We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Getting a full spectrum cactus alkaloid mix from resin Options

Phlux-
#1 Posted : 2/10/2010 6:17:51 AM

The Root

Chemical expertSenior Member

Okay so this is still a tek in progress - but the results so far seem promising enough to post.

This tek aims at getting mescaline out of the cactus without using a non-polar solvent.

Requirements :

Hydrochloric acid
Calcium hydroxide
Acetone
Water

Starting from resin.

The resin is mixed with lime and some water to make a paste - this is allowed to react for a while

Acetone is added - stirred or shaken and left for a while

The solution is filtered thru a coffee filter

Hcl is added to the acetone and the precipitate filtered out - if any forms

the acetone(now contaminated with water and hcl) is evapped

The final resin like product has bands of xtals in it - this is washed with hot acetone

The remaining stuff is dried or picked up with water - then dried - its tan in color and bitter as all hell

It doesnt smell much if the hot acetone wash is done - that acetone leaves such a stinky product when evapped.

Notes -

Replacing the acetone with ipa may be a good idea and may lead to a cleaner product.

I noticed some of the non mesc alkaloids are hygroscopic in nature as hcl salts - i think separating the mesc from the non mesc - making the non mesc into a solid salt form then combining would be the ultimate purist approach - a dry xtalline mixed pedro extract.
antrocles wrote:
...purity of intent....purity of execution....purity of experience...

...unlike the "blind leading the blind". we are more akin to a group of blind-from-birth people who have all simultaneously been given the gift of sight but have no words or mental processing capabilites to work with this new "gift".

IT IS ONLY TO THE EXTENT THAT WE ARE WILLING TO EXPOSE OURSELVES OVER AND OVER AGAIN TO ANNIHILATION THAT WE DISCOVER THAT PART OF OURSELVES THAT IS INDESTRUCTIBLE.

Quote:
‹Jorkest› the wall is impenetrable as far as i can tell

Quote:
‹xtechre› cheese is great

He who packs ur capsules - controls your destiny.

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

panoramix
#2 Posted : 2/10/2010 8:35:12 AM

DMT-Nexus member

hola whell dune Phlux.

let me know how potent it is. and how many cacti did u use, for swiy yeildVery happy

greeder panoramix
Panoramix, the honorable druid. With his golden knife he cuts his herbs, with which he prepares his famous magic potion.

And he knows many other secret recipe,,,

Phlux-
#3 Posted : 2/10/2010 9:38:43 AM

The Root

that was just a small second unmashed pull on the peice of pedro in my cactus prep thread.
antrocles wrote:

...unlike the "blind leading the blind". we are more akin to a group of blind-from-birth people who have all simultaneously been given the gift of sight but have no words or mental processing capabilites to work with this new "gift".

IT IS ONLY TO THE EXTENT THAT WE ARE WILLING TO EXPOSE OURSELVES OVER AND OVER AGAIN TO ANNIHILATION THAT WE DISCOVER THAT PART OF OURSELVES THAT IS INDESTRUCTIBLE.

Quote:

Quote:

Crystalito
#4 Posted : 2/10/2010 10:06:33 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Excellent thread once more Phlux!!!

By the way, you base the resin because M freebase is soluble in acetone?

Also: What is known for the solubility of Calcium hydroxide (lime) in acetone and alcohol? I was also wondering if sodium carbonate could be added in its place,if it can basify adequately.
For Sodium carbonate i found some solubility data in methanol and acetone ,which also takes into account the water content.You might want to have a look at them,i attach them.

Phlux-
#5 Posted : 2/10/2010 10:53:38 AM

The Root

iv done it with sodium carbonate - seemed to work fine.
the lime seems preddy much insoluble in acetone - i would imagine its insoluble in ipa too.
and yes i took advantage of the fact that mesc freebase is soluble in acetone - the hcl salt is not.
antrocles wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

panoramix
#6 Posted : 2/10/2010 11:08:26 AM

DMT-Nexus member

if the HCL salt is insoleble in acetone wold it not crash out of the acetone wen ju add hcl
greeder
Panoramix, the honorable druid. With his golden knife he cuts his herbs, with which he prepares his famous magic potion.

Phlux-
#7 Posted : 2/10/2010 11:12:08 AM

The Root

There is still water in the acetone - the mescaline sits in any water available to it.
antrocles wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

panoramix
#8 Posted : 2/10/2010 11:14:08 AM

DMT-Nexus member

if u let the water evap before you add the acetone it wil crash out wil it. and you wil end up with pure mesc HCL?

Very happy

Phlux-
#9 Posted : 2/10/2010 11:17:44 AM

The Root

u would have to bubble anhydrous hydrogen chloride gas through the acetone containing the freebase i would imagine as the hcl contains 66% water
perhaps if a drop of hcl is all that is used and the anhydrous acetone placed in the freezer - its possible
i tried a mek style re-x using acetone on it - it cleaned off the smells but nothing precipped in the freezer.
ipa works ok for a replacement for the mek re-x
antrocles wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

panoramix
#10 Posted : 2/10/2010 11:22:33 AM

DMT-Nexus member

mmm ok Very happy great.

let me know how the trip goos.

greeder

Crystalito
#11 Posted : 2/10/2010 3:48:30 PM
DMT-Nexus member

By the way Phlux has there been a bioassay on the two fractions (precipitate vs acetone evaporate) ? Any comments on them ?

antichode
#12 Posted : 2/10/2010 8:59:22 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Great work Phlux. SWIMS friend has tried something similar. The biggest problem is the water in the hcl and acetone. If one converts the freebase to hcl and evaps that, it doesnt want to dissolve in anydrous acetone. why is this? Is it plant oils or alkaloids that make the resin so hardy? Filthy brown sticky mesc hcl from a limo extraction cleanes up in seconds when its dry and acetone is used, but not hcl resin.

Also, why did you use hot acetone to wash? SWIMS friend has noticed a significant loss in yield when using hot acetone, so he only uses freezing cold acetone to wash with now

Phlux-
#13 Posted : 2/11/2010 5:54:28 AM

The Root

650mg resin consumed - i would estimate it to have contained 200mg or so of mesc - the pedro alkaloids were quite fun too.
Enough playing with resins - im a xtal man - i cant ignore this cold hard fact any more - nothing has prooved itself quite like hcl xtals - other than direct cactus tea, which doesnt fit in a capsule.
antrocles wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

Crystalito
#14 Posted : 2/11/2010 8:25:53 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Ah heheh, from all the work done it seemed you were getting quite close though after all the experiments were not failures.

Phlux-
#15 Posted : 2/11/2010 8:42:47 AM

The Root

well not failures at all - they worked perfectly well - but i see no benefit - i love extracting and re-x'ing
i love looking at xtals that grew overnight - in the morning (first thing i do when i wake up is check my cactus seedlings and check for xtals - the 2 things that make me happiest hobby wize)
antrocles wrote:

Quote:

Quote: