We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Help with Voacanga africana Options

ShamanisticVibes
#1 Posted : 6/11/2022 4:07:02 PM
DMT-Nexus member

I've been growing this Voacanga tree for a little over a year. Over the winter (indoors) it dropped all of it's leaves, but I could still see active growth tips, so I wasn't worried. It's begun growing the top canopy back in, but the leaves seem to be turning opaque yellow/white as if they are being bleached. I'm using a cob led at 10 or 12 inches distance, so I do not think this is a light issue. Temp is roughly 70-75 degrees and it's on an 18-6 light schedule. Humidity is high enough, though I don't have a gauge down there. I've looked far and wide on something..... anything that can help me troubleshoot this, but the literature on growing Voacanga is severely lacking. Does anyone have any idea what I can do to remedy my problem? Or point me in the direction of a pdf file or some other form of literature on cultivating this variety?

Thanks in advance.

Edit: I can provide photos if that helps.
May we continue to be blessed

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

downwardsfromzero
#2 Posted : 6/13/2022 12:40:18 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

What kind of nutrition is the plant getting? Pale leaves would be indicative of some kind of deficiency, to my admittedly inexperienced eyes.

18-6 seems to me like a long day phase for a tropical plant but, again, I've never tried growing this one.

Photos would be great, even if we just like to see photos Big grin

β€œThere is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

ShamanisticVibes
#3 Posted : 6/14/2022 1:03:17 AM
DMT-Nexus member

downwardsfromzero wrote:
What kind of nutrition is the plant getting? Pale leaves would be indicative of some kind of deficiency, to my admittedly inexperienced eyes.

18-6 seems to me like a long day phase for a tropical plant but, again, I've never tried growing this one.

Photos would be great, even if we just like to see photos Big grin

They're not even pale, they seem bleached. As far as nutrients go, I feed light, as this is new territory for me. I'm currently using Roots Organic terp tea. I can try to bump it down, but at 12-12 I was getting absolutely no growth at all.

Here are some photos. The first is the very top canopy, and the second is a smaller fork off of the base. This has been a challenging plant to keep alive. Honestly, I'm awestruck that it has survived this long with all of the complications I have had.

May we continue to be blessed

downwardsfromzero
#4 Posted : 6/14/2022 3:56:37 AM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

Well, indeed, lights struggle to replicate luminance of the tropical sun.

From what I can see of the leaves, it still seems like a nutrient deficiency. Magnesium and nitrogen spring to mind, but as I say, I'm (still) a total n00b really.

Maybe the attached chart will help.

Also, there may be some mycorrhizal needs which aren't being fulfilled but that really is just a guess.
downwardsfromzero attached the following image(s):
nutrient deficiencies.jpg (178kb) downloaded 25 time(s).

β€œThere is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

Fran
#5 Posted : 6/15/2022 1:46:17 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Voacanga doesn't like full sun. It's always protect by others trees in nature from full sun. And it really enjoy nitrogen.