We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Intents: Open-Ended Intent List (Others Encouraged to Contribute) Options

Voidmatrix
#1 Posted : 6/4/2022 2:40:59 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Welcoming committeeModerator

This post is intended to be an open-ended and collaborative project open to contributions by other members of the Nexus. I just request that we stay on topic in this thread.

I would like to discuss and show a development strategy and deployment of the use of intention to deepen, enrich, and create more fulfilling and fruitful psychedelic journeys.

This thread also may not be for everyone, for we are each our own individual with completely different amalgams of thought patters and influences in our lives, and ultimately, all existing within the confines of our own subjectivity. So, there will be those that don't feel they need any intent in their psychedelic endeavors. But I feel there are enough people that will benefit from the topic of this post and so the time spent writing and then posting will be worth it.

First, and most importantly, it is imperative that one be honest with themselves. Sometimes we can tell ourselves we have “x” intention, but really just be using “x” as a justification without really meaning it to ourselves. It's like having a list in one's mind of necessary conditions for journeying to be appropriate and as long as all of the boxes (or maybe just most, or the one's that are the most valued) are “checked” then one is justified in their endeavor. Then one attempts to find in their mind a satisfactory “reason” to use for this justification without any direction aside from possibly ones used in the past. We are inadvertently misdirecting ourselves. Now, this isn't to say that we can't just be in these spaces because we want to. We certainly can however, we just need be honest with ourselves about that and be better prepared for whatever the experience may throw at us, because when we just go for it things are often more chaotic, harder to extract any insights from, and can be more difficult to remember specifics of. With respect to DMT specifically, if one's not “being real” with themselves, hyperspace may leave a mark for it. Be true to you. Better yet “to thine own self be true.”

I find that intent should be a balance between broad and specific. With some substances we may receive direct information or very clear symbolism that alludes itself to maybe an “answer” that we seek. This is often not so much the case with DMT and can not be the case with many other psychedelics for that matter. Psychedelic spaces are inherently complex and non-linear and we should be mindful of how and in what manners we interpret them. When we have an intention that is too specific, we can miss anything about it once in the space because we have narrowed our focus too much to be receptive for the elusive ways in which psychedelics convey information. At the same time, too much breadth can be “unproductive” and chaotic, also being hard to extract subjectively valuable information from. Being general enough for many options relative to the intent to present themselves, but specific enough to be able to properly engage with certain kinds of content as it arises.

An aside: It's also important that we look at any potential assumptions or “unverifiables” inherent to and implied by out intent. Something such as, “seeing the truth,” or “finding the ultimate reality,” is predicated on assumptions that there is some sort of greater “truth” to be discovered outside of the human way in which we use it, that if shown to us we will be able to identify and understand it, and that it will subscribe to our preconceived notions attached to our idea, as well as other assumptions. And while we may have faith that there are answers to some of our questions or something to be seen based off of elusive and unverifiable things and ideas stipulates nothing about what is being posited or sought, but only something about the seeker. It seems best to hopefully get clues and insights to these kinds of ideas as we work on more matters related to ourselves and the spaces we're using and exploring. Looking at things through the lens of potentiality rather than actuality.

Intents in this context are meant to be considered for singular journeys, where as our solidified reasons for working with entheogens in general is more of our motivations. Our intents need not be fancy, elaborate, or “perfect.” They only need to be honest and a way to help direct the experience slightly, extracting more from it overall with the aid of the direction the intent provides. It can be looked at as a sort of mental programmer and primer for psychedelic spaces. It helps us be more self-aware.

Intents can also be layered for a single experience, but, as is the case within chaos theory, the more variable (intents) we add and the more disparate they are, the more chaotic the experience can be.

Void's Intent List

I've shared this before, but to show more about approach will share again:

Void's DMT Invocation wrote:
Greetings,
I come before you with humility and reverence.
I am here to, I before you for, I seek engagement/communion with, I long for, I seek to explore... (intent stated here).
I give you my presence, attention, and my being.
The entheogen is my teacher.
I am my own facilitator, guide, and healer.
I take responsibility for this choice of my own free-will.
Trusting myself and the entheogen, with confidence and gratitude, I allow myself this experience, and now surrender.
Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Sometimes I just want to be in the space, so typically I will state “to be” or “to explore being” or “to commune with the space.” There's nothing wrong with just being in the space. It's interesting, engaging, often transcendent, growth inducing, balancing, and sourcing activity for me personally, and since philosophically I practice skepticism it's paradoxically meaningful to me to be in touch with the ineffable, etheric, and ethereal (I could go on, but I think you get the gist). Learning to “be” is important in and of itself anyway.

With myself, and others in my guide-work practice, these powerful molecules are powerful reset and healing tools of enormous value. Often, even if we can't extrude any meaning from an experience, we still feel goodness after, and that's therapeutic. That said, healing is another common intent, and sometimes will be directed at healing some specific psychological or emotional issue. It's necessary to state, that no one session may be healing in and of itself, but rather over time, with work on our part, inside and outside the psychedelic healing container. The psychedelic may be what catalyzes a realization or insight for us that feels therapeutic and healing, but it comes down to how that information is used within us and in our lives that maintains the healing of wounds and traumas.

Exploration is another, but this one is where things can become a bit more precarious. When Europeans were searching for the heart of Africa, or the explorers of the States that chose to explore Westward, there were dire dangers in their endeavors. Similar things can be said for psychedelics and is shown with intents such as these. Psychedelics have a great safety profile physically, but trauma can be encountered on a psychological and emotional way in these spaces if we don't hone our skills to traverse the spaces. In exploring, be wise about dosage and the usual set and setting.

Some others: to grow, to learn, to understand, to confront anxiety, to step into fear, to practice the experience, to improve skill, to be more engaged in pragmatic life, to explore perception and consciousness, to experience higher states of mind. [Note:I will add as more come to mind]

A note on impulse: Lately, if the impulse to journey strikes me, I try to follow through. A way of helping me grow out of a self-deprecating rut. When this is the case, I take a moment to check-in and see if there's another intent that is also appropriate in the moment. If not, then the intent is framed something like “to work on doing more of what I'd like” or “to learn to act on impulse more.” This is a very personal kind of intent for me, and unless a client or other person has a similar set of hangups to the ones I'm working through, then I would not recommend this approach to most people. The more I do DMT, the weirder it gets, which I don't mind, but seems to take more skill to manage. When going on impulse, things can sometimes be exponentially weirder. I also feel okay doing this because I actively built what I feel is a reciprocal relationship with DMT; my respect, reverence, and commitment are implicit at this time, which appears to allow me more freedom and wiggle-room

And yet, DMT still terrifies me...

And I keep doing it anyway Love Twisted Evil

One love
What if the "truth" is: the "truth" is indescernible/unknowable/nonexistent? Then the closest we get is through being true to and with ourselves.

Know thyself, nothing in excess, certainty brings insanity- Delphic Maxims

DMT always has something new to show you Twisted Evil

Question everything... including questioning everything... There's so much I could be wrong about and have no idea...
All posts and supposed experiences are from an imaginary interdimensional being. This being has the proclivity and compulsion for delving in depths it shouldn't. Posts should be taken with a grain of salt. 👽

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

strtman
#2 Posted : 6/4/2022 4:57:04 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Good topic.

For some people having an intention before going into a journey is the right way. I am not of that school.

In my opinion, just take the trip when you feel right about it. It really comes down to how I feel in the moment. And the Universe always gives you what you need in that moment. Nowadays I never set an intention, but true, I did so in the beginning.

Quiet the mind and the soul will speak

Voidmatrix
#3 Posted : 6/4/2022 5:26:12 PM

DMT-Nexus member

strtman wrote:
Good topic.

For some people having an intention before going into a journey is the right way. I am not of that school.

In my opinion, just take the trip when you feel right about it. It really comes down to how I feel in the moment. And the Universe always gives you what you need in that moment. Nowadays I never set an intention, but true, I did so in the beginning.

Thank you strtman.

I've found that the more that we actively build relationships with these entheogens, and always approach with reverence and respect, the less we may need intent. All the same, I feel that even with that level of experience and relationship, setting an intent can be further enriching and directed, goals and purpose pending. Kinda like me and my mini journey this morning before getting out of bed (somatic) Laughing

To each their own; we all evolve over time.

Thank you for your thoughts Love

One love
What if the "truth" is: the "truth" is indescernible/unknowable/nonexistent? Then the closest we get is through being true to and with ourselves.

Question everything... including questioning everything... There's so much I could be wrong about and have no idea...
All posts and supposed experiences are from an imaginary interdimensional being. This being has the proclivity and compulsion for delving in depths it shouldn't. Posts should be taken with a grain of salt. 👽

Tomtegubbe
#4 Posted : 6/4/2022 7:37:20 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I believe intentionality is a skill you develop like a decent grip when holding a sword (or any tool). You don't want it to be too rigid but not too loose. Sometimes you may have a specific issue you want to address but sometimes it's more vague, but in any case you should be aware why you are doing what you are doing. Like you are attending an important meeting you should be aware why you are attending and then give space to whatever happens in the situation.
My preferred method:
Very easy pharmahuasca recipe

My preferred introductory article:
Just a Wee Bit More About DMT, by Nick Sand

murklan
#5 Posted : 6/4/2022 11:14:33 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Tomtegubbe wrote:
I believe intentionality is a skill you develop like a decent grip when holding a sword (or any tool). You don't want it to be too rigid but not too loose. Sometimes you may have a specific issue you want to address but sometimes it's more vague, but in any case you should be aware why you are doing what you are doing. Like you are attending an important meeting you should be aware why you are attending and then give space to whatever happens in the situation.

Good topic and well written Voidmatrix and wise words there Tomtegubbe. "Like you are attending an important meeting you should be aware why you are attending and then give space to whatever happens in the situation."

Yes, to give space to, and opening up for what is in the moment. Also to the possibility of being changed. That are parts of what I see as a psychedelic experience. That is in a way also an intention, but wide.

Voidmatrix
#6 Posted : 6/5/2022 3:26:19 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Tomtegubbe wrote:

murklan wrote:
Good topic and well written Voidmatrix and wise words there Tomtegubbe. "Like you are attending an important meeting you should be aware why you are attending and then give space to whatever happens in the situation."

Yes, to give space to, and opening up for what is in the moment. Also to the possibility of being changed. That are parts of what I see as a psychedelic experience. That is in a way also an intention, but wide.

Thank you both for jumping in here.

Tomtegubbe certainly has a wonderful and eloquent way with words Love

Simply I fully agree: awareness of why. And my hope is, for those that it's appropriate for, for others to be able to hone this skill for themselves.

And @murklan, I really like that last sentiment and your use of it as an intent. The structuring of it isn’t what I would've considered as such before, but I see it well now. And this is why the thread as a whole is open-ended: the topic itself is mainly involved with abstraction, nothing is absolute or concrete.

Please feel free to add on if you guys come across any other relevant thoughts on the matter.

One love

ShadedSelf
#7 Posted : 6/5/2022 4:22:06 PM

DMT-Nexus member

My experience with intents has been somewhat mixed, I feel like trying to get your mind to formulate an intent ends up obscuring it, trying to become aware of what the actual intent can sometimes lead nowhere too.
Basically it seems that you cant really fabricate them, at least not without a good deal of introspection.

I feel like intents come from an honest place deep within the self, they are there, lately Ive found that going into the experience "blind" and figuring out what you want once you are in there works for me.

Other times I am more aware of my intentions, and that might make the experience more "cohesive", there is less separation between this world and the one you are traveling to.

I think it all boils down to awareness.

Voidmatrix
#8 Posted : 6/5/2022 9:05:18 PM

DMT-Nexus member

ShadedSelf wrote:
My experience with intents has been somewhat mixed, I feel like trying to get your mind to formulate an intent ends up obscuring it, trying to become aware of what the actual intent can sometimes lead nowhere too.
Basically it seems that you cant really fabricate them, at least not without a good deal of introspection.

I feel like intents come from an honest place deep within the self, they are there, lately Ive found that going into the experience "blind" and figuring out what you want once you are in there works for me.

Other times I am more aware of my intentions, and that might make the experience more "cohesive", there is less separation between this world and the one you are traveling to.

I think it all boils down to awareness.

It is very important not to think or try too hard. I learned/am learning this the hard way. Can be a deep rut to remove oneself from.

And I think our intents are something that we find and not so much fabricate as you've mentioned. It kinda falls under the example given above. When we try to make one up to justify the simple desire of just wanting to get into the space only furthers our sense of delusion that we all have but try to mitigate and curtail.

And often, with anything, we need to understand the operative capability before we can choose how we want to use it. We aim to use tools in the appropriate way: we don't use a screwdriver to hammer a peg in.

And this has also made me reflect on something I neglected to mention above. We can have intents that are too enigmatic, complex, and/or ineffable for us to verbalize, but we can still be real and aware of ourselves enough to acknowledge this in and for ourselves.

One love

roninsina
#9 Posted : 6/8/2022 12:55:20 AM

DMT-Nexus member

It’s fun to see what works for others, but avoiding intent has always been the best fit for me. As if someone I have immense respect for was speaking - rather than anticipating what they may say next, or steering them to a particular topic, I just listen.
"We dance round in a ring and suppose,
while the secret sits in the middle and knows." Robert Frost

Voidmatrix
#10 Posted : 6/8/2022 1:10:47 AM

DMT-Nexus member

roninsina wrote:
It’s fun to see what works for others, but avoiding intent has always been the best fit for me. As if someone I have immense respect for was speaking - rather than anticipating what they may say next, or steering them to a particular topic, I just listen.

Mmmm, that was a beautiful analogy.

For me, this is similar when I go to "be" or to "commune."

Wisely said as usual. Thank you Smile

One love