CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
«PREV2425262728NEXT
The Art of Art Van D'lay Options

Bill Cipher
#501 Posted : 6/1/2022 5:56:10 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Thanks, man. I appreciate that. I really enjoy the big, long, extended projects, so this is pretty perfect for me. They tend to take on a life of their own and wake me up in the middle of the night with ideas. I live and breathe em for as long as they last, and then once they're done, it's depression time. Until I settle into the next one.

But yes, the commitment to doing it is really the only thing that matters in the end. I'd like the rewards as well of course, but what really matters is the work.

My best is yet to come.

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

downwardsfromzero
#502 Posted : 6/1/2022 9:20:13 PM

Boundary Condition

ModeratorChemical expert

Boy, am I relieved to see some symmetric abs Laughing

That's some seriously nice tattoo work - do people commission you for actual tattoo designs? Because if they don't, they should. I don't have any ink myself, partly because there was never anything that seemed right. Your work is making me reconsider.

Bill Cipher wrote:
My best is yet to come.
I for one can hardly wait!

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

Voidmatrix
#503 Posted : 6/2/2022 12:41:35 AM

Surrender and BE free

Welcoming committeeModerator

downwardsfromzero wrote:
Boy, am I relieved to see some symmetric abs Laughing

That's some seriously nice tattoo work - do people commission you for actual tattoo designs? Because if they don't, they should. I don't have any ink myself, partly because there was never anything that seemed right. Your work is making me reconsider.

Bill Cipher wrote:
My best is yet to come.
I for one can hardly wait!

Ya know, you're gonna make me post a picture of my staggered ones just to spite you Laughing Twisted Evil

Commissioning a non-tattoo artist for a tattoo design is a weird taboo in some tattoo cultures in the world. Sometimes the non-tattooing artist makes things too close knit, and sometimes too complex, for an tattoo artist to execute. It also depends on the tattoo artist's skill level.

That's not to say I disagree, since I've already talked to my artist about doing one of Bill's question marks as well as his scarab Pleased

One love
What if the "truth" is: the "truth" is indescernible/unknowable? Then the closest we get is through being true to and with ourselves.

Know thyself, nothing in excess, certainty brings insanity- Delphic Maxims

DMT always has something new to show you Twisted Evil

Question everything... including questioning everything... There's so much I could be wrong about and have no idea...
All posts and supposed experiences are from an imaginary interdimensional being. This being has the proclivity and compulsion for delving in depths it shouldn't. Posts should be taken with a grain of salt. 👽

Bill Cipher
#504 Posted : 6/2/2022 1:29:31 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I'm completely ink free myself. I like em for sure, but I'm way too old to start up now and look anything other than silly.

People have asked me to design a few, but I never have. One guy reached out a couple years back to ask if I'd mind if he got my painted skull on his arm. I didn't, of course, but when he sent me a photo afterwards, it looked like he'd been worked on by a drunk toddler. He was thrilled, but truth be told, I thought it looked like ass. But yeah, anyone actually looking to desecrate their flesh with my art is more than welcome to do so.

Fun facts: I wanted to do some kind of promotion with the Chingons, wherein the first person to commit to a full face tattoo of their corresponding NFT would get airdropped a Ferrari or something. That, and a fight club with members in mocap suits, George Lopez calling the action and the house taking a vig.

No one other than me seemed to think these were good ideas.

Oh, the missed opportunities.

Oh, and the abs... I left them symmetrical so I could paint on him more easily. I take no sides in the great staggered vs. non-staggered debate of 2022. You fellas are just going to have to work that one out on your own!

Bill Cipher
#505 Posted : 6/2/2022 8:13:04 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I don't know how far into the weeds I want to go with posting daily renders, but I thought you might like to see this. This is the first two days of full color paint. I can likely get through one layer per day, but as I go I'm constantly changing things, fixing wonky areas. I don't know that I'll do as many, but he'll be solid mindfuck from head to toe, with thousands of possible combinations.

Pro tip: I always try to work on areas I don't think will be seen a whole lot first - so tonight will come legs, followed by feet, then I'll move on to the rest. That way I work out the kinks in my workflow and get into a groove before tackling the more visible areas.
Bill Cipher attached the following image(s):
WIP13.jpg (1,007kb) downloaded 105 time(s).

Voidmatrix
#506 Posted : 6/2/2022 8:17:06 PM

Surrender and BE free

Is this one titled "Dennis Rodman render?" Laughing

Love it!

One love
What if the "truth" is: the "truth" is indescernible/unknowable? Then the closest we get is through being true to and with ourselves.

Question everything... including questioning everything... There's so much I could be wrong about and have no idea...
All posts and supposed experiences are from an imaginary interdimensional being. This being has the proclivity and compulsion for delving in depths it shouldn't. Posts should be taken with a grain of salt. 👽

Fridge
#507 Posted : 6/3/2022 11:45:30 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Hey Bill, just wanted to pop in to say hi!
I'd like you to know that I pop in here regulary, but I am a lurker by nature, so I keep quiet often... Your creations are unique. I love it, please make more. (I know you won't stop anyways, haha)
...no need to worry...

Bill Cipher
#508 Posted : 6/3/2022 6:38:39 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Fridge wrote:
Hey Bill, just wanted to pop in to say hi!
I'd like you to know that I pop in here regulary, but I am a lurker by nature, so I keep quiet often... Your creations are unique. I love it, please make more. (I know you won't stop anyways, haha)

Thanks, man. Much appreciated!

roninsina
#509 Posted : 6/4/2022 4:08:39 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I’m in the same boat with being old and inkless, but that is kinda inspiring. I could always claim mid-life crisis (if I can survive into the 2070’s) and start catching up on the body artLaughing

Like Fridge was saying, I try to take a minute to check in here whenever I can take a quick break, and I really appreciate the things you share with all of us, but feeling capable of a presentable sentence or two is, pretty often beyond me. There are really quite a few folks who post inspiring stuff on here all the time, that I wish I had the where-with-all to respond to. But don’t you get discouraged for a minute, man. You’ve polished a groove that most of us only hope to start carving, in some far-off future.

If you mades it, we wants to sees it, if’n you wants to shows us it🃏
"We dance round in a ring and suppose,
while the secret sits in the middle and knows." Robert Frost

Bill Cipher
#510 Posted : 6/4/2022 8:30:08 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Thank you, guys. I appreciate the kind words. I'm over my moment of doubt and pain (for this week, anyway...). I'm on fire right now, creatively speakin', and just trying to ride that wave for as long as I can!

More to come, I promise!

Bill Cipher
#511 Posted : 6/7/2022 8:16:55 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Okay, so I know I said I wasn't sure how much excruciating daily minutiae I wanted to share right now, but disregard that. I'm cracking the mo'fuckin' code over here and want to show where I'm at.

My dilemma has been how do I paint a bunch of different abstract designs in various sledgehammer colors, and somehow maintain continuity without all of them looking the same. The tattoo combinations are all going to be randomly assigned in the end, so it's a problem - unless I have some kind of a concrete game plan. I need variety, but the colors all have to make sense in relation to each other (just as the monotone designs do). Otherwise, it will all just look like a random, confusing mess.

So, what I've come up with is this:

I have a number of base colors (red, purple, green, white and yellow) on separate layers for each separate quadrant (hands/arms/head and neck/chest/stomach/back/feet/top of head). Each of the six original monotone designs for each quadrant gets painted over in two different color schemes (consisting of the same two or three colors for each), and is then layered over the top of the solid. This way I can pick and choose which color scheme fits best with each background (for example, version 1 works better against purple, red and green, while version 2 works better against white and yellow), so I end up with a ton of variety, total continuity and lots of control over the variables.

These are three hand designs with two different color schemes, set against a number of different background colors. As before, I've been working out my process on the less crucial areas, and I'm pretty confident now that this workflow is the ticket. Now, I just rinse and repeat 4-6 hours a day for the next four weeks (I think...?) and I'm home free.

Eezy peezy.
Hands-WIP1.jpg (3,528kb) downloaded 174 time(s).

roninsina
#512 Posted : 6/8/2022 1:09:45 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Wowsers! That is pretty reminiscent of the surface patterns I get as my synapses are getting primed for the jump to the other side Cool
"We dance round in a ring and suppose,
while the secret sits in the middle and knows." Robert Frost

Icyseeker
#513 Posted : 6/8/2022 3:33:09 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Could you either make a tutorial or point me to something that would allow me to try to create even a fraction of what you have made. You have inspired me.
May wisdom permeate through your life.

"What is survival if you do not survive whole. Ask the Bene Teilax that. What if you no longer hear the music of life. Memories are not enough unless they call you to noble purpose." God Emperor Leto ii

"The only past which endures lies wordlessly within you." God Emperor Leto ii

Bill Cipher
#514 Posted : 6/8/2022 8:31:23 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Thank you, guys. Regarding tutorials, I don't have any per se, but I do have a bunch of time lapses up here many pages back which show my process stroke for stroke.

If you want to learn ZBrush (and I highly encourage it), look for videos from Michael Pavlovitch and Joseph Drust. You can learn a whole bunch from them. Then it's just a matter of hours in the cockpit, applying what you've learned and finding your own personal workflow.

Bill Cipher
#515 Posted : 6/8/2022 10:47:14 PM

DMT-Nexus member

And here are the other three sets of hands with a couple different looks for each.
Hands-WIP2.jpg (3,762kb) downloaded 109 time(s).

Bill Cipher
#516 Posted : 6/20/2022 6:29:48 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Grinding, grinding, grinding.

Here are a couple of different color schemes of one completed set. He's coming along. Three weeks and counting, and I should have all layers completed.
WIP16.jpg (1,003kb) downloaded 100 time(s).
WIP14.jpg (988kb) downloaded 101 time(s).
WIP18.jpg (995kb) downloaded 100 time(s).
WIP15.jpg (883kb) downloaded 100 time(s).

downwardsfromzero
#517 Posted : 6/20/2022 9:14:10 PM

Boundary Condition

ModeratorChemical expert

Voidmatrix wrote:
Commissioning a non-tattoo artist for a tattoo design is a weird taboo in some tattoo cultures in the world. Sometimes the non-tattooing artist makes things too close knit, and sometimes too complex, for an tattoo artist to execute. It also depends on the tattoo artist's skill level.
Just picking up this thread from a short while back to say that I do know a guy who specifically makes artworks for a tattooist while not doing tattooing himself.

And to give some more appreciation for Bill's incredible efforts. The eye-busting palettes really are something, too. That kind of effect is especially fascinating to me, to the extent that I played around with high contrast colour schemes for many, many hours a couple of years ago.

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

Bill Cipher
#518 Posted : 6/20/2022 11:42:03 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Thanks, man. I'm having to work really fast here. They're all going to require a bunch of color correction at render time, but I'll leave that to the other guys. But because he doesn't even necessarily read as human with this much color on him, we can use other exotic, specular materials as well that will really make everything pop exxxtra hard in the end, and place him in weird, alien scenes that differ completely from the others.

He's being rigged now in Maya, and we're thinking now that everything will likely be rendered in Unreal engine.

Voidmatrix
#519 Posted : 6/21/2022 5:59:33 PM

Surrender and BE free

downwardsfromzero wrote:
Voidmatrix wrote:
Just picking up this thread from a short while back to say that I do know a guy who specifically makes artworks for a tattooist while not doing tattooing himself.

And to give some more appreciation for Bill's incredible efforts. The eye-busting palettes really are something, too. That kind of effect is especially fascinating to me, to the extent that I played around with high contrast colour schemes for many, many hours a couple of years ago.

Certainly. One can see some of those kinds of artists on Instagram. Some tattoo artists aren't fond of that though.

Bill Cipher wrote:
He's being rigged now in Maya, and we're thinking now that everything will likely be rendered in Unreal engine

An epic line for epic art. Stuff is fabulous brother!

One love

Bill Cipher
#520 Posted : 6/26/2022 7:46:26 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Here's another set and closeup of his latest face doodle.

15 more layers to go...
WIP19.jpg (1,052kb) downloaded 67 time(s).
WIP20.jpg (1,231kb) downloaded 67 time(s).

«PREV2425262728NEXT