We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Respecting the plant, getting more Spice - wanting to try Xylene Options

BobDobbs
#1 Posted : 6/18/2022 10:49:24 PM
DMT-Nexus member

I've had a pleasant surprise at the purity of the Spice I've extracted with Q21Q21's Vinegar/Lime method. I've only used Naphtha as my non-polar solvent so far and I've seen how it slowly absorbs into the bark mush. Before I try Xylene should I completely dry the bark mush? That is, give the Naphtha a chance to evaporate? Or is it just fine to pour off the excess Naphtha and start stirring in some Xylene?

I'm really interested to see if I can extract something a bit more jungly.

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

downwardsfromzero
#2 Posted : 6/19/2022 2:33:12 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

Xylene is so effective a solvent that you don't have to worry about the naphtha remnants, unless you have some overarching reason to avoid getting naphtha into your xylene (I can't think of any).

How will you be getting the product back out of the xylene? Evaporation is slow and xylene is really stinky (although I kind of like the smell).

To keep up the 'jungle-ness' a good option might be to backsalt into vinegar, evaporate, base with sodium carbonate, allow the paste to dry and then pull with acetone (or IPA, or ethanol) and evaporate once more. It seems worth mentioning that fumaric acid precipitation would likely clean things up too much.

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

Cosmic Giggle
#3 Posted : 7/14/2022 3:25:22 AM

Curious

I just performed my first xylene pulls on extraction vessels that had already been pulled with Naptha. ~3-5mL naphtha remained in all of them and I had no problems just pouring the xylene in there with the naphtha.

I tried to evap a couple dishes of it inside next to window with high powered fan blowing over it/out window but it still stank the room up. Cant do that anymore. Had to evap following attempts outdoors. Put a cheesecloth over evap dish to keep nature from getting into it.

Worked, but takes longer to evaporate, and humidity may have been a factor.

I’ll post in detail how I got the xylene to *completely* evap and turn the jungle into a more crystalline substance overnight instead of having goo. Using nothing but water. Gonna try to have it up by the weekend when I do all my write ups of the last months work.