We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Lolium Perenne and/or Festuca Arundinacea as an MAOI? Options

elchingy97
#1 Posted : 6/25/2022 10:37:42 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Hey y'all!

Does anyone know if Lolium Perenne and/or Festuca Arundinacea can be used as an MAOI (& in what quantities of dried plant mass) to orally activate DMT?

Btw, forgive me if I'm posting in the wrong forum section. Ty!

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

endlessness
#2 Posted : 6/25/2022 12:34:58 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Why would they? Are you choosing these plants at random or do you have any indication they may contain harmalas or other compounds of interest?

A quick search did not yield anything of particular interest, I saw these species are sometimes infected with different toxic fungus, and that they have tremorgenic terpene alkaloids. It doesn't sound promissing at all, but I might have missed something, so let me know if you have any other info of interest.

Also I noticed you were talking in another thread about using this to orally activate Phragmites spp. I'd also be very careful with consuming plants that have such a varied alkaloid content as Phragmites. Just because it has been shown to contain tryptamines doesn't mean it's safe to consume (or that even if it was safe, that it contains useable amounts)

I'd highly suggest you specially don't consume it orally in crude form, and that you do some tests like TLC on extracts from the plant before considering consuming it.

Chimp Z
#3 Posted : 6/28/2022 12:40:38 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Festuca arundinacea, commonly known as tall fescue, is a cool season, long-lived, perennial, C3 species of bunchgrass native to Europe. In many places it was initially introduced as a lawn and pasture grass. Its use spread from Europe to North America during the early to mid-1800s due to its high growth rate, resilience against drought and protection against herbivory. In its introduced range, F. arundinacea has escaped cultivation and invaded wild areas. It has become an invasive species and noxious weed in native grasslands, woodlands and other habitats, reducing native biodiversity. It has documented associations with fungal endophytes such as Neotyphodium coenophialum, which may be the reason for the plant’s success. The endophyte produces bioactive alkaloids which give the plant protection against predation by insects, larger grazers and even nematodes. Following the introduction of F. arundinacea as a forage grass, particularly in North America, reports of poor animal performance emerged. Ergot alkaloids produced within the grass have been linked to fescue toxicosis in animals, which can lead to aborted foetuses in livestock and some wild animals. Endophyte-free grasses are much less aggressive than their infected counterparts, and so do not pose the same threats.

https://www.cabi.org/isc/datasheet/23983

Vague mention of Festuca Arundinacea containing harman/harmane, no follow up sources:

https://en.wikipedia.org...t_of_psychoactive_plants

https://erowid.org/chemi...a/ayahuasca_info11.shtml

downwardsfromzero
#4 Posted : 7/22/2022 6:21:17 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

Shulgin may have mentioned something about betacarboline content of these grasses in one of the appendices of TIHKaL, but that section is plagued with a lack of both quantification and references.

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

Dozuki
#5 Posted : 9/10/2022 4:24:47 PM

Faustian Phytochem Investigator

Chemical expertSenior Member

Festuca a. can contain fungal endophytes that produces ergot alkaloids. Just as a heads up.
Lolium I have not really looked into.

-D.

downwardsfromzero
#6 Posted : 1/6/2023 8:04:03 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

The betacarboline, perlolyrine, is named after Lolium perenne:
Quote:
Perlolyrine was previously reported to be found in rye grass (Lolium perenne (L.)
here

The pharmacological properties of perlolyrine are somewhat unclear.

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli