We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Acacia identification Options

Muzz
#1 Posted : 8/21/2022 6:46:00 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Dear members

I'm new to this forum, and I'm grateful to those who will assist me. I found a tree in a nearby Valley and I'm sure it is Acacia, but I'm unsure of the details. Could someone kindly assist me. What have I got here? (South Africa)

Thanks
Murray
Muzz attached the following image(s):
IMG_20220817_172048[1].jpg (6,647kb) downloaded 41 time(s).
IMG_20220817_172106[1].jpg (4,442kb) downloaded 40 time(s).
IMG_20220817_172131[1].jpg (2,868kb) downloaded 40 time(s).
IMG_20220817_172249[1].jpg (3,667kb) downloaded 41 time(s).
IMG_20220817_172733[2].jpg (2,882kb) downloaded 41 time(s).

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

Homo Trypens
#2 Posted : 8/21/2022 8:03:10 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Welcoming committeeSenior Member

There's an Acacia and Mimosa identification thread with ca 70 pages, maybe sift through that if you have time and feel like it. Or maybe a mod will move this there.

I don't know enough about Acacias to make any good guesses. At first glance i noticed the phyllodes looking slightly similar to the ones on my supposed Acacia acuminata (long and with curved tip, but rather too wide), but i think the flowers are wrong and i never heard of it growing in South Africa (which doesn't say anything). I live in Switzerland, so i don't encounter any Acacias in the wild - just happy that i got them to sprout and not die on me yet, and hoping the seeds were labelled correctly Very happy

So i tried some searching. One i found that looks very similar to my eye is Acacia saligna, of Australian origin too but also cultivated on different continents. That site has a list of identification keys, the only one listed for Africa is
http://worldwidewattle.com/infogallery/identification/ wrote:
Ross, J. (1979). A conspectus of the African Acacia species. Memoirs of the Botanical Survey of South Africa 44: 1–155.

Maybe you can find it in a library or online...

Can you tell a bit more about these trees? How tall do they grow, what environment are they in, like soil type, wet/dry, coast or inland, etc? A picture with the entire tree might help too.

I hope someone who actually knows things about Acacias will chime in and solve the mystery...