We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
CaCO3 or CaSO4 Options

Aoutiv
#1 Posted : 2/9/2010 6:59:34 AM

DMT-Nexus member

It doesn't seem like there is a lot of information on this topic (or I just suck at searching), but I'm wondering at the main differences between using CaCO3 (crushed oyster shells) and CaSO4 (gypsum) to supply calcium to casings. So far this is what I have come across:

"Calcium carbonate (CaCO3) is pure limestone. Gypsum is impure calcium sulphate (CaSO4). Apparently both will work, but the CaCO3 will work better over the long term because carbonates are generally: less soluble than sulphates (more of it will remain as a solid until an acid comes along), less reactive (less likely to be transformed into some other molecule), and is less acidic (the sulphate ion is one of the species generated when sulphuric acid is mixed with water as part of the H2SO4 <-> HSO4(-) <-> SO4(2-) equilibrium).

Other common sources of CaCO3 are: washed and crushed eggshells, cuttle bones (from a pet store in the bird department), and crushed oyster shells (pet or farm feed store)."
-taken from Alkahest over at ST-

Now, this seems pretty straight forward, CaCO3 is superior because it is more soluble, less reactive, and less acidic, BUT! My question is regarding the SOLUBILITY when comparing gypsum, which is a powder, and crushed oyster shells, which are not all that soluble (excluding solubility on the molecular level because I dont know about it, actually thats what i'm asking about).

Can anyone shed ANY light on this?
β€œI have realized that the past and future are real illusions, that they exist in the present, which is what there is and all there is.”
-Watts-

"We live together, we act on, and react to, one another; but always and in all circumstances we are by ourselves. The martyrs go hand in hand into the arena; they are crucified alone. Embraced, the lovers desperately try to fuse their insulated ecstasies into a single self-transcendence; in vain. By its very nature every embodied spirit is doomed to suffer and enjoy in solitude. Sensations, feelings, insights, fancies β€” all these are private and, except through symbols and at second hand, incommunicable. We can pool information about experiences, but never the experiences themselves. From family to nation, every human group is a society of island universes."
-Huxley-

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

elphologist1
#2 Posted : 2/9/2010 11:57:54 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Calcium carbonate has a basic pH whereas calcium sulfate is close to neutral. I don't have the specifics in front of me at the moment but in general one uses only a very small amount of calcium carbonate since too much can produce too high of a pH and interfere with growth. Many formulas I have seen use both the carbonate (smaller amount) and sulfate (slightly larger amount). These can help with yields but are not absolutely essential. So if this is your first grow you might be safer to do without them unless you have specific amounts listed. Might make a difference of say 10-20% in yield.

elphologist

Xt
#3 Posted : 2/13/2010 12:17:37 PM

Do you have a specific PH that works best for fruiting?

β€œRight here and now, one quanta away, there is raging a universe of active intelligence that is transhuman, hyperdimensional, and extremely alien... What is driving religious feeling today is a wish for contact with this other universe.”
― Terence McKenna

elphologist1
#4 Posted : 2/13/2010 7:27:24 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Just slightly basic - somewhere between 7 and 8. Not only does being just slightly basic help the mushrooms, it also helps inhibit mold growth since mold grows better in acidic environments.

I'm no expert, but I have grown before (both actives and edibles). I've hung out on the Shroomery before and they have a lot more details on growing mushrooms of all kinds. I'd recommend checking them out - even if you don't post you can still read the techs and learn a lot as I did.

elphologist