We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
123NEXT»
No Smell, Quick and Easy, Almost Pure Bufotenine Extraction Options

OriginalFace
#1 Posted : 2/16/2010 6:26:57 PM

DMT-Nexus member

No Smell, Quick and Easy, Almost Pure Bufotenine Extraction

Goal: Obtain pure bufotenine freebase from cebil seeds.

Materials:

* 20 grams cebil seeds
* coffee grinder
* mortar and pestle can be used for manual operation
* anhydrous acetone
* prepared by adding baked epson salts to store bought acetone
* naphtha
* water
* sodium carbonate, "pH up" for swimming pool is good.
* funnel for filtering.
* coffee filter.
* cotton ball.
* mason jars, 250 ml wide mouth are ideal.
* medicine dropper, 1 ml, as used with vitamin drops or kids medicine.
* turkey baster, graduated. Used to measure naphtha.

Procedure:

1. Weigh and grind whole cebil seeds to a fine powder using coffee grinder or mortar and pestle.

2. Add about 5 grams of sodium carbonate and mix to make a uniform mixture.

3. Add water slowly, bit by bit to make a doughy paste. Cover jar and let sit for an hour to allow reaction to complete. We are making a crude bufotenine freebase at this step, which contains bufotenine along with undesired, nausea producing compounds, as well as plant oils and fats

4. If the right consistency of paste was achieved in the previous step, then the sodium carbonate will have formed its hydrated state and we will be left with a hard dry cake. An ammonia smell will be apparent, indicating that the freebasing reaction has occurred. If an excess of water was used then just leave the jar uncovered and let the water evaporate away. Heat and a fan will speed up this operation. Bufotenine is very heat tolerant and the water could safely be boiled away if you are in a hurry.

5. Grind up the hard cake then cover with anhydrous acetone. The bufotenine will dissolve in the acetone forming a yellow solution while leaving behind any unused sodium carbonate behind. Pour off the acetone solution into a collection jar and repeat the process by adding more acetone for a total of three extractions.

6. Filter the combined three acetone extractions, through a cotton ball loosely stuffed in the narrow part of a funnel, to obtain a clear yellow acetone solution of crude bufotenine freebase.

7. Add the contents of a 500 mg fumaric acid capsule directly to this solution and observe an instantaneous crashing out of bufotenine fumarate. This is a defatting step and effectively removes the plant oils and fats. Let this sit for a while to allow the reaction to complete. The bufotenine fumarate will stick to the sides and bottom of the jar and the waste acetone containing the unwanted oils can be poured off. Allow any remaining acetone to evaporate away until its odour is gone.

8. Add enough water (about 50 ml) to dissolve the bufotenine fumarate then add about a gram of sodium carbonate powder directly to this solution. Like magic a caramel coloured lump of freebase bufotenine will form. This lump should be flattened out while adding an excess of water, to allow complete penetration by the sodium carbonate. Let this reaction continue for a while to completion, then pour off the water and dry out the caramel bufotenine.

9. Completely dissolve the impure bufotenine in 5 mL of acetone then add 20 ml of naphtha ( 1 part acetone : 4 parts naphtha ). This will crash out the unwanted nausea causing compounds leaving pure bufotenine in an almost clear solution. Allow the reaction sufficient time to complete.

10. Use the medicine dropper to siphon off the clear bufotenine solution to another jar, leaving behind the nausea nasties.

11. Evaporate the solvent to obtain light tan, reasonably pure bufotenine freebase.

I want to be happy,
But I can't be happy,
'till I make you happy, too Pleased

In the province of the mind, there are no limits.

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

OriginalFace
#2 Posted : 2/16/2010 6:36:39 PM

DMT-Nexus member

So that's my new method that includes a few discoveries:

In step 7, the fumaric acid is added as a powder; as it dissolves in the acetone, it reacts with the freebase bufotenine forming bufotenine fumarate which precipitates out of solution, leaving room for more fumaric acid to dissolve.

In step 8, the powdered sodium carbonate dissolves in the water rapidly, causing the resulting bufotenine freebase oils to gather together into a clump of soft resinous material as it is pushed away from the more dense basic solution.

In step 9, a 1:4 ratio of acetone:naphtha works to clean out the nausea causing compounds. In this method, all the impure bufo is completely dissolved in acetone before adding the naphtha. When the naphtha is added, then the impurities are precipitated. This is different from the previous methods where the cosolvents are premixed before selectively dissolving the bufo, and ensures that all the bufo is extracted from the leftovers.

Disclaimer: I am not a chemist, nor do I play one on the interwebs, I did however have amazing visions and feel very rested after smoking some bufochangaVery happy

OF

I want to be happy,
But I can't be happy,

ThirdEyeVision
#3 Posted : 2/16/2010 6:55:01 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Thanks! Looks great! My friend must try this some day.
ThirdEyeVision
It's the third eye vision, five side dimension
The 8th Light, is gonna shine bright tonight

ThirdEyeVision
#4 Posted : 2/16/2010 6:56:02 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Theoretically how much bufotenine would come from 20g of seeds?
ThirdEyeVision

OriginalFace
#5 Posted : 2/16/2010 7:10:59 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I guess it would depend on the particular batch of seeds used. According to 69ron, the quality can vary widely, but at any given time, most vendors have seeds from the same source.

The 20 gram batch used in my last experiment yielded 120 mg of light tan product.

OF

I want to be happy,
But I can't be happy,

ThirdEyeVision
#6 Posted : 2/16/2010 7:34:14 PM

DMT-Nexus member

OriginalFace wrote:
I guess it would depend on the particular batch of seeds used. According to 69ron, the quality can vary widely, but at any given time, most vendors have seeds from the same source.

The 20 gram batch used in my last experiment yielded 120 mg of light tan product.

OF

What would be a theoretically good dose?
Also, I have read everywhere else Vilca seeds should be toasted to get rid of the unwanted alks that cause nausea. It can obviously be done with your tek, but is there a reason you dont toast like the rest?
ThirdEyeVision

balaganist
#7 Posted : 2/16/2010 7:53:34 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Looks like a great and straightforward tek, without the hassle of toasting, and if it does get rid of all (or most) of the toxins that is very good news.
Will try this next time some vilca/cebil/yopo seeds in...

Cheers!
balaganist is a fictional character who loves playing the game of infinite existence. he amuses himself by posting stories about his made up life in our plane of physical reality. his origins are in other dimensions... he merely comes here to play.

Infundibulum
#8 Posted : 2/16/2010 8:11:43 PM

Kalt und Heiß, Schwarz und Rot, Kürper und Geist, Liebe und Chaos

ModeratorChemical expert

This method is already known, 69ron did the same but used citric acid dissolved in acetone and Jorkest and others did the same thing using fumaric acid.

Plus, it does not give almost pure bufotenine extraction. During the salting step with fumaric acid (or citric if you may), the darker alkaloids also crash out as their fumarate salts. The end product is still an dark oily mess if performed as described and not at all pure bufotenine freebase.

Has you or SWIY actually tried this method? If the end result was pure bufotenine then you or SWIY must be very lucky to have encountered seeds that contain bufotenine only and pretty much no toxins.

For the rest of it, this tek is both a repetition of already done approaches and a fairly inefficient way to get pure bufotenine.

Need to calculate between salts and freebases? Click here!
Need to calculate freebase or salt percentage at a given pH? Click here!

ibeing897
#9 Posted : 2/16/2010 8:24:12 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Infundibulum wrote:
This method is already known, 69ron did the same but used citric acid dissolved in acetone and Jorkest and others did the same thing using fumaric acid.

Plus, it does not give almost pure bufotenine extraction. During the salting step with fumaric acid (or citric if you may), the darker alkaloids also crash out as their fumarate salts. The end product is still an dark oily mess if performed as described and not at all pure bufotenine freebase.

Has you or SWIY actually tried this method? If the end result was pure bufotenine then you or SWIY must be very lucky to have encountered seeds that contain bufotenine only and pretty much no toxins.

For the rest of it, this tek is both a repetition of already done approaches and a fairly inefficient way to get pure bufotenine.

I think OriginalFace has posted some inovations... it's a collection of existing ideas but as he points out steps 7,8,9 are useful details, that do really make a difference in time and effort, swim has done similar things can definitely vouch for the theories, gonna try them specifically but it sounds good to me, especially steps 8 & 9... it sounds quite reliable compared to toasting with variable temps/ boiling solvents / figuring out a polar/non-polar ratio..
all posts are fictional

69ron
#10 Posted : 2/16/2010 8:39:29 PM

DMT-Nexus member

OriginalFace did borrow some stuff from other techs, but this tech is still unique. At the end, the step used to purify the bufotenine is similar to the MEK:heptane step, but uses easier to find solvents, and how its performed is different.

OriginalFace, thanks for posting this tech.

I love these kinds of techs where no A/B separation step is needed.

This is one SWIM will eventually try out, but will use citric acid instead of fumaric acid.
You may remember me as 69Ron. I was suspended years ago for selling bunk products under false pretenses. I try to sneak back from time to time under different names, but unfortunately, the moderators of the DMT-Nexus are infinitely smarter than I am.

If you see me at the waterpark, please say hello. I'll be the delusional 50 something in the American flag Speedo, oiling up his monster guns while responding to imaginary requests for selfies from invisible teenage girls.

Infundibulum
#11 Posted : 2/16/2010 8:49:43 PM

ModeratorChemical expert

This is true, the tek does have innovations and is worth trying!

Apologies for the previous post, I missed the really important parts from this tek!

OriginalFace
#12 Posted : 2/16/2010 9:02:17 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Infundibulum, yes I did try this method using the same batch of seeds that I used with the toasting tek.
The toasting tek is very smelly and smells up my kitchen very much.

The salting step certainly crashes out the "nausea nasties" along with the bufo but the cosolvent algorithm removes these.
The darker alkaloids are left behind as a dark brown oily substance, they may still contain some bufotenine in small amounts.

The dark impuities crash out upon the addition of naphtha to the acetone solution, leaving a light coloured solution of reasonably pure bufo.
When smoked, this, not fully pure, bufo has minimal vasoconstrictive effects and produces vivid coloured visions after a few minutes followed by
flying sensations and vivid dream sequences (while awake).

I did borrow heavily on the combined knowledge of all those who have been reporting their experiments and only wish to contribute my
observations obtained while standing on the shoulders of giants.

In gratitude, OF

I want to be happy,
But I can't be happy,

Oncewas
#13 Posted : 2/16/2010 9:04:26 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Hell yea! Looks good and seems more sensible than the toasting and make more use of having fumaric acid.

I'm glad people are still tinkering there is still much to be discovered!

OriginalFace
#14 Posted : 2/16/2010 9:05:18 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Infun, apologies are not required, my revered friend. Smile

I want to be happy,
But I can't be happy,

69ron
#15 Posted : 2/16/2010 9:25:42 PM

DMT-Nexus member

OriginalFace, one thing I want to mention is that by using fumaric acid instead of citric acid, you ensure that any DMT or 5-MeO-DMT that might be present would still be in the final product, enhancing the experience. They could however be isolated at the end of the tech by dissolving the end product in naphtha. The bufotenine would stay undissolved while the DMT and some 5-MeO-DMT would dissolve in the naphtha. Then pour off and evaporate the naphtha and you have the DMT and 5-MeO-DMT as a separate batch of goodies.
You may remember me as 69Ron. I was suspended years ago for selling bunk products under false pretenses. I try to sneak back from time to time under different names, but unfortunately, the moderators of the DMT-Nexus are infinitely smarter than I am.

If you see me at the waterpark, please say hello. I'll be the delusional 50 something in the American flag Speedo, oiling up his monster guns while responding to imaginary requests for selfies from invisible teenage girls.

Infundibulum
#16 Posted : 2/16/2010 10:16:12 PM

ModeratorChemical expert

OriginalFace wrote:
Infun, apologies are not required, my revered friend. Smile

Well, I half-read your extraction post, was too quick to answer so I made an ass of my self!

Hence the sincere apologies, the tek did not deserve such a harsh criticism at all!

endlessness
#17 Posted : 2/16/2010 10:17:01 PM

DMT-Nexus member

69ron wrote:
OriginalFace, one thing I want to mention is that by using fumaric acid instead of citric acid, you ensure that any DMT or 5-MeO-DMT that might be present would still be in the final product, enhancing the experience. They could however be isolated at the end of the tech by dissolving the end product in naphtha. The bufotenine would stay undissolved while the DMT and some 5-MeO-DMT would dissolve in the naphtha. Then pour off and evaporate the naphtha and you have the DMT and 5-MeO-DMT as a separate batch of goodies.

considering dmt and 5-meo were present at all, which at least from most reports I read they are negligible, it seems to be always bufotenin as the main content (though there must be some or other strain out there with higher content of those alkaloids.. That would be an interesting area of research )

soulfood
#18 Posted : 2/16/2010 10:58:02 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Senior Member | Skills: DMT, Harmaloids, Bufotenine, Mescaline, Trip advice

Thats like what I do but I always toast at some point.

The only thing is over here in the UK I haven't found good naphtha, but I have gotten some tasty results.

One point I'd like to make. You say you are getting off white. That's because you are completely dissolving the crude extract then dropping out with the weaker solvent addition.

You get cleaner results if you find the best ratio first, then mix very hard for a few moments to desolve the bufotenine but not the toxins. I have no experience with what naphtha folk are using over in the USA but with the right polarity solvent, cleaner results can be gotten still.

Have you tired re-xtalizing the off white powder to get real crstal formation's?

Also that yield sounds quite low, but I guess that depends on your seeds.

ThirdEyeVision
#19 Posted : 2/16/2010 11:32:33 PM

DMT-Nexus member

soulfood wrote:
Thats like what I do but I always toast at some point.

The only thing is over here in the UK I haven't found good naphtha, but I have gotten some tasty results.

One point I'd like to make. You say you are getting off white. That's because you are completely dissolving the crude extract then dropping out with the weaker solvent addition.

You get cleaner results if you find the best ratio first, then mix very hard for a few moments to desolve the bufotenine but not the toxins. I have no experience with what naphtha folk are using over in the USA but with the right polarity solvent, cleaner results can be gotten still.

Have you tired re-xtalizing the off white powder to get real crstal formation's?

Also that yield sounds quite low, but I guess that depends on your seeds.

What is a typical yield?
ThirdEyeVision

soulfood
#20 Posted : 2/16/2010 11:54:26 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Senior Member | Skills: DMT, Harmaloids, Bufotenine, Mescaline, Trip advice

I usually run 50g's seeds at a time, so I didn't really account for that now I think about it and have yielded anything between 300-800mg. I've heard of folk who are more lab efficent getting 1-1.5g from 50g's seeds also.

That said I've also heard of seeds containing 12% so... it's a strange one.

123NEXT»