We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
New Research Indicates Ayahuasca May Support a Healthy Lifestyle Options

Jagube
#1 Posted : 7/23/2022 9:53:50 AM

DMT-Nexus member

New Research Indicates Ayahuasca May Support a Healthy Lifestyle

Original paper (behind a paywall): Ayahuasca and Public Health II: Health Status in a Large Sample of Ayahuasca-Ceremony Participants in the Netherlands; Kohek et al, 2022

Jagube attached the following image(s):
a1.jpg (116kb) downloaded 139 time(s).
a2.jpg (80kb) downloaded 139 time(s).
a3.jpg (85kb) downloaded 140 time(s).

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

dithyramb
#2 Posted : 7/23/2022 4:10:47 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Thank you. What to make of men in the general population having a higher rate of good mental health...?
The consciousness of plants is a constant source of information for medicine, alimentation, and art, and an example of the intelligence and creative imagination of nature. Much of my education I owe to the intelligence of these great teachers. Thus I consider myself to be the “representative” of plants, and for this reason I assert that if they cut down the trees and burn what’s left of the rainforests, it is the same as burning a whole library of books without ever having read them.

~ Pablo Amaringo

Jagube
#3 Posted : 7/23/2022 5:36:37 PM

DMT-Nexus member

dithyramb wrote:
Thank you. What to make of men in the general population having a higher rate of good mental health...?

I can't access the paper, so don't know the methodology; in particular, whether the mental health score was based on self-reports or measured using objective criteria (and what exactly those were).
In the former case, men who drink ayahuasca may be more aware of their issues.
In the latter case, still, the causation may be in the opposite direction: men who have more issues (or are more aware of them) are more likely to turn to ayahuasca.

RhythmSpring
#4 Posted : 7/24/2022 4:40:28 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Wait, it looks like men who drink Ayahuasca have worse mental health than men who do. (See the very bottom of the infographic)
From the unspoken
Grows the once broken

L-dreamer
#5 Posted : 7/24/2022 8:01:24 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I have lots of issues with the picture posted in the OP, and it seems to have too many biases. For example something like "positive perception of health" doesn't mean anything at the end of the day. The picture doesn't even prove a correlation or causation, does it just try to be some sort of propaganda piece? "Drink ayahuasca and you too will have a lower cholesterol!" Was this the intent?

dithyramb
#6 Posted : 7/24/2022 8:07:20 PM

DMT-Nexus member

There is a push to create a contemporary-culture-compatible positive perception of psychedelics... For the good and bad.
The consciousness of plants is a constant source of information for medicine, alimentation, and art, and an example of the intelligence and creative imagination of nature. Much of my education I owe to the intelligence of these great teachers. Thus I consider myself to be the “representative” of plants, and for this reason I assert that if they cut down the trees and burn what’s left of the rainforests, it is the same as burning a whole library of books without ever having read them.

~ Pablo Amaringo

Voidmatrix
#7 Posted : 7/24/2022 8:10:38 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Welcoming committeeModerator

L-dreamer wrote:
I have lots of issues with the picture posted in the OP, and it seems to have too many biases. For example something like "positive perception of health" doesn't mean anything at the end of the day. The picture doesn't even prove a correlation or causation, does it just try to be some sort of propaganda piece? "Drink ayahuasca and you too will have a lower cholesterol!" Was this the intent?

You're spot on. I think this is one of those studies that is meant to encourage further research into this area. There's certainly nothing conclusive here and most of that could be happenstance. For example, it could be that people that are open to and willing to seek out aya may have these traits as compared to the general population and it's not actually the aya that correlates towards anything.

One love
What if the "truth" is: the "truth" is indescernible/unknowable/nonexistent? Then the closest we get is through being true to and with ourselves.

Know thyself, nothing in excess, certainty brings insanity- Delphic Maxims

DMT always has something new to show you Twisted Evil

Question everything... including questioning everything... There's so much I could be wrong about and have no idea...
All posts and supposed experiences are from an imaginary interdimensional being. This being has the proclivity and compulsion for delving in depths it shouldn't. Posts should be taken with a grain of salt. 👽

RhythmSpring
#8 Posted : 7/24/2022 8:11:52 PM

DMT-Nexus member

L-dreamer wrote:

That's a good question: What was the intent behind this infographic? It certainly is unclear and can be interpreted in many ways, most of them incomplete. I also have lots of issues with it.

It also goes to show that Ayahuasca, a matter of spirit, in my view, cannot be pigeon-holed in and quantified well by modern science. We like to throw numbers around to try to appease and appeal to wider/whiter audiences, but in actuality Ayahuasca is way more about intention and the tumultuous, mysterious zone within the human heart between choice and subconscious to register clearly in the caffeine-driven (c)annals of science.
From the unspoken
Grows the once broken

Voidmatrix
#9 Posted : 7/24/2022 8:18:29 PM

DMT-Nexus member

RhythmSpring wrote:
L-dreamer wrote:

That's a good question: What was the intent behind this infographic? It certainly is unclear and can be interpreted in many ways, most of them incomplete. I also have lots of issues with it.

It also goes to show that Ayahuasca, a matter of spirit, in my view, cannot be pigeon-holed in and quantified well by modern science. We like to throw numbers around to try to appease and appeal to wider/whiter audiences, but in actuality Ayahuasca is way more about intention and the tumultuous, mysterious zone within the human heart between choice and subconscious to register clearly in the caffeine-driven (c)annals of science.

Yup! Can't quantify intention, and intention is what will lead to these "benefits" when working with Aya.

One love
What if the "truth" is: the "truth" is indescernible/unknowable/nonexistent? Then the closest we get is through being true to and with ourselves.

Question everything... including questioning everything... There's so much I could be wrong about and have no idea...
All posts and supposed experiences are from an imaginary interdimensional being. This being has the proclivity and compulsion for delving in depths it shouldn't. Posts should be taken with a grain of salt. 👽

Tomtegubbe
#10 Posted : 7/24/2022 9:09:01 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Voidmatrix wrote:
RhythmSpring wrote:
L-dreamer wrote:

Yup! Can't quantify intention, and intention is what will lead to these "benefits" when working with Aya.

One love

Just want to join the crowd. It's not the substance that will rid you from your problems but the wisdom and knowledge you put into it's use and the conclusions you make from your insights. Somewhy this seems to be completely out of the medical paradigm where the potential health value of psychedelics is evaluated.
My preferred method:
Very easy pharmahuasca recipe

My preferred introductory article:
Just a Wee Bit More About DMT, by Nick Sand

Voidmatrix
#11 Posted : 7/24/2022 9:21:25 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Tomtegubbe wrote:
Voidmatrix wrote:
RhythmSpring wrote:
L-dreamer wrote:

One love

Just want to join the crowd. It's not the substance that will rid you from your problems but the wisdom and knowledge you put into it's use and the conclusions you make from your insights. Somewhy this seems to be completely out of the medical paradigm where the potential health value of psychedelics is evaluated.

Most drugs in the west are commonly thought to do-the-work-for-you, but some studies with DMT and psilocybin do have talk therapy after, so hopefully the internal work will be further encouraged in the future and be part of the medicine.

One love

PedroSanchez
#12 Posted : 8/4/2022 7:06:19 AM

DMT-Nexus member

these are the kind of info-graphics we see on social media when the creators are trying to get us to believe something ridiculous. it also shows the same lack of actual information and is full of the typical tricks to make things look a different way. whats with the BMI and sleep problems? why are they comparing a point to a range? these are the same tricks the media pulls. i have my suspicions about the intentions of the "powers that be" right now regarding psychedelics.
be careful people, remember our brains are like putty when we are on psychedelics. let the plants do the teaching, not the people. i know how it sounds but it is meant with love Love