We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Mucilage Options

brokedownpalace10
#1 Posted : 5/10/2022 8:53:03 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Does anyone have any San Pedro clones which are low in or lacking mucilage?

Some years back, I had a couple cactii, one from Wildflowers of Heaven and one from the Basement Shaman. The Basement Shaman clone was more desirable in other ways but extremely high in mucus. The Wildflowers of Heaven clone was lesser in other regards but seems to have zero mucus.

I went about life for a few years and had to decide which to preserve. I picked the low mucilage type since it made things so much easier to manage.

So, thoughts on Wildflowers of Heaven or any San Pedro which had no mucus?

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

8-Serpent-Wind
#2 Posted : 7/16/2022 10:19:37 PM

Retired from Forum

I don't know how true it still is, but my impression in ages past was that the pachanoid and peruvianoid (especially the macrogonus) types are notorious for the "pot of snot" but that T. bridgesii (aka Echinopsis langeniformis) tends to have less mucilage.

Some of the old extraction studies used the greener outer layer skins of the cacti, not because they contained the alkaloid and the core did not, but because the core was super slimey and it made extraction of the alkaloids too challenging at the time, so the outer green layer was used and found to contain 4%+ mescaline in that study, or so is my understanding.