We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Any Good Temperate Zone Ayahuasca Plants - Desmanthus Info? Options

brokedownpalace10
#1 Posted : 9/1/2022 9:43:57 AM
DMT-Nexus member

As the title says. Are there any good temperate zone Ayahuasca plants? By "good" I mean having primarily or only DMT with little to no 5Meo-DMT. I'm familiar with Phalaris.

I grew Desmanthus illinoensis in my garden some years ago. After a while, it started coming up in my yard. For years I have mowed around a couple plants and it has volunteered in a few other places where I have also tried to preserve it. I am presently harvesting seeds and trying to get it going at my lady friend's house as well. I have heard it is not a good Ayahuasca plant, but what the hell... I might help it become native to an area outside of it's traditional range.

So, are there any other plants I could play with growing outside In Ohio which might be better candidates for Ayahuasca? Not extraction as yet, just decent Ayahuasca plants. Also, any new news on Desmanthus?

I found the leptolobus much harder to get established, it actually died in my garden. It's a thought, but you want a prolific plant when harvesting root bark.

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

Homo Trypens
#2 Posted : 9/1/2022 6:48:23 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Welcoming committeeSenior Member

I don't know if Desmanthus illinoensis is good for brews or not.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desmanthus_illinoensis#Chemistry wrote:
Root bark of D. illinoensis has been found to contain N,N-DMT, NMT, N-hydroxy-N-methyltryptamine, 2-hydroxy-N-methyltryptamine, and gramine (toxic).
The article does mention that it's used for aya analogues.
I have never seen good information about gramine toxicity in humans.

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gramin wrote:
Gramine is harmful to grazing animals like eg. sheep, whereas it has only low toxicity in mice and rats.

A table with a bit more concrete information about the mice and rats can be found here.

Of course this doesn't really allow to conclude anything for humans one way or the other. Caution is certainly advised.

Anyway, if you were to extract from the Desmanthus root bark using naphtha, you would get rid of the gramine - i don't know about the other alkaloids though. You'd also get an upper bound of how much DMT your specific plants contain (at the time and conditions of harvest), and you could send some of the extract to analysis to learn about the constituents and their ratios.

I just googled 'ohio climate' and i have no ideas for other plants that might survive your winters outside. I hope others do, as i'm in a similar situation in Switzerland. My region has relatively mild winters, but still too cold for the most popular DMT plants. So far I'm simply growing a bunch of plants in pots and bringing them inside for winter.

One species that might survive your winter outdoors is Delosperma cooperi, but it is certainly less of a candidate for anahuasca than the Desmanthus. https://www.dmt-nexus.me/forum/default.aspx?g=posts&m=267973#post267973 is an old but interesting thread about D. cooperi.