfromzero
#85 Posted : 1/20/2023 10:42:35 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

downwardsfromzero wrote:
ShadedSelf wrote:
There are simple algos to tile an infinite plane with infinite closed loops, reminds me a bit to this.

In this case I guess you could just bruteforce it, there are 6^36 possibilities.
Recursion might be a better angle, since you skip any possibility where cells dont connect, kinda like HT suggests, you just keep going until a closed loop happens or cant continue, if the closed loop is exactly 36 cells long its a winner.

Thanks for the link! I would like to use something similar to generate a continuous stream or flowing sheet of random glyphs instead of the hexagonal mazes. This will help develop the animation end of the idea. The glyphs could easily be made to fit an isometric grid which would mean the hexagonal grid would still be useful.

Well, as it turns out, I did my first sketch of a 'hexaglyph'...

It's a bit crappy, squares are far easier.
hexaglyph 1.png (7kb) downloaded 77 time(s).

Homo Trypens
#86 Posted : 1/21/2023 12:53:04 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Welcoming committeeSenior Member

Whoa, that thing looks awesome though!

downwardsfromzero
#87 Posted : 1/21/2023 1:14:50 AM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

Homo Trypens wrote:
Whoa, that thing looks awesome though!

Thanks, it was just a rapid sketch. Next I'll try some higher res stuff, improve accuracy, devise templates etc.

Fingers x'd on the animation too!

downwardsfromzero
#88 Posted : 1/22/2023 12:43:08 AM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

Things quite glyphy in places in this thread too - and it's an important bit of Nexian graphic art history. Maybe the most recognisable symbol on the Nexus was born here.

Muskogee Herbman
#89 Posted : 1/22/2023 3:49:33 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I love this thread awesome work. my work often combines the mathematics of drawings so I relate to your journey a lot Smile
Creator help me live in a way that will make my ancestors proud.

downwardsfromzero
#90 Posted : 1/22/2023 10:57:03 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

Muskogee Herbman wrote:
I love this thread awesome work. my work often combines the mathematics of drawings so I relate to your journey a lot Smile

Thanks for the reply - I'm so pleased you like it!

Part way through a montage here, to represent the value of diversity over blind conformity:
Mini Glyph 025.png (1kb) downloaded 51 time(s).
Mini glyph chart 27 crop.png (28kb) downloaded 54 time(s).

downwardsfromzero
#91 Posted : 1/22/2023 11:45:28 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

Bookmarker for me - HT's glyph online library

downwardsfromzero
#92 Posted : 1/23/2023 6:51:26 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

Montage progress update - I've been enjoying this, mutating glyphs by hand by flipping and rotating different sections.
63 down, 86 to go!
Mini glyph chart 63 crop.png (55kb) downloaded 42 time(s).

downwardsfromzero
#93 Posted : 1/28/2023 10:25:15 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

Well, I've virtually finished the montage/chart - just one thing is baffling me. Having gone through the glyphs systematically several times now, I can only find 148 if I draw them manually (on paper or the computer). Homo Trypens has assured me that his generation and checking algorithm returns 149 archetypes, so I guess the next stage is to check these atchetypal glyphs from the file.

To that end, generating just the archetypes with the SVG tool would make this somewhat easier than reading of a bunch of 'Lrf...' directions. Any chance of a hand with that? I haven't succeeded in teaching myself anything about vector graphics yet...
Mini glyph chart 1 to go.png (99kb) downloaded 25 time(s).

downwardsfromzero
#94 Posted : 1/31/2023 5:02:49 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

Well, I detected the numbering problem, knuckled down and went through all the algorithm-generated glyph-pattern data. This led me to the glyph that I (of course) had been overlooking and thus could the chart be completed. I've now more-or-less learnt to read the glyph forms from their 'rfL' descriptions, which could count as a marginal arcane bonus.

The process did give me a bit of an idea about how data inputs might be used for glyph generation too. I'll get to that later, but for now here is the finished chart. Can you spot which one was the missing glyph?
Mini glyph chart full.png (98kb) downloaded 12 time(s).

«PREV345